Beware of Burstnet Billing

I reported the last time about burstnet having my server down for over 24 hours. I know there are people on this board that do not have anything to do but to defend companies when some one complains about them. On my previous thread, I refused to say everything that BurstNet did to me. I was giving them a chance to correct themselves, but they refused.
    Before I explain I want to first say the tech support guys like Nate, Eric W, and the rest, they are just great guys. Their admin or the admin guy(Matt) is full of it.
    This is what happened:
    Last month, I received an invoice from Sandra from their billing department. The bill was for $872 It supposed to be $379 because I had a $100 credit to my account for a secure certificate I paid for they never installed.
    When I received this bill, I emailed Sandra and asked her why I have to pay $872. She said she does not know anything, and that I should talk to Matthew. She said she is just following instruction. When I looked at the invoice, there was a charge their for 281 GIG bandwith usage. I checked my server, I have never ever used up to 280 GIGs. I was able to speak with Matt, he told me to emailed him the invoice and he will correct it. Ladies and gentlemen, that was the last time I was able to talk to Matthew up till this day. Anytime I called, I will be told Matt is not in. They will asked for my number and say Matt will call me, but he will never call me. I emailed them and say, if they are sure about the bandwith, why can't they send me a proof, but they never responded.
    Here comes the interesting part folks. I had changed my payment option to sending them checks as oppose to using my credit card. The reason was, I started not to trust their billing so I rather pay by check. I sent them an email not to charge my card and I will send them a check which I did.
    I sent them a check mailed with Priority Mail 2nd day delivery. The total check was for $379. They received my check and deposited it, and they charged my credit card $872 at the same time. So they end up taking $1251 from my account. They did not even informed me about this. I thought being that they have charged my card, they will be so honest to send me back my check, but they did not.

After all this, I cancelled one of my server with them.
    Today, I received another bill from them for $499.
    I immediately emailed them and asked why? They then said: Well, you still have to pay $275, it is not $499 but $275.
    Could you believe how arrogant this look?
    I have already called my bank about this. They advised me to file a fraud complain because I did not authorized them to charge my card.
    I am just too glad I have no server with them anymore.
    Again, this is not to bad mouth any company, but to warn everyone to about billing fraud. On my first thread I started couple weeks ago, I refused to explained all these thinking that they will correct themselves. But at times you need to speak out for people to change certain behavior.

Thank for the info midnight, I was thinking to buy something from them, but now, I will look for another company.

And to think I was mad when they billed us for 100 to much....

Damn man, that just sucks...
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

What's up? this looks really bad!!
    Dedicated Servers cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    VPS Backups Cloud Colocation Managed Services
    Webx Networks Serving world wide since 1997

OK, I found this on another thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=2

Also, we are in the middle of integrating Playpus Billing, so our billing dept will be running much smoother soon!

Sean R.
    BurstNET

Threaten to issue a chargeback against them unless they resolve their billing f*?! up! You get your moneyback, burst gets hit with a chargeback fee and their bank will be non too pleased with them as well.

further more ..

i got a server from burst in Dec 2001 .. they charged me the regular fee every month tell April or May 2002

they send me Invoice of $1200+ (regulary was $400)

i sent them why .. after few messages they sent me a report by unknown extra bandwidth from Dec 2001 thru May 2002

i moved the accounts there to another server .. and informed my bank to block them so they cant charge me

I guess that Burstnet guys have to reopen the math books.

By the way, I'd like to ask if somebody knows if someone may request not just a chargeback but also the payment for damages...if for example the overcharge of a company makes you fail pay other bills (credit card limit reached because of the overcharge) or for example let you without money while you're on vacations far from home. (of course in case you can prove the damages)

Originally posted by MikeMc
    I guess that Burstnet guys have to reopen the math books.

By the way, I'd like to ask if somebody knows if someone may request not just a chargeback but also the payment for damages...if for example the overcharge of a company makes you fail pay other bills (credit card limit reached because of the overcharge) or for example let you without money while you're on vacations far from home. (of course in case you can prove the damages)
    This may have to have a lawsuit involved.

