Domain Transfer - .com (Germany)

Hello everyone!
    I am about to go from Shared to Dedicated. Due to that change I also need to change the provider - and thus need to transfer my domain. Now, transferring DE domains is a pain in the ... but I heard that COM domains are quite easy to transfer.
    Basically I was only able to find information about DE domains - lots of paper work.
    What I heard about COM domains was, that you can, as long as you are the Admin-C and owner of that domain, transfer it by Email? Is that true? It would make me feel very comfortable if I do not have to rely on my old hosts generosity.
    If its indeed possible to transfer a domain via Email, can you tell me something about it or maybe you know a website where I can search info? Thanks!

that's true

.com's don't have something like those compex "KK forms" which .DE has.

.com/net/org domains can be transfered easily. You need to get the transfer auth. code (go to the registrar, request it and normally its in the admin-c's inbox in a few minutes), then you need to check if the domain is unlocked (if not -> registrar page).
    just initate a transfer at the new registrar (whatever you like, e.g. domainsite.com, domaincentral.com, namecheap.com etc.), there you need to enter the transfer auth. code, pay, approve the transfer mail which you get normally between 4 and 24hours, then the transfer takes a maxium time of about a week - depending on your old registrar, the old one has to release it, then the transfer is done

You don't need to transfer your domain just because you are changing providers.

Domain name registration and domain name hosting are two entirely separate things. Many providers offer both as a package, which leads many people to think that the two are somehow bound together, but they are not. And it is accepted wisdom in the industry that you should keep the two separate because that gives YOU (rather than someone else) control of your domain names. If you allow your host to have control of your domains, and you fall out with your host, it's much easier to move away if they don't also control your domains.

If your domains were registered through your current hosting provider then you obviously will want to move them away. However, it is highly recommended that you move them to someone OTHER THAN your new hosting provider.