hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Secure UK VPS - DPA Issues

Forum Jump

Secure UK VPS - DPA Issues

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 AM

Secure UK VPS - DPA Issues

Hey All,

Wondering if anyones got any good recommendations for a good secure UK VPS. Ive been using Dreamhost for years and there great however, One of my clients needs has drastically changed and they are now required to comply with the Data Protection Act.

In particular this bit make Dreamhost a bit of a no go due to them being in California:

"Personal information may not be transmitted outside the EEA unless the individual whom it is about has consented or adequate protection is in place, for example by the use of a prescribed form of contract to govern the transmission of the data."

Unless my client goes and asks all 1000+ customers they are kinda in a bit of a quandary. So here's what im looking for:
  • Secure UK Datacenter, eg Easynet, Blue Square etc
  • 128mb RAM, 256mb Burstable, 20GB storage, 500GB transfer
  • LAMP Environment
  • Support within Business Hours
  • Control Panel
If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Web Hosting Master

Hi,

What kind of budget do you have ?
Whats more important price or quality ?

John

Old 11-11-2007, 02:46 PM

Im trying to do around 8-10 a month.

Im going to be hosting a custom CRM system on it, which will be used by 2 people and a few hundred clients via a separate website. So its minimal load bear in terms of traffic, and MYSQL has done well on an old box i have here running similar load.

Also will have VPN, SSH etc setup for remote access.

Quality is important, I want stable machine, I cant afford to have it drop off every few days because the host has over sold etc or the servers old and hates its existence. In terms of where its located I dont mind to much as long as its within the UK and its in a data center which has good security against both physical and virtual threats.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

You will not get a quality VPS for 8 per month.

Quadruple your budget and you'll get a good one.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Junior Guru

You could look at CheapVPS.co.uk, who have plans at around that budget (check the offers first though). They have a UK datacenter and in my experience have been rock solid.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Realistically in the UK you aren't going to get Dreamhost type bandwidth and space limits for that price.

CheapVPS.co.uk is probably going to be as close as you get price-wise but if your budget is 10 a month you might want to look at high-quality shared hosting rather than some kind of bargain basement VPS. MySQL doesn't run well with 128MB of RAM.

Gavin

Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavint View Post
MySQL doesn't run well with 128MB of RAM.

Gavin
Yes it does if you know how to optomize things.

Cheapvps is probably going to be the best option if you have a low budget, however if you can afford 30 per month i'd recommend clustered.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Nominet Pilot Program Hopes to Help SMBs Combat Cyber Threats with Support, Advice Web Hosting News 2014-02-07 15:12:39
Outlook.com, SkyDrive Outage Impacts Small Group of Users Web Hosting News 2013-08-14 15:11:01
SiteLock and WebsiteAlive Partner to Secure Live Chat Web Hosting News 2013-06-21 12:06:42
Cloud Security Alliance Launches Website for Cloud-Related Legal Issues Web Hosting News 2013-02-25 11:27:00
Security Compliance Firm Trustwave Launches Security Education Services Web Hosting News 2012-09-07 13:55:48