pings all time out, host says ICMP is disabled for security, needed?!?

When I ping any of my domains on the new fastservers.net server, they all time out.

I asked the host about this and was told that ICMP was disabled on most CPanel servers to prevent DoS attacks... I know that some of my customers will be uneasy not being able to ping their domain...

Your thoughts?

Dont worrie about it. They are right. Not replying to pings saves bandwidth. Personally, I would say live with it, its not the end of the world.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Is it easily changeable down the road if we choose to?

You lost me there. WHat do you mean by changeable? It is your host who has the settings right?
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

I'm asking if it's easy to enable ICMP... I asked fastservers.net and got this non-response:

This is your server and you can configure in any way that you wish. ... Please feel free to make configuration changes as you see fit.
    Now, I'm a newbie at this and this is my 2nd day with a dedicated server...

Aha, a dedicated server

It should be easy to run it again, but it depends on how they blocked it in the first place

Probably through a firewall configuration. It could be a line in rc.local, or maybe something else. I'm not sure.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

I suppose for now the setup is fine as it stands, I'll be sure to bug everyone again if I need to let my customers ping their domains (We all have those quirky customers!)

FYI: u can redirect those customers to
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/...astservers.net
    coz most of the times these kinda customers pings to
    check/test the availability ...

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all

if there's a 1 in there that's how they did it (assuming they didn't do something else as well).

To re-enable:
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all

edit for clarity (I hope)
    Lagniappe Internet L.L.C. - Wholesale Reseller and VPS Hosting.
    Lagniappe (lan-yap) - An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.
    HostEntrepreneur - Hosting news, reviews, tips, tricks, help and the occassional rant