Thread: Dual processor

Dual processor

Hi,

Is there a big difference between having a server with dual rather than single processors

Thamks
    ivaninch

Depending on what you are using it for yea it can make a huge difference. If you are just going to be hosting striaght HTML sites then you would not need a dual processor system, but if you are going to have alot of mysql database activity then I would consider getting a dual processor system.

You might get some better replies if you posted a less ambiguous question - i.e. I am trying to host x and I was wondering if y can handle it.

Basically, 1 processor x 2 != twice as fast, but there will be noticable speed differences (depending on what you are doing). You have to balance out whether or not the speed requirements of your project will necessitate the larger server price tag.
    i beat the internet. the end guy is hard

well... usually the upgrade of a server from single to dual at the inital setup stage is much cheaper than the future upgrade to either a new server or an additional server... but then again... it also depends on how far down the line they expect to truly need the power...

well, it depends. I would say the performance gain for CPU intensive jobs are something like 30% only, but of course, this varies depending on your server platform.

Currently, I suggest Linux for multi processor machines, FreeBSD is nice, but only ver.5 will have the better SMP support.

Does everything in Linux take advantage of multiple processors or is it like in Windows NT/2K/XP? systems where only special software such as Adobe programs can take advantage of the second processor?

Originally posted by mushrew
    Does everything in Linux take advantage of multiple processors or is it like in Windows NT/2K/XP? systems where only special software such as Adobe programs can take advantage of the second processor?
    Not all programs can take advantage of multiple processors on Linux. The operating system itself can, of course. Apache can, as can any PHP, CGI or whatever you have hanging off Apache.

The difference between servers and desktops is that servers (when they're busy) are often running several programs at the same time - and Linux can put different programs on different processors whether the programs themselves support multiple processors or not.

Originally posted by PixyMisa

Not all programs can take advantage of multiple processors on Linux. The operating system itself can, of course. Apache can, as can any PHP, CGI or whatever you have hanging off Apache.

The difference between servers and desktops is that servers (when they're busy) are often running several programs at the same time - and Linux can put different programs on different processors whether the programs themselves support multiple processors or not.
    Thanks for the info!

Thank you all,

Very helpful

Regards
    Brendan

deleted

Duals are the way to go =)

Every server I have is a dual Intel CPU monster! mooahwhahah!

I need to lay off the coffe..
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

what kinda cpu?

I was just wondering what cpu you where looking at. a good friend of mine works at intel and if you want a good chip for the price get the p3 tualitan with 512cache. the p3 are a better chip for server opperations is what i have herd? anyone else have any other opinion?

hope the helps,

Will

Currently, I suggest Linux for multi processor machines

I hear the opposite at my current host - that linux servers doesn't effectively utilize 2 processors - anyone explain?

John

Originally posted by apollo
    well, it depends. I would say the performance gain for CPU intensive jobs are something like 30% only, but of course, this varies depending on your server platform.
    It varies greatly, but the actual program you want to run is very much a factor. For some things you can expect performance gains of 95% or similar.

Alot of people dont realize when they instal duel procs you have to compile the kernel with smp support.

www.2cpu.com has alot fo info on SMP and dual CPUs
    www.vp6-board.com