Which if that happened, out side of it being a innocent mistake, which this looks like it is not, I would file at least a small claims suit against them.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

I am currently talking to an attorney. I will be filing complain at the New Brunswick Municipal court.
    Hear this folks:
    After I posted this, I asked their billing department 3 days ago to send me an itemize invoice of last month biling. Guess what they told me. I was told that, that invoice does not exist anymore. They do not have any record of it. Could you believe that?
    Nocster is part of BurstNet problem. I remember reading a post on these forums a long time ago. One of the posters mentioned that, BurstNet creating another division (Nocster) is not a good sign. They will be expecting more signups for Nocters serves. If that did not occur, then they will have to find ways to make up for Nocster losses. That is exactly what is hapening now. They are just charging exhurbitantly for bandwith without even giving you proof.
    Again, I am just happy I am not part of their band-wagon.

I don't know if it had anything to do with NOCSTER and BurstNET creating that product...
    They most likely saw potential for a new market when rackshack type deals came out and decided to get on the bandwagon.

But I have some servers there so I will be sure to watch my bill more closely ;-)

Originally posted by midnight
    <snip>

That is exactly what is hapening now. They are just charging exhurbitantly for bandwith without even giving you proof.
    Again, I am just happy I am not part of their band-wagon.
    Ut Oh, do we see another PAGECREATORS.NET on the horizon?

Most of these cases mentioned in this thread are from clients not wanting to pay for the bandwidth usage of their machines. Bandwidth IS NOT free...if you use over your allocated/included limit, we WILL bill/charge you for it. The bandwidth usage of your server is your responsibility. Refusing to pay for bandwidth overusage, and cancelling your account, then issuing a chargeback will not be the end of the situation...as our company will send a collection agency after you, and do everything in our power to affect your credit report...even as far as having our collection agents file a lawsuit.

Some clients just think it is easier to cancel server, and stiff us with a large bill, after they rack up a large bandwidth bill. Shame on you...

Sean R.
    BurstNET

PS - We are human, and we may have made an error in the calculation of your bandwidth usage, but it doesn't happen often. If you feel you were billed incorrectly for bandwidth, contact me directly, as I handle that every month...[email protected]

Thanks Sean for clearing this up.

Originally posted by masood
    Thanks Sean for clearing this up.
    uh.. it doesn't look like he cleared up anything to me? Looks more like he's blaming the customer as usual... burst is never wrong!

Nobody is wrong

Originally posted by BurstNET
    Most of these cases mentioned in this thread are from clients not wanting to pay for the bandwidth usage of their machines. Bandwidth IS NOT free...if you use over your allocated/included limit, we WILL bill/charge you for it. The bandwidth usage of your server is your responsibility. Refusing to pay for bandwidth overusage, and cancelling your account, then issuing a chargeback will not be the end of the situation...as our company will send a collection agency after you, and do everything in our power to affect your credit report...even as far as having our collection agents file a lawsuit.

Some clients just think it is easier to cancel server, and stiff us with a large bill, after they rack up a large bandwidth bill. Shame on you...

Sean R.
    BurstNET

PS - We are human, and we may have made an error in the calculation of your bandwidth usage, but it doesn't happen often. If you feel you were billed incorrectly for bandwidth, contact me directly, as I handle that every month...[email protected]

sean, sending your customers invoice for bandwidth over usage after 4-5 months is not a good idea. enfect it is A BAD IDEA

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    further more ..

they send me Invoice of $1200+ (regulary was $400)

i sent them why .. after few messages they sent me a report by unknown extra bandwidth from Dec 2001 thru May 2002
    I was also charged in same way but the charges was few hundred dollars, so I let it go, I asked for explanation to matt and was only told my server used it! but no proof, no graph etc. have been provided till date, where in some months my WHM shows only 20% of bandwidth usage what appeared in the invoice.

Ok, I know this, WHM do not calculate accurate bandwidth usage, but there has to be some tool where we can monitor our bandwidth usage daily and can do something in this regards if our servers are pushing more gigs then what we expected.

You guys can have system like rackshack where there customers can see latest bandwidth usage through control panel.

I was not going to post this all but now i realize that, it is very necessary you should bill for bandwidth overusage monthly. This scares me that after 6 months burst may send me invoice for $10k stating my server pushed so much bandwidth.

As a corporate you will be having lawyers and collection agencies to collect what your books may show as debts on customer, but charging your customers something after long time saying you used it where customer have no control or way to justify charges, is not going to benefit burst.net in future.

- mahinder

p.s.: billing mistakes happen and are ok if they are resolved mutually in timely manner.
    Last edited by mahinder; 08-06-2002 at 04:14 AM.
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

I don't really get it...if Burstnet or Nocster fail to prove that you have really used all those GB of traffic...why do you accept to charge you. This makes me thing 1. that you too believe that your server really used all these GB or 2. you are so rich that you don't care about your money or you're stupid somehow and easy to let people get money from you.

So it would be better for both of you (Burstnet and clients) bring some data here to see all what is going on. Because this post is a terror for future Burstnet (Nocster) clients and for you guys that have accepted to pay, is some kind of certificate of mental problems. Sorry for this, but if somebody would dare to charge me (or every normal person I think!!!) thousands of $ without showing me any infos that prove that, would go to the court and made them pay me back and of course pay all the expences of the legal procedures. Because if they don't have anything to show to you that proves the usage...I wonder what they'll show in front of the judge.

Because from last time I had some touch with the real world people were trying to get some discount for cheap clothing or they were angry because they paid too much for the Taxi....and I think that the world still works this way. So don't come here and say that you have accepted to pay humdreds or thousands of dollars(without believing that you should) and you said or done nothing to avoid this. Anyway...when both (Burstnet and clients) place your thoughts and mental processes in order come back and clear the thing. Have a nice day.

MikeMc - no body is asking for your useless opinions. Ofcourse, you are free to post your ridiculous comments here because this is a free board, not knowing adverse effects of shifting providers on one's business.

Don't think I don't know how to shift servers but I better give people chance to rectify the system and improve it. I care for them as a provider because we depend on each other for business and I always prefer to work with my all providers to improve there business and making relationships stronger.

I am not bashing burst for doing something wrong but requesting them to correct something which will make there already wonderful service more better.

Who are you !! and why should I or burst show you what we do in our business or what we don't. and at present the situation is not that bad for me, so that I should post all information publicly.

I never said i didn't used what they bill me!, what I said they didn't provided me with any information and I feel that's bad and may effect me in future because I host some servers with them.

Do you think this had no effect of my business to them!!

Use your aggressive brain.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mahinder
    MikeMc - no body is asking for your useless opinions. Ofcourse, you are free to post your ridiculous comments here because this is a free board, not knowing adverse effects of shifting providers on one's business.

Don't think I don't know how to shift servers but I better give people chance to rectify the system and improve it. I care for them as a provider because we depend on each other for business and I always prefer to work with my all providers to improve there business and making relationships stronger.

I am not bashing burst for doing something wrong but requesting them to correct something which will make there already wonderful service more better.

Who are you !! and why should I or burst show you what we do in our business or what we don't. and at present the situation is not that bad for me, so that I should post all information publicly.

I never said i didn't used what they bill me!, what I said they didn't provided me with any information and I feel that's bad and may effect me in future because I host some servers with them.

Do you think this had no effect of my business to them!!

Use your aggressive brain.
    [/QUOTE

Well, if you don't want people to ask you about what is going on with a company don't come here and post what you have posted. And about who I am...I'm a person who visits everyday this forum...and maybe a future customer of Burstnet...so when you or anybody comes here and say this and that, it is logical that I will ask what is going on. And I didn't asked from you to provide me the secrets of your business lol , I have just asked somebody to clear this issue (Burtsnet and/or clients).

Now you say that you used all the GB but Burstnet didn't provide you the informations...and then how do you know...in case you know because you had noted down the usage of that month (according to WHM, or with whatever you count the data transfer) and you know that you have used all the GB , what is the point of your post....ah...yes...that they didn't provided you all the infos....then you have posted in the wrong manner...you could just say : they billed me for what I used but they didn't provide infos...this is different from what you have posted (unless a good edit corrected your post...don't know didn't check)

By the way who are you? I return back to you the words 'ridiculous' and 'useless'.

I don't have any intention arguing with you for issues that I don't care anymore....and yes I note the 'anymore' because all of you involved in this thread have failed to provide a reliable image.

As usual, I expect sean to be out here defending his company. Who wouldn't do that? I will not get onto war of words with him for legal reasons, and I have been advised by my attorney not to say much.
    Sean talking abouyt it is not easy to cancel server. Yes, it is not easy only if you do not know what you are doing. I did not have any sign contract with BurstNet, I can cancel my server anytime I believe it is to my best interest like in this situation where they overcharged me.
    Sean is talking about people not wanting to pay bandwith. This is most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. There is a saying that goes like this, can you pay for a cow just by hearing his voice? That means, if someone want to sell you a cow and he says I have a cow I am going to sell you for $100. Listen to the cow's voice but I am not going to show you the cow. As a rational being, are you going to pay for the cow just for the voice of the cow or you will request to see the physical cow itself? This is exactly the situation between Burst and I. Am I just going to pay for bandwith because BurstNet told me to or am I entitle to proof? I swear to God, I was willing to pay if only they can give me proof. Sean talking all these funny talks, I want him to ask his guys, how many times I called their office asking for clearification. I was the one calling their office. If I did not want to pay, I would not have been calling their office.
    Another thing I want to bring to you all. Let's just pause for a moment and think about this:
    BurstNet charged me $872 and also deposited my checks for $379 in one month. Let's think about this for a moment. They said I owed them $872 right? Well, why did they deposited my check for $379 after they already charged my card for the money they said I owed them? In other words, let's say I owed them $872, they already charged my card for that, why did they still deposited my checks for $379 again. So now tell me folks, who wants to steal who's money? I or BurstNet?
    Here is another one:
    The same day I started this thread, I received a bill from them for $499, and when I questioned them why, they changed it to $275.
    Now tell me ladies and gentlemen, who is trying to rip who?
    You know, let's the facts speak for themselves.
    Sean should not think everyone on this board is stupid. I will assure him that I will fight this case to the end of it. They always do this. It is about time someone put an end to this.
    As always, this is my last post on this issue. I am taking legal actions, so I rather refrain from talking. I want to thank all the good, wonderful, accomodating people on these forums for their inputs, be it negative or positive. It's all good.
    God bless. Peace!
    Jah Love.
    Last edited by midnight; 08-06-2002 at 10:50 AM.

-----------
    Originally posted by MikeMc

(according to WHM, or with whatever you count the data transfer) and you know that you have used all the GB
    --------------
    WHM do not provide accurate information about how much traffic has been used by server. What you can do if it shows 25 gb and provider bills you for 45 gb?????????????

But provider can provide static's about traffic usage through switch mrtg report or something like that which they didn't provided for over usage. Now how can I be sure about weather i used the traffic or not util I am not provided with graphs etc. or any such report which confirms it!! hence I said I might have used the traffic and they might be right.

I guess now you may understand what I want to say!!

2-3 days back matt told me that they are working on new client control panel which will provide this kind of information and i am waiting for that !

except this there service have been more then excellent.

Our bandwidth billing is done with a mix of Bandmin & MRTG.
    We don't pull the figures out of thin air.
    If you were billed for overage, then there was a reason for it....
    We don't make things up...
    It is possible we can make an error once in awhile on the calculatiopns, but as a general rule, we do not.
    MRTG graphs are available upon request.
    We are making them included in our control panel very soon as well...

