Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Professional Webmail?

Well after 2 frustrating months of the worst pre-sales support I have ever experienced trying to get atmail (@mail) to answer our emails about their software(which we were on the verge of buying) we are giving up and reluctantly looking for an alternative solution to replace our current open source webmail client(roundcube).

Anyone have any experience of alternative software with a comparable interface/feature set? (from a company who actually wants our money)

Thanks in advance,

Terry Thorpe
    Last edited by shed; 11-09-2007 at 08:50 AM.

Does it have to be 100% open source? The nicest (IMO) webmail client and Outlook replacement is Zimbra. Hands down!

Link:
    http://www.zimbra.com

Demo:
    http://www.zimbra.com/products/hosted_demo.php
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    Does it have to be 100% open source? The nicest (IMO) webmail client and Outlook replacement is Zimbra. Hands down!

Link:
    http://www.zimbra.com
    They do an open source version of zimbra

http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html
    -- Adam

Zimbra is a full-fledged email server though. I wouldn't say it directly compares, or can even be used, in place of a stand alone webmail client (like Roundcube).

Quote Originally Posted by eger View Post
    Zimbra is a full-fledged email server though. I wouldn't say it directly compares, or can even be used, in place of a stand alone webmail client (like Roundcube).
    roundcube isnt in the same league - its a competitor to ms exchange / outlook web access with groupware functions

Thanks for the replies... Zimbra looks good, but is there a webmail only client version that will integrate with our current server setup? to clarify we are looking for an improved webmail client not a fully fledged email server ...

Terry

Have you looked on nutsmail. Eg Squirelmail but with some nice added graphic.
    It's still the same function as Squirrelmail, but it's look better.

http://www.nutsmail.com

we use atmail, and we are happy clients - we had quite some communications with them, and cant complain.

however, you ask for alternatives, how about http://www.open-xchange.com/ ?

d
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    we use atmail, and we are happy clients - we had quite some communications with them, and cant complain.

however, you ask for alternatives, how about http://www.open-xchange.com/ ?

d
    looks quite good except their contact form refuses UK zip codes!

I take it they have an open source edition somewhere?!

zip of 123456 gets round this :-)

save your money, build a box with qmail+qmailadmin and vpopmail then install roundcube.

worth the time to learn how to manage and admin qmail.
    fscking sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydestro View Post
    save your money, build a box with qmail+qmailadmin and vpopmail then install roundcube.

worth the time to learn how to manage and admin qmail.
    but a lot of people dont like roundcube and the OP even mentions it in his post. Plus, separate mail servers dont work well in conjunction with a lot of the control panels out there (creating accounts, etc).

Get Exchange 2007. The new OWA(Outlook Anywhere) is very robust and ajaxified.

I've tried mailenable enterprise for windows and imp webmail for linux, and I like them both. Support-wise, if you want to talk to someone directly and get things running quickly I suggest going with MailEnable, but if you want to do your own tweaking and support go with IMP. I've tried squiremail and roundcube. I don't like either. If you're looking for an opensource solution try IMP. They're starting an AJAX project also, and it starting to look pretty good.

@Mail is very good, and they seem to be fairly stable even with a large user base. Zimbra is excellent, but it is a resource hog! (and even the open-source version is very proprietary!)

Merak Icewarp has a very good web based email system that can be bought together or separated.

Thanks for all the replies guy's - we desperately wanted to buy atmail but they just dont bother replying to our emails... which in the event of issues with the software is unacceptable...

Were looking at Icewarp, which looks quite good at first glance - None of the open source solutions we have looked at so far are good enough for our purposes...

Thanks so far,

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Shed49 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guy's - we desperately wanted to buy atmail but they just dont bother replying to our emails... which in the event of issues with the software is unacceptable...

Were looking at Icewarp, which looks quite good at first glance - None of the open source solutions we have looked at so far are good enough for our purposes...

Thanks so far,

Terry
    The question though is: "Does Icewarp WebMail Pro work other mail servers or just their own?". I couldn't find an answer to that after a few minutes of skimming their site.

can u check socketmail that is also one good company, if you had already used it try mailenable

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    The question though is: "Does Icewarp WebMail Pro work other mail servers or just their own?". I couldn't find an answer to that after a few minutes of skimming their site.
    I had the exact same question. It's clear @mail webmail works with any mail server, but Icewarp webmail doesn't specify - at least not that I could find on their site.

Socketmail is a front line runner according to me. Support is back, new management = looks good to me

Almost a full year later since this original discussion took place. I would be very interested in learning what the outcome was, and whether or not it was a satisfying choice in retrospect?

I ask because I, too, am sick of the "default" cpanel webmail clients (roundtube has one of the worst user interfaces I have seen in a supposedly mature product). We are investigating Zimbra and it looks interesting if I can get enough clients to upgrade to such a premium solution.

So, a year later, what does everyone think of Zimbra and others?
    ---

Have you looked at Atmail?

There's even a Open Source version of Atmail now
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    Yes! Zimbra is excellent!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    Have you looked at Atmail?

There's even a Open Source version of Atmail now
    Re-read the OP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast