credit card chargebacks against PayPal due to Cyberwings

Can someone tell me about credit card chargebacks? I've never done one and don't want to do one, but I don't think that I will ever get any money back from the Cyberwings fiasco if I don't go to the credit card company. PayPal stated that Cyberwings was at fault, but there was no further money in their account. Someone stated that the credit card companies go after PayPal - not Cyberwings. Is that true? If it is, will it affect my PayPal account if I have a chargeback against PayPal? Also, will it affect my credit rating if I ask for a chargeback from my credit card company. I don't want to ask these questions directly to PayPal or the credit card company and raise a red flag with them unless it's necessary. I might just drop the whole thing if it just ends up making matters worse by negatively affecting my credit rating.

Hello,

If you used a credit card to pay with PayPal then you can call you actual credit card company and dispute it.

I had to do this last month and the rep at my credit card company said to make sure you dispute it with PayPal first because of you call your CC company directly and dispute a charge you lose your right to dispute it with PayPal (PayPal policy).

In this case you have already attempted it with PayPal so I would call my CC company and dispute the charge.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew

I appreciate your information.

Anne

And don't be surprised when Paypal closes your account.

Oh, remove your checking account from the account first, I've heard more than one story about a chargeback amount being then taken from the checking account, I have no clue as to the truth but it'd worry me enough to make sure to cover my bases BEFORE I do the chargeback.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

LOL gotta love that, its what i'd expect, but the fact everyone else knows the same "dont be surprised when paypal closes your account", that says a mouthfull about their service level . I'm starting to get concerned on our own account, the funds are beginning to grow from users who really want to pay with paypal, but im not sure if i add the priority colo bank account (this paypal was my personal, ditched personal use long ago though) if they'll suspend the account for "suspicious activity", or how much i can withdraw, and how often before it's tagged as suspicious .
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Hi anne2000,

I do not foresee an issue if you filed a complaint through PayPal first. You filed a complaint first, which is following our User Agreement.

Hi dixiesys,

Buyers that do chargebacks do not have issues with bank account access at all. Sellers that are liable for chargebacks (only for sellers that opened their account after October 11,2001) can have their bank account accessed for chargeback liability recovery, which is not much different than many merchant service providers.
    Damon
    PayPal Consumer Relations

Originally posted by paypaldamon
    Hi dixiesys,

Buyers that do chargebacks do not have issues with bank account access at all. Sellers that are liable for chargebacks (only for sellers that opened their account after October 11,2001) can have their bank account accessed for chargeback liability recovery, which is not much different than many merchant service providers.
    Ya know, those chargebacks stories very well mighta been sellers complaining that THEIR checking accounts were the ones hit, when you read those paypal sucks sites you are well advised to take it all with a grain and then remember you're only getting told half the story.

I've always maintained that I've never had a problem with Paypal and I do (what I consider) a nice volume through you guys. My Paypal debit card looks like it's been dragged behind a car But I can't say I don't read some of the stories and not feel some twinges of worry.
    resident grumpy redneck

Thanks, paypaldamon

Can I ask you another question, Damon?

I only asked for a refund for 2 transactions from PayPal because only 2 of them were within the 30 day period when I discovered that Cyberwings was unscrupulous.

What would happen if I asked for a chargeback from my credit card company that included transactions that occurred before the 30-day period that PayPal allows? Would PayPal dispute it, or would the credit card company grant it to me anyway?

I know that this applies to a lot of people because a lot of them were deliberately 'strung along' by CW until PayPal's 30-day expiration period occurred.

Thanks again,
    Anne

I am not with paypal. But I have had long discussion regarding Cyberwings with them. They advised me to dispute the charges even if they are outside of 30 days. This will add to the restriction of the account and Shawn would be forced to settle up prior to gaining access to the account. Besides it can't hurt can it?

Thanks, Hig

You previously stated that you received all but $7.00 refunded from PayPal, right? Did that refund include any transactions beyond the 30-day limit?

Perhaps I should dispute the charges for the over-30-day period with PayPal before contacting my credit card company to ask for a chargeback.

Even though there is no money in Cyberwings paypal account any more..

You can still do a charge back, as I remember, PayPal will foot the bill for the chargeback, but if enough users chargeback on paypal, I'm sure they will want to recover the lost funds from CyberWings though other legal means

Thanks, Prohacker,

That's a good point. The legal power behind PayPal/eBay could put pressure on CW to refund money to the PayPal/CW customers - including the more vocal ones like Macsamurai - rather than letting CW continue to play games with people.

Originally posted by anne2000
    Thanks, Prohacker,

That's a good point. The legal power behind PayPal/eBay could put pressure on CW to refund money to the PayPal/CW customers - including the more vocal ones like Macsamurai - rather than letting CW continue to play games with people.
    Talk about understatements.

The legal power of Ebay/Paypal could produce enough pressure to turn raw coal into diamonds.
    resident grumpy redneck