Thread: Fish tanks

Fish tanks

See these fish tanks what kind of price do they go for these days?.
    I'm thinking of getting some gold fish and i'm wanting a tank for them so i'm just wondering how much they go for..

See likesy these big fish tanks i was looking at the today and the price of them is just terrible, some went for 200..

I would like a tank with one of these bubble thing to tickle the fish..

I don't want to be paying alot cause i haven't got much money..

I also want a fish tank that won't need much cleaning cause i'm not cleaning it out everyday..

What's the place to go to if your looking for a fish tank lads?.

I also don't want it to make a mess..
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

For goldfish i'd suggest something around 20 gallons .. A company called Eclipse makes some pretty nice starter tanks that have the filters in the lid for easy cleaning. I've seen complete eclipse setups around $60 US

As far as cleaning tanks go, the biggest mistake people make is overfeeding the fish.. Take a pinch of fish food.. throw half of it back in the can, and give the rest to the fish.. They should be able to eat 90% of it before it hits the bottom of the tank. (my rule of thumb) Fish will also quickly learn from where the food comes and can become quite accomplished beggars.

you can get Hagen tanks quite cheap, almost 30-50 USD for a really large one.

Also, if you ever wondered why your fish keep dieing after one day, its because of the chlorine in the tap water. Before you introduce your fish to the tank, add a few drops of the treatement and let the water sit for 24 hours.

I a had these goldfish right and i got them out of pets r us now pets at home i think and after 1 week one of them died and so did the..
    I was really unhappy with that cause obviously the fish i got from pets at home had a disease and the fish i put them in with i had for like 11 years..
    Looks like looking after fish is going to be a challenge..

I had like this big glass tank but that was a pest to clean out like.

Originally posted by eepgfx
    you can get Hagen tanks quite cheap, almost 30-50 USD for a really large one.

Also, if you ever wondered why your fish keep dieing after one day, its because of the chlorine in the tap water. Before you introduce your fish to the tank, add a few drops of the treatement and let the water sit for 24 hours.
    Funny how you knew my fish died.
    Tablets too, this is going to cost a bit like.
    So do you think the council killed my fish?.
    I have never thought about tap water and fish before, i think before you buy fish you should get told how to deal with the water..

Originally posted by redjackryan
    For goldfish i'd suggest something around 20 gallons .. A company called Eclipse makes some pretty nice starter tanks that have the filters in the lid for easy cleaning. I've seen complete eclipse setups around $60 US

As far as cleaning tanks go, the biggest mistake people make is overfeeding the fish.. Take a pinch of fish food.. throw half of it back in the can, and give the rest to the fish.. They should be able to eat 90% of it before it hits the bottom of the tank. (my rule of thumb) Fish will also quickly learn from where the food comes and can become quite accomplished beggars.
    I have an ecplise system that has a 25 gallon tank. Although it cost well over $350 USD. I highly recemmend these systems.

Strange I have an Eclipse system and the filtration system doesn't do squat. I have to hand clean the thing everyweek.

I clean mine monthly but suffer servere fish lose.

I have a 55 gallon wide tank for one of my snakes. :x
    Jason

aren't water snails a good idea for cleaning fishtanks? They don't do it all, but I hear they do help keep the slime down a bit.

<<-- confimed cat person here, so not the world's greatest fish expert.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Yes, you are correct. The only thing that ius wrong with snails is they multiply very fast. I bought two of them, put them in the tank at night. The next morning I had 21 snails!!!!!!!! Watch out! haha

Wow I didn't know there were so many fish lovers over at WTH
    Perhaps someone should start a fishytalk.com hehe

I had a bunch for about 2 years. I went and bought some snails to "clean the tank" but they ended up killing all the fish

No I have an empty tank and I'm thinking of getting some Iguanas

Last year I had the bright idea of putting a fish tank in my office. The fish didn't think it was that great an idea and promptly passed on . One of the secretaries felt sorry for me and bought me some glass fish suspended by glass bubbles.

Now I have all the effect without the hassle! If the water starts turning color I just dump some chlorine in there.

I should have thought of that before and spared the poor little guys.
    Feelings are not tools for rational thought.

I've never owned an eclipse system myself, my suggestion was based on experiences friends of mine have had with them. When i got into fish keeping, i jumped in feet first and got the biggest tanks that would fit in my living room. (1 -150gal 2- 55 gal) The big tank is saltwater the two 55's are freshwater.

Chlorine will do terrible things to your fish, what i do is keep a spare 30gallon tank full , treat it with chemical remover and use that to top off the tanks during water changes. A few friends skip that process and just add tap water to their tanks and squirt a bit of the chemical treatment right into the tank. I'm not that trusting, but their fish seem not to mind.

Personally i'd stay away from the chain pet-stores, i've had terrible fish mortality rates with them. Although most of them offer some kind of guarrantee, if the fish dies bring it in and they'll replace it.. Whatever, I still prefer the mom and pop aquarium shop (if you can find one)

Welcome to an expensive hobby

Originally posted by redjackryan

Welcome to an expensive hobby
    No Kidding. These fish get expensive when you start trying to replace the dead ones.

What the heck is the user that is the fish guy here. I haven't seen him posting lately (not that I've noticed) but he does the mail order fish thing...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken