My Gripe with Control Panels (Ensim, CPanel)

Ok...

So, I'm not an expert at Linux/Server management... I've picked up things as I've gone along. Learned how to do enough to run a server, install/compile things I need, make apache modifications, domain settings etc... basically run a site on a dedicated server. This was on a RedHat system. I did use Webmin for a few of the mail configuations.

So, I signed up for an Ensim server over at rackshack for testing purposes... just to see how things go... and just now, I've gotten a CPanel machine at FastServers.net.

My big gripe with both of these packages is that while they TRY to help you out... the biggest problem is that they don't do _quite_ enough or have significant bugs which force you to resort to the "old school" method... the moment that happens - you've lost any advantage of using such a control panel...

Suddenly, you're trying to become the expert at a proprietary system... you're searching Ensim and CPanel message boards, looking for someone who has the same cryptic problem that you have... and you find out you end up having to go to the shell anyhow to fix the problem.... and then, you work around the control panel, so you can't use it again for that particular setting.

huh? Does anyone see the madness?

arn

why don't you give plesk a try?
    spam --> /dev/null

Re: My Gripe with Control Panels (Ensim, CPanel)

Originally posted by arn
    Ok...

So, I'm not an expert at Linux/Server management... I've picked up things as I've gone along. Learned how to do enough to run a server, install/compile things I need, make apache modifications, domain settings etc... basically run a site on a dedicated server. This was on a RedHat system. I did use Webmin for a few of the mail configuations.

So, I signed up for an Ensim server over at rackshack for testing purposes... just to see how things go... and just now, I've gotten a CPanel machine at FastServers.net.

My big gripe with both of these packages is that while they TRY to help you out... the biggest problem is that they don't do _quite_ enough or have significant bugs which force you to resort to the "old school" method... the moment that happens - you've lost any advantage of using such a control panel...

Suddenly, you're trying to become the expert at a proprietary system... you're searching Ensim and CPanel message boards, looking for someone who has the same cryptic problem that you have... and you find out you end up having to go to the shell anyhow to fix the problem.... and then, you work around the control panel, so you can't use it again for that particular setting.

huh? Does anyone see the madness?

arn
    Can you sight specific examples?
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

I recommend HostGUi when it is released .. cPanel is great though..
    Last edited by TimPD; 08-04-2002 at 04:25 AM.

I run CPanel boxes, and while I'll admit that CPanel does have its quirks, I would definately not say that I've "lost any advantage of using such a control panel" because of them.
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

my first recommendation is Etrinix Command Matrix(http://www.etrinix.com/cm/demo.php), and then CPanel, Helm and others ...

Re: Re: My Gripe with Control Panels (Ensim, CPanel)

Originally posted by Jag

Can you sight specific examples?
    Ensim I just spent a week or so on - some of the hurdles included CPAN modules can mess up the Perl installation on Ensim, "developer" accounts GCC's didn't work due to permission issues, had to install 3rd party software (ensigmpkg) to install apps into the virtual domains. Besides, the documention is relatively lacking anything, necessitating documents such as http://ensim.webscorpion.com/ which provides some excellent workarounds and tips to make things work with Ensim... but is it giving you that much advantage having to jump through hoops otherwise?

Is Ensim for me? maybe not... maybe I'm trying to do too much with an Ensim install... and shouldn't try to customize/install apps on an Ensim Config

CPanel

I am working with CPanel now - but I guess it takes some getting used to have to change yourself to work around limitations of the packages:

Won't delete usernames with less than 8 chars. Will delete them in CPanel, but not in the actual system... so you can't add them again. I don't know what sort of discrepancies this leaves in their own config files if I delete the names myself.

AddOn Domain names function does not work with existing domains. Therefore can't host multiple domains within one account. ( http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=3948 ).

And if your answer starts with... "well, just ssh in..." - then, that's my point.

arn

Originally posted by FDrive
    I run CPanel boxes, and while I'll admit that CPanel does have its quirks, I would definately not say that I've "lost any advantage of using such a control panel" because of them.
    perhaps I was exaggerating

arn

Re: Re: Re: My Gripe with Control Panels (Ensim, CPanel)

Originally posted by arn
    AddOn Domain names function does not work with existing domains. Therefore can't host multiple domains within one account. ( http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=3948 ).
    You can host multiple domains within one account. If they are existing domains you have to set them up manually. The Addon Domains feature works well with newly registered domains.

Re: Re: Re: Re: My Gripe with Control Panels (Ensim, CPanel)

Originally posted by Curious Too

You can host multiple domains within one account. If they are existing domains you have to set them up manually. The Addon Domains feature works well with newly registered domains.
    "Just SSH in..." ?

I can add domains manually into httpd.conf... but then does the server accept mail for them? Can I use CPanel to admin those as well?

arn