Thread: Pirated Content

* Pirated Content

So this customer used about 2mb transfer per day, and I know all the sites that use great loads of bandwidth, so when I say he used 3gb in a day, I checked his account and found pirated movies. Needless to say I terminated his account. then he emailed me:

"hi, i would like to know why my site got cancelled?"

eh, just thought that was kind of funny

LOL

Can't blame him for trying.. J/K

Possibly he didn't put them there? Might be worth a look at the FTP upload logs
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Re: Pirated Content

Originally posted by IT Hosting
    So this customer used about 2mb transfer per day, and I know all the sites that use great loads of bandwidth, so when I say he used 3gb in a day, I checked his account and found pirated movies. Needless to say I terminated his account. then he emailed me:

"hi, i would like to know why my site got cancelled?"

eh, just thought that was kind of funny
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

You actually has to tell him in advance why you will be shutting down his site. That way he can remove the content, and if he doesn't, then you remove it. Give him a couple of days notice or something.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Originally posted by reptilian-fe
    You actually has to tell him in advance why you will be shutting down his site. That way he can remove the content, and if he doesn't, then you remove it. Give him a couple of days notice or something.
    Yep i agree.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Originally posted by reptilian-fe
    I disagree. In our TOS we clearly state that we can/will terminate without notice for violations like this. They agree to the policies when they sign up and that is the risk they take.

Andrew

Well... I went looking at one of those sites with legal stuff about webhosting, copyright, etc. There were some info on how to exactly deal with pirated things on the web.

Check out http://www.chillingeffects.org/

And... you don't have to worry so much if you just send them an e-mail. It doesn't hurt to be a little nice. After all... maybe he didn't put it on his site, hackers and other baddies do a lot of damage.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

I tottaly agree!

if it's in the TOS to kill the account without notice then you did the right thing!

Why would you permit the user time to remove the content? That would be one of the dumbest things you could do if you ask me, because an account thats abusing your policy should be removed, not given second changes. The average joe who wants their website hosted, either wants hosting, or wants to put warez on your box, most people dont go "humm, i can get my .com up and open a dump too!" either his content will be 99% legit, or 0% legit typically, if you find warez, thats probably the only reason they ever got the account in the first place, giving them a second chance will just let them hide it, etc.

Whatever is in TOS, we should at least give one warning/suspend his website for some hrs.

After all we're all humans... bound to do mistakes
    doesn't mean i'm trying to support the faulters...

But just trying to say that try to exchange places and see how you feel if without notice your account gets cancelled.
    ok.. i may hear many voices that i do not do these at all!!

yeah i can also say that! because i'm hosting provider...
    more powerful.. noone to check me...

have a look at this post also:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=63089

cheers!

ah we get those kinds of things all the time.

"But I only downloaded the music from Kazaa, it wasn't illegal or anything!"

I once uploaded a zip of a program for an associate to DL.
    He had a licensed copy, (I am sure because he is a close friend who bought his first, then told me about it and I bought a copy for myself after) but was out of town and found he needed it to use temporaily on his laptop. Of course emailing an 11 MB zip was out of the question.
    I hate to think of my account being terminated just for having it on my webspace at the time. (I probably left it up there for a week or better) I doubt my BW increased by much though, but I think a notice would be a good idea.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Does he have anonymous ftp? If so, some pirate could have uploaded to his account. Just like spammers scan for vulnerable formmails, pirates scan for open anonymous ftp's.

This was his second infraction. The first time I deleted the file and suspended his account for a few days. He said he was sorry and wouldn't do it again. Thats why I knew it was him. Besides, if you allow anonymous FTP, you are still responsible for the content.

Secondly, the file was located in a folder called /files/moviez. He had password protected the file via www. He 'hid' the movie in two zip files called ap3pt*.zip ... hmmm ...

Originally posted by ATST
    I once uploaded a zip of a program for an associate to DL.
    He had a licensed copy, (I am sure because he is a close friend who bought his first, then told me about it and I bought a copy for myself after) but was out of town and found he needed it to use temporaily on his laptop. Of course emailing an 11 MB zip was out of the question.
    I hate to think of my account being terminated just for having it on my webspace at the time. (I probably left it up there for a week or better) I doubt my BW increased by much though, but I think a notice would be a good idea.
    I don't think that a 350mb file called mibiiipt1.mpg/ap3pt1.zip/etc couldn't be mistaken for a legitimate file.
    Last edited by Gem Hexen; 08-02-2002 at 03:07 PM.

That was for people who would delete an account just for possesing something that would apear to be illegal without notification if the rest of the site looked legit.

Oh well . . . here's what I tell my kids:
    third chance = no chance
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."