* What software is best? [Must read especially for newbies!]

Okay, so, I'm tired of everyone posting these threads asking which software is best. I figured I would take some time to address such in a manner which is understandable to all! So keep reading.

Billing Software

It's pretty simple. There are many choices for billing software.

You have:
    WHMCS
    ClientExec
    ModernBill
    UberSmith
    phpCoin,
    and quite a few more.

Support Software

You have many, many, many here as well.

Kayako
    H2Desk
    PMOS Helpdesk
    Cerberus
    SupportTrio
    PerlDesk
    Bold Chat
    Crafty Syntax
    Help Center Live
    Live Help Messenger
    PHP Live

There are tons more that I can't come up with right off the top of my head.

Which one to pick? Which is best?

It's a simple answer. The best one for you is the one that suits your needs. Whatever has your set of requirements in your window of a budget for it is what you need.

If you need a free billing solution, phpCoin is an option. For paid, the remainder of the ones I listed are paid.

For helpdesk, PMOS is free, Help Center Live is free, Crafty Syntax is free. The remainder of those are paid as well.

The best one is relevant. Like with some things, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Well, with software, the best is also in the eye of the beholder. One person's opinion will vary from another.

The same premise applies to all software. Look at the features, make comparisons, make models and calculate your expenses and budgets, and get software accordingly.

Don't go asking us what is best, as you will get a huge variety of answers. Go with your gut instinct. Sure, check the threads for our recommendations in the past, but don't just trust our input to make the decisions for you. It will definitely not aid you in the end; it will probably make you worse off to use what is the "fad" at the time.
    Last edited by Dougy; 11-07-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Title edit.
    AS395558

Why would you run many separated software? Why not run a control panel that has billing and support tickets integrated? I don't get it...

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost View Post
    Why would you run many separated software? Why not run a control panel that has billing and support tickets integrated? I don't get it...

Thomas
    Because sometimes even those with most integrated features might be missing some important features that are needed for that particular company. Every companies needs are different thats what allows us to have more choices.

But I agree prefer a more intergrated system.
    LaneHost.com | Professional Web Hosting Solutions
    Affordable Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers at Great Prices!
    Follow us on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by LaneHost View Post
    Because sometimes even those with most integrated features might be missing some important features that are needed for that particular company.
    Can you give examples?

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

This always happens in these types of threads. The fact is, while some software may be best for most, it is not best for all. Every company in search of billing software should do their research and pick the one that is best for them.
    Blesta - The Billing Platform for Hosting Providers
    Client Management, Billing, & Support Software
    Trial - Demo | 714-923-7325 | Twitter @blesta

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost View Post

Thomas
    Thomas is right to use any billing software then its better to chose a control panel because mostly control panels support this list.

but regarding ticketing system mostly control panels are missing the list of good ticketing software, For that I will suggest you Kayako or Support Trio