Feel like an idiot - what is "shell access" in WHM?

When creating new accounts, WebHost Manager (comes with CPanel) lets me choose whether or not to include SHELL ACCESS. Exactly what are they referring to? telnet? Can I change it after creating the account?
    Last edited by RandyL712; 08-02-2002 at 09:14 AM.

Re: Fell like an idiot - what is "shell access" in WHM?

Originally posted by RandyL712
    When creating new accounts, WebHost Manager (comes with CPanel) lets me choose whether or not to include SHELL ACCESS. Exactly what are they referring to? telnet? Can I change it after creating the account?
    It allows SSH access (type of telnet but secure login). A lot of hosts don't give shell access by default as it allows the user to login directly to the server and run commands and scripts.

Never used SSH myself, but I do know that most hosts only give it to "reliable" customers. Some hosts even ask for photo IDs before allowing SSH. And it can be disabled or enabled easily.

Hmm, I don't see in WebHost Manager where I can disable/enable after creating a new account.

After creating a package without shell access, I usually create an identical package allowing shell access. Then, I can do a simple "Upgrade/Downgrade" to grant shell access.

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

Ahh... I haven't been using packages, just setting the controls per each domain manually (only have about 30 domains right now)

WHM doesn't allow you to enable or disable SSH access on an account once it has been created. To enable or disable it you need to go in SSH (catch 22 huh) and enbale it for your customer or disable it for them. Very straight foward to do though.

Indeed it is easy to enable - disable shell access:-
    ssh in and...
    edit /etc/passwd

At the end of the username's options for the account add :-

/bin/bash

to enable

and

/bin/noshell

to disable

After creating a package without shell access, I usually create an identical package allowing shell access. Then, I can do a simple "Upgrade/Downgrade" to grant shell access.
    Is a good way to do if you have no resellers to worry about the packages on the machine ..

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz

Is a good way to do if you have no resellers to worry about the packages on the machine ..

All resellers on the machoine can see each other's packages (one annoying feature of WHM - and even putting their username at the beginning doesn't hide them), but you can prevent people from using other people's packages. It's all in the reseller center

Yes correct.... it's all in the reseller centre

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    Yes correct.... it's all in the reseller centre
    The secrets to the universe are in the reseller center.

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

I don't know from the GUI's how it works...but if you "ssh" or "telnet" (whatever you do...don't try to telnet ...it's a big security hole) with an account that has the ability to run root commands...then you can issue a simple command on the user on some systems as root... I do believe RedHat supports the command:

chsh -s shelltype username

so if user banana needs shell access you could do this:

chsh -s /bin/bash banana

or if he didn't

chsh -s /bin/false banana