site asking me credit card copy

well yesterday i bought a cd pack from http://www.cheapbytes.com i have just received their mail that i need to mail them scanned copy of my credit card in order to do the transaction.

so please tell me is this a good idea? they can use this info, afterall cc frauds are so common.

btw never heared of them, actually my friend reffered them that they are quite cheap, so should I trust them? I do lots of shopping on the net but never asked any such thing.

They are a good company. And, I've never had a problem with them.

Think about this, scanning the front of your CC merely provides them with the same info, you'd fill out onto a form.

And, they do this for fraud protection. E.g. they know you actually possess the card, are it's not just a stolen number.

What if you don't own a scanner? That is ridiculous, although a good security precaution.

Originally posted by JTY
    They are a good company. And, I've never had a problem with them.

Think about this, scanning the front of your CC merely provides them with the same info, you'd fill out onto a form.

And, they do this for fraud protection. E.g. they know you actually possess the card, are it's not just a stolen number.
    they can confirm from my bank or contact me in person. well i think they don't receive our cc #(SSL) which they will find on scanned copy.

Originally posted by iamdave
    What if you don't own a scanner? That is ridiculous, although a good security precaution.
    well there is another option, i can fax the photocopy.

Re: site asking me credit card copy

Originally posted by 6dreamz6
    well yesterday i bought a cd pack from http://www.cheapbytes.com i have just received their mail that i need to mail them scanned copy of my credit card in order to do the transaction.

so please tell me is this a good idea? they can use this info, afterall cc frauds are so common.
    This is something that we too Require of our dedicated server customers.

You have already provided the CC number to us and a scanned or photocopy of the front & Back of the Card simply is PROOF that you actually have that credit card in your possession.

We do this for Fraud Protection. It's too protect YOU, the consumer.

Interesting to note, The orders we have "Lost" because a customer Refused to give us a copy of the CC were looking like Fradulent orders anyway. ie... Something else in our verification process wasn't matching up. I have found that if people make a fuss about this......They are doing so for a good reason.......like "They don't really have the card".

This is a Good Practice and more & more web companies are requiring it. Like you said, CC fraud is so common, But all that is needed for fraud is a string of numbers and a date, which most people don't think twice about giving out.

Originally posted by iamdave
    I do have a scanner, but some companies wouldn't accept a scanned copy through email. They want me to fax it.

For example, I lost 26$ just to send a signed nameserver change confirmation to nic.at, including one failed try.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

Better asking for a photo of the card.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Originally posted by ned patter
    Better asking for a photo of the card.
    A photo? Unless you had a digital camera or knew someone with one, that would involve obtaining a camera if you don't already have one, and buying a film, not to mention wasting a whole film just to have one photo of your card, paying to get the film processed and then getting it scanned or faxed.
    Brian McCluskey
    http://www.lightningservers.net
    Email: sales AT lightningservers DOT net

I but i would think more people had a webcam or digi cam than a scanner.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Possibly, but you can get access to a photocopier and a fax at a public library or post office, theres no other real feasable alternative if you don't have access to a webcam/digi-cam.
    Brian McCluskey
    http://www.lightningservers.net
    Email: sales AT lightningservers DOT net

Tera-Byte require this also, for dedicated clients. Or at least they did. We're comfortable enough with providing it, and they seem comfortable enough offering us a good service.

At the end of the day, it would usually be easy enough to retrieve any unauthorised transactions so you really should be fine with a reputable company.

Regards

Gary

so please tell me is this a good idea?
    Yes, until the chargeback problem is addressed by credit card companies wherein a customer can just pick up the phone and ask for a refund, this (asking for a faxed copy) is the only way merchants can protect themselves.

Yes, there is fraud. There is as much buyer fraud as there is seller fraud. It goes both ways. In fact, the merchant has to worry about the fraud more than the buyer because the buyer can always ask for a refund/chargeback, the merchant cannot do that.

It is not about the information they are interested in, but about the "proof of purchase".

they can confirm from my bank or contact me in person.
    There is no way to confirm currently other than having a signed copy from the customer (it is the buyer's word against the seller's word and buyer has a huge upper hand). If there was a way to do this, it would make it much easier for most small online businesses and buyers.

With all the advances we have made with regards to online commerce, this is really ridiculous and none of the credit card companies are addressing this and I don't think are interested. This is a problem for small online merchants and will continue to get worse unless there is a way to make sure a specific buyer made the purchase and the merchant does not have to worry about the "proof of purchase" but worry about just delivering the product and running the business.

Re: Re: site asking me credit card copy

Originally posted by raq4less

We do this for Fraud Protection. It's too protect YOU, the consumer.
    No it's not. It's to protect yourself. Why do we care if someone gives you a stolen card? It doesn't affect us at all (except if you go out of biz). It's to reduce your risk and costs NOT to protect us... all it gives us is an incredible pain in the ass.

Owen
    check out OP-Design today!

Re: Re: Re: site asking me credit card copy

Originally posted by Owen
    No it's not. It's to protect yourself. Why do we care if someone gives you a stolen card? It doesn't affect us at all (except if you go out of biz). It's to reduce your risk and costs NOT to protect us... all it gives us is an incredible pain in the ass.
    Owen
    Not always mate. Consider that it was your card number that hit a free list and someone was presenting it for payment. Now, if they can't provide the merchant with an actual photocopy...

Cheers

Gary