Thread: Domain privacy

Domain privacy

Right to cut a long story short i'm very very unhappy to have all my information showing up on whois and i no longer want any imformation to show up on any of the domains i get in the future so how do i go about this?.
    I had a phone call today and it was some strange guy and my mums not very happy about it and i would suspect they got it off my domain.

Damn mobiles not able to get the number of the caller.

It just better have not been my web hosts cause they will be suspicious now .
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

This has been discussed before, so try searching for the comments - however you are under contract with your registrar, and they with ICANN, to have accurate contact information in your whois record. Fail to do so may result in the loss of your domain.

Like it or not.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

And if i ever do find out if anyone calls me in the future and i don't want them to i'll go round there and knock seven shades of ***** out of them..

Originally posted by thewitt
    This has been discussed before, so try searching for the comments - however you are under contract with your registrar, and they with ICANN, to have accurate contact information in your whois record. Fail to do so may result in the loss of your domain.

Like it or not.

-t
    I it sounds like a stupid rule that Tony Blair would make up..

Tony Blair is a spineless prat and needs to be fed the dog sausage.

lol this may be unprofessional but i totally agree about tony. if they ban fox hunting they should legalise mp hunting. or at least scally hunting, anyone found tucking their trackies in their socks should be shot on sight.
    if you dont want your info showing use a po box \ or your hosts details.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by richy
    lol this may be unprofessional but i totally agree about tony. if they ban fox hunting they should legalise mp hunting. or at least scally hunting, anyone found tucking their trackies in their socks should be shot on sight.
    I but this huntings shoudl be at the bottom of this countrys issues..
    Like your comment about the trousers and Tony Blair is a wacko.

WHOIS details are awesome.

full information should be available upon request, the best thing anyone ever thought up in my opinion !
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic, but, I don't think Tony Blair, even though he may be an idiot, isn't responsible for your whois details being freely available. If you are worried about your private information being available then get a business line.

Well i don't have a business do i anyway i'm sure i'll find a domain company who respects people privacy.

Well i it's alright for you strike but when i put my photo online i get all these girls calling and it gets out of hand.

I a bet it's down to that bush of America.

Wait hand on lads i have edited this a bit.
    Last edited by ned patter; 08-03-2002 at 06:59 PM.

If the worst comes to the worst and i can't get anyone who will respect my privacy i'll just go for the forwarding url's.

Originally posted by ned patter
    Well i don't have a business do i anyway i'm sure i'll find a domain company who respects people privacy.
    It's not about respecting your privacy, it's simply an ICANN requirement if you are going to register a domain that's under ICANN control.

You can choose to enter anything you want in your whois record - until it's challenged at the registrar. If it's challenged, you have 15 days to correct it, or the registrar is bound by contract with ICANN to drop your domain.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Originally posted by richy
    Your too clever to be here Richy. Off topic but did you's hear about this Scottish girl 15 she was got raped and then in court she was made to feel like she was rubbish well mind you all 15 year olds are but anyway she killed herself shortly after that, i would say this is Tony blairs fault or these scottish guys which quite frankly are living in a dream world thinking they have power when several times i have requested firectly to them with a letter that all prostitutes should be banned from Scotland forever and still nothings been done and with me being a radio scanner that i am i can hear there are still many thousands of prostitutes in Scotland when Scotland is an historical country but it's not anymore it's one of ten worst places in the world in my opinion and we are infront of Africa since i bet there is more crime in Scotland than in Africa and it's not about being poor and having nothing to eat it is about if your poor you will be chucked in an area and robbed every night and no ones doing anything about it..

It's not about respecting your privacy, it's simply an ICANN requirement if you are going to register a domain that's under ICANN control.
    Yes, it isn't your web hosts fault, either, and it definitley isn't "that Bush from America". He has other, bigger things to screw up.

It's part of the public record, much like your property records and business ownership inormation are public info that is freely accessible at the local county courthouse to anyone who wants it. Like I said, get a business address and a business line if it bother you that much. If not, then, get a dedicated line for your internet stuff. It's not that expensive.

You can choose to enter anything you want in your whois record - until it's challenged at the registrar. If it's challenged, you have 15 days to correct it, or the registrar is bound by contract with ICANN to drop your domain.

-t
    Well i think this ICANN thing is well out of order and if my dad had the internet he wouldn't put up with this he would go around to the nearest ICANN employee and have a word with him or her..
    I'm considering seeing if there's a internet users union and then i'll challenge the ICANN.

Well i mean what should i do lads?, if i protest about this and go to the human rights people i could get somewhere because it is a human rights issue isn't it guys.

Get used to it, there is no privacy on the internet if you haven't figured that out yet.
    MagnaSavings.com - Tech Bargains & Deals
    Check with us before you buy anything with a power cord!

Well this could change.

Ned, when I first went online privacy was, and still is, a big concern after having been stalked in real life on more than one occasion. (Just call me "freak magnet")
    So when I wanted to get a domain, I first got a pobox, then registered a business name (used po box as address) and used that to register the domain. I changed my phone number to the business name which, (because it is a business) is not allowed to be unlisted, but you can have a say in what the listing says. So my phone bill goes to my business addy, but the public listing of my phone number only lists the city, not the entire address.
    That way it is all nice and legal, and I get some amount of privacy.
    You are right though, I get many calls from people trying to sell the business something business related. I simply say: "I'm sorry, it is not our policy to puchase anything presented over the phone. Any offers should be mailed to us for consideration, thank you"
    I supose you could list your cell phone instead of your mums phone to avoid those calls. The bonus is that it is illegal to solicite cell phones, and whenever I get such a call (even if it was transferred from my business line) I do not hesitate to tell them they are calling a cell phone. They usually hang up imediately.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Originally posted by ATST
    Ned, when I first went online privacy was, and still is, a big concern after having been stalked in real life on more than one occasion. (Just call me "freak magnet")
    So when I wanted to get a domain, I first got a pobox, then registered a business name (used po box as address) and used that to register the domain. I changed my phone number to the business name which, (because it is a business) is not allowed to be unlisted, but you can have a say in what the listing says. So my phone bill goes to my business addy, but the public listing of my phone number only lists the city, not the entire address.
    That way it is all nice and legal, and I get some amount of privacy.
    You are right though, I get many calls from people trying to sell the business something business related. I simply say: "I'm sorry, it is not our policy to puchase anything presented over the phone. Any offers should be mailed to us for consideration, thank you"
    I supose you could list your cell phone instead of your mums phone to avoid those calls. The bonus is that it is illegal to solicite cell phones, and whenever I get such a call (even if it was transferred from my business line) I do not hesitate to tell them they are calling a cell phone. They usually hang up imediately.
    I don't have a mobile phone, i've not been taken in by this faze although just to make things valid i could just give them the number i use for the internet well i think i have lost the number somewhere . I'm not as bothered about my house address well look if anyone starts with me and comes around here i'll do them in but with funny phone calls who can do with them.
    I'm a big fan with phone pranks, quite nasty ones as well but i'm having second thoughts about if i should be liking them since i would suspect half the calls i have have been done without telling the victim it was a joke and there nasty, i'm quite a big fan of prank calls actually, i have all the rare stuff from Scotland which hardly anyone has..
    Well it's foggy outside so i'm going to tune into the ships in the water..

The fog knock knock knock.

May the fresh mountain air not disturb your kilt, McNaulty lad

Ned, yes you can use the number which you use to go online with.
    Another reason why I changed my phone to a business one is because of caller ID. Now when I call someone, it doesn't give out my personal name.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Ohh that mcnaulty's a bit of a Scottish name, just noticed that..