Need good advice

How would you decide between venturesonline.com and nocster.com? I'm currently with ventures and they are pretty good most of the time but they cost a lot. I keep on hearing good things about nocster.com so I might switch since for the price i'm paying for 1 server at ventures I can get at least 4 servers at nocster.com. So I basically need to know more about nocster... how's their support and uptime?

so nocster.com is burstnet? anyone know anything about that?

Also, is it really necessary to use SCSI rather than IDE? I never really noticed a difference... when does it make a difference? I heard SCSI is better when a website does a lot of database querying... please help.

Thanks, I really apprecaite the help.
    Best,

Chris
    When I used to

What type of business do you have? Would it be affected much my the occasional network outage/slowdown? If network reliability is important, I would stick with VO as they have had less complaints about network problems here at WHT (Just do a quick search here)

There is a performance difference between SCSI and IDE, but depends on if your server needs to access the HD frequently. If you are running a streaming, database or large website as SCSI drive may be a better solution.

Hope that helps!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Re: Need good advice

How would you decide between venturesonline.com and nocster.com? I'm currently with ventures and they are pretty good most of the time but they cost a lot. I keep on hearing good things about nocster.com so I might switch since for the price i'm paying for 1 server at ventures I can get at least 4 servers at nocster.com. So I basically need to know more about nocster... how's their support and uptime?
    Mike's already made a good post... I've not used either company before, but my own opinion is that you should stick with Ventures Online as they do seem to have not as much network problems than Nocster. It's true that Nocster's price is far cheaper than VO, but remember... most of the time you get what you pay for. In regards to Nocster's support, I've heard that it's very good and they do actually help you with any problems that you may have. Uptime is a completely different thing as there have been many posts here about their network going down for no reason, or just going down too often. If your website is a business and you would like to provide a good internet presense to your customers then VO would have the better uptime.

so nocster.com is burstnet? anyone know anything about that?
    Yes, Burst.NET is the parent company of Nocster, Burst provides the higher quality, more expensive dedicated servers whereas Nocster is the comparison to Rackshack type of dedicated servers. They've been around for MANY years, overall a good company, but still... they don't have a very stable network.

Also, is it really necessary to use SCSI rather than IDE? I never really noticed a difference... when does it make a difference? I heard SCSI is better when a website does a lot of database querying... please help.
    That's correct... when you use database querying, lots of writing will be performed on the hard disk, so it'll be a faster than using an IDE hard disk. It's something that you'll notice when you have a lot of RAM and a good processor... giving a powerful server .

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Thanks for the help thus far.

How bad is the network problem at nocster? Is there a place where I can see some stats on it?
    Best,

Chris
    When I used to