Thread: Bulletin Board

Arrow Bulletin Board

I'm looking for a good Bulletin Board/Message Board product...It needs to have a calendar function, ability to attach documents to messages, and take surveys/polls. Any suggestions? Thank you.

www.phpbb.com and mod it.
    Its free.
    Otherwise, http://www.vbulletin.com
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

yup... these are the best

Question

Has anyone tried xmb?
    Any experiences, good or bad?
    Etrinix Corporation
    http://www.etrinix.com

Has anyone tried xmb?
    Any experiences, good or bad?
    after XMB come with CPanel I try it for few days. and what I can to say: you need a lot of hacking before you reach something like vbulletin or php have in default installation. second reason I don't like it - many security holes. very many. at least in v1.6

I tend to agree that XMB is not the best choice, especially for busy forums. phpBB and vBulletin are much better options.

Just my .02 cents.

I use phpbb on our sites which is really fast and good.
    The only other one i would consider is the Ibforums one. Which is the original coder from ikonboard who has gone his way. Its a very fast php solution too.

www.ibforums.com

Slav

XMB is nice and functions well too although, I'd have to agree that phpBB and vBulletin are top right now. Also, stay away from UBB, it takes up a lot of resources.
    Affordable Hosting Solutions
    CitadelHost.com

PhpBB2 is very nice.
    YaBBse is quite similar (don't confuse it with the CGI version) and very extendible
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

Originally posted by Slav
    I use phpbb on our sites which is really fast and good.
    The only other one i would consider is the Ibforums one. Which is the original coder from ikonboard who has gone his way. Its a very fast php solution too.

www.ibforums.com

Slav
    I agree the Invision Discussion board is pretty nice (www.ibforums.com), although I do not think there is a calendar funcution for it. I thing there is a site for mods for it somewhere.

Tracy Phillips

Originally posted by blacknight
    PhpBB2 is very nice.
    YaBBse is quite similar (don't confuse it with the CGI version) and very extendible
    the only problem the yabb one still has heaps of bugs and its not a perfect forum.My opinon only though

I've been using YaBB for some time and although there were bugs with some of the earlier releases there aren't any noticeable ones with the current version. I suppose it depends on which features you enable/use
    Blacknight

Originally posted by Weberz

I agree the Invision Discussion board is pretty nice (www.ibforums.com), although I do not think there is a calendar funcution for it. I thing there is a site for mods for it somewhere.
    No they both lack that but thy both have them as addons form their respective hack sites.But they are fast php forums and good security. I mean they will take a huge load not problems.

Originally posted by blacknight
    I've been using YaBB for some time and although there were bugs with some of the earlier releases there aren't any noticeable ones with the current version. I suppose it depends on which features you enable/use
    No youre right they have improved it but i still feel its not a ready forum as yet. Its a great start. I think the development is a bit slow at the moment there. Again my thoughts only.

If you can't afford the outlay for vBulletin then the options discussed are all probably viable.
    Blacknight

Thank you for the help. VBulletin seems good. Do they allow attachments on postings...i.e. a word or PDF file? What are VBs best/distinctive features? How easy is this for me to install on the server (red hat with ensim)?

VBulletin seems good. Do they allow attachments on postings...i.e. a word or PDF file?
    by default you can only atach JPG/GIF/TXT/ZIP and few more types of files. now you have 2 choices - compress to ZIP before atach, or change types of allowed files in admin panel.
    What are VBs best/distinctive features?
    it's a looooooong story, and everybody have diferent opinion
    How easy is this for me to install on the server (red hat with ensim)?
    first of all you can buy install from developers. but if you have any experence with PHP and MySQL probably you have no problems with install. or you can ask buddy to install it for you

Originally posted by ENYC
    Thank you for the help. VBulletin seems good. Do they allow attachments on postings...i.e. a word or PDF file? What are VBs best/distinctive features? How easy is this for me to install on the server (red hat with ensim)?
    Yeah its not that hard to install at all.The only issue is the cost involved and really the other two forums will do what this one can and they cost noithing.