Thread: sliced html...

sliced html...

can someone give me the lowdown on what exactly this means? people have been using this term when talking about templates on the related offers and requests forum, and for the life of me i can't figure out what it means.

Slicing an image is where are cut a larger image into lots of smaller parts to load faster on a page.

It's usualy done with a piece of software and almost always produces horribly overweight code.
    Colin

Dogma that is semi-true. You shouldn't just put the page out without going over what the program generates anyways and adding style sheets, etc.

Originally posted by Dogma
    It's usualy done with a piece of software and almost always produces horribly overweight code.
    Not really, ImageReady does a great job.

Oh Dogma, dejavu
    Hey I have 1 more post than you now

Originally posted by timechange

Not really, ImageReady does a great job.
    Not really, ImageReady does a horrible job. Sorry to butt heads with you tc, but it's true.

It is so much better to hand code, image slicing uses extranous tables, spacer gifs, all those horrible things...

You can of course, do the image slicing and then code your own html...
    Colin

Splicing images with Fireworks 2 turned out to be a disaster for me - the image couldn't even fit together after that! But Adobe 6 did a great job it.

I think I'm off the point of this topic

I slice my images without using any program, just cut and pasting with MS Paint lol

Originally posted by Dogma

Not really, ImageReady does a horrible job. Sorry to butt heads with you tc, but it's true.

It is so much better to hand code, image slicing uses extranous tables, spacer gifs, all those horrible things...

You can of course, do the image slicing and then code your own html...
    You must be using an older version; ImageReady that comes with Photoshop 7.0 has settings that produce absolutely clean code. You can turn spacers on or off, force widths in TD cells and more.

If you are concerned about 2 extra comment lines it adds, you can manually delete them