DNS on different servers

Hello,

In order to keep a web site always online I am thinking the following...

I have two servers on different datacenter. On the site I am interested I want put the following DNS:

Primary DNS: ns1.server1.com
    Secondary DNS: ns1.server2.com

Will it work? If one server fails will my visitors go automatically to the second one? Any conflicts?

Please advice..

You'll have to mirror your data on both servers.

And, then configure round robin dns.

Or use, http://www.zoneedit.com/ they have a fail over system, and I think you can use it for free. It does have a 5 Min delay.

Well of course I will upload any new pages on both servers, that's not a problem.

What is this about the "configure round robin dns"??

round robin dns, is where you have two or more A records for a hostname. But, all it will do is load balance, and when one server goes down, half the visitors will be unable to access your website.

With zoneedit, their service monitors your servers. And, when one goes down, it removes it from dns rotation.

Thats ok if you have a static html site, but if its database driven for instance you'll find them going out of sync.
    Brian McCluskey
    http://www.lightningservers.net
    Email: sales AT lightningservers DOT net

I believe the purpose of listing two or more DNS servers with your registrar is so when your primary DNS server fails, the registrar can refer another authoritative server for your domain. Also, you should set up your DNS servers so one is primary and one secondary, so when you make changes to the primary the changes automagically get updated on the secondary.
    Jay Kramer - Operations Manager
    Affordable Colocation and Dedicated Servers
    www.colostore.com 1-877-719-3698

Originally posted by jkca
    I believe the purpose of listing two or more DNS servers with your registrar is so when your primary DNS server fails, the registrar can refer another authoritative server for your domain. Also, you should set up your DNS servers so one is primary and one secondary, so when you make changes to the primary the changes automagically get updated on the secondary.
    does it mean that there is no such need like "round robin" ???
    if so then where this round robin thing fits ??? :O