Sean R.
    BurstNET

Originally posted by BurstNET
    Our bandwidth billing is done with a mix of Bandmin & MRTG.
    We don't pull the figures out of thin air.
    If you were billed for overage, then there was a reason for it....
    We don't make things up...
    It is possible we can make an error once in awhile on the calculatiopns, but as a general rule, we do not.
    MRTG graphs are available upon request.
    We are making them included in our control panel very soon as well...

Sean R.
    BurstNET
    Well it sounds like they have asked for them, give it to them.

You know, I was ready to get a server with you guys, but this scares the daylights out of me.

I mean, I would pay for bandwidth that I use, but like these guys, don't expect me to pay for it if you don't produce a report or graph, esp. if one is asked for.

On the other hand, I would have monitoring on the server itself.

Sean,

I think you should get the user control panel up ASAP.

so far my experience with nocster is excellent.
    current and satisfied customer of softlayer.com and webnx.com

Re: Beware of Burstnet Billing

Originally posted by midnight
    I reported the last time about burstnet having my server down for over 24 hours. I know there are people on this board that do not have anything to do but to defend companies when some one complains about them. On my previous thread, I refused to say everything that BurstNet did to me. I was giving them a chance to correct themselves, but they refused.
    Before I explain I want to first say the tech support guys like Nate, Eric W, and the rest, they are just great guys. Their admin or the admin guy(Matt) is full of it.
    This is what happened:
    Last month, I received an invoice from Sandra from their billing department. The bill was for $872 It supposed to be $379 because I had a $100 credit to my account for a secure certificate I paid for they never installed.
    When I received this bill, I emailed Sandra and asked her why I have to pay $872. She said she does not know anything, and that I should talk to Matthew. She said she is just following instruction. When I looked at the invoice, there was a charge their for 281 GIG bandwith usage. I checked my server, I have never ever used up to 280 GIGs. I was able to speak with Matt, he told me to emailed him the invoice and he will correct it. Ladies and gentlemen, that was the last time I was able to talk to Matthew up till this day. Anytime I called, I will be told Matt is not in. They will asked for my number and say Matt will call me, but he will never call me. I emailed them and say, if they are sure about the bandwith, why can't they send me a proof, but they never responded.
    Here comes the interesting part folks. I had changed my payment option to sending them checks as oppose to using my credit card. The reason was, I started not to trust their billing so I rather pay by check. I sent them an email not to charge my card and I will send them a check which I did.
    I sent them a check mailed with Priority Mail 2nd day delivery. The total check was for $379. They received my check and deposited it, and they charged my credit card $872 at the same time. So they end up taking $1251 from my account. They did not even informed me about this. I thought being that they have charged my card, they will be so honest to send me back my check, but they did not.

After all this, I cancelled one of my server with them.
    Today, I received another bill from them for $499.
    I immediately emailed them and asked why? They then said: Well, you still have to pay $275, it is not $499 but $275.
    Could you believe how arrogant this look?
    I have already called my bank about this. They advised me to file a fraud complain because I did not authorized them to charge my card.
    I am just too glad I have no server with them anymore.
    Again, this is not to bad mouth any company, but to warn everyone to about billing fraud. On my first thread I started couple weeks ago, I refused to explained all these thinking that they will correct themselves. But at times you need to speak out for people to change certain behavior.
    Now someone who was a past client of theirs, and now a good friend of mine had the same problem. He mentioned they still have a suprise their way with the lawyers, but I believe companies who make this their business practice are soon to be bankrupt, needs to pay postponed bills, money hungry, or ready to gather all the funds they can get and file bankruptcy. I believe this is ridiculous. I can feel what you're going through.
    Kevin L. - WiseOnline Solutions
    Under New Management
    AIM: WiseSupportKev