Can I do anything for a high profile domain name lost by the registrar a while ago?

Things happened in early 2003, I didn't take much actions as I'm not in the US while the reseller and the registrar are. Earlier this year when the Registerfly crisis happened, I joined a class lawsuit against them, I also tried to contact a few other attorneys who seem to be interested in domain names, but got no luck. I wonder if anyone here has experiences on high profile domain name lost by the registrar?

The domain name I lost was not actively used, and that's why I didn't notice it's not renewed till months later. Hence the loss is pure the domain name but no existing website/customers/income.

It's a Chinese Pinyin domain name, the English equivalent was quoted for 1 million USD and sold privately, and the current owner, when I asked, quoted for about USD90,000.

I'm not in the US, and I don't want to pay much for the case. Instead, I prefer to get the domain name back or some compensation, with the registrar to pay all my fees. However, it seems not much attorneys like to do such business, especially when the domain name is not in English.

Anyone here has experience in such cases? Is it possible for me to have better compensation besides the class lawsuit? Or even recommendations on an attorney?

The story is, if any of you are interested:

In early 2003, I had a domain name renewed with the not so infamous then registerfly. I was billed, but later I found it not renewed actually. I contacted them immediately, telling them what'd happened and asking them to take actions, it's then in the redemption period and they asked me to wait for it to be dropped and re-register it. I told them to renew it for me, and I also contacted enom the registrar. Registerfly refused to do so, while enom asked me to deal it with the reseller. I even asked help from the registry but it was too late the domain name was then in pending delete, later dropped and grabbed by a speculator. Registerfly just refunded me the registration fee even the problem was escalated to someone in the corporation.

That's the simple story. Sorry I can't tell you the actual domain name here.

Thanks for reading

The sroty is habitual for me. And in this case you success depends on registar company.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by lostit View Post
    Things happened in early 2003 ...

It's a Chinese Pinyin domain name, the English equivalent was quoted for 1 million USD ...

... it's then in the redemption period and they asked me to wait for it to be dropped and re-register it.
    First, it's too long ago. This is 2007, actually only 68 days and we'll be in 2008.

Secondly, the Chinese Pinyin equivalent of a million dollar domain is not necessarily worth a hundredth, or even a thousandth of that. So I highly doubt if it is *that* high profile.

Last but not least, anyone who asks you to wait out the RGP (redemption) really hates you. You should have paid the US$100 - $200 recovery fee back then, unless the domain was not worth even that amount.

My suggestion is, unless you are willing to spend A LOT of attorney fees JUST to get back to them (as in revenge), move on, and take it as a lesson learned. Good luck.
    Last edited by Nameslave; 10-24-2007 at 07:50 AM.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I know it's a long while ago and I've started to move on a long time ago already. It just came into my mind again now and I'd like to see if any others here have had better solutions or experiences.

I did asked registerfly to renew it, they just told me they wouldn't charge me the recover fee. The one said something like "Enom would charge you $200 but we won't". Sounds cool, right? He actually meant he'd do nothing and I wait for it to be dropped.

About the price, it's not worth as much as the English equivalent indeed, however, IMHO, it'd be more than what you think. The price you suggested is very true a few years back, but it has raised a lot nowadays, not yet comparable to the English ones, but might be called a high profile to my standard. The actual price, if ever a deal, may depends though.

The domain name was not related to my core business and that's another reason why I didn't take any actions then. I don't want to spend much on it, nor do I want to buy it back, as the money will go to the speculator. But I'd be happy to if all are paid by the stupid registrar, as an revenge. It would be ideal for the registrar to pay for the domain name, and the attorney. Well, it seems attorneys are not interested in such cases, maybe the class suit is the best solution.
    Last edited by lostit; 10-24-2007 at 12:11 PM.

It's been over 4 years & I suspect that the agreement you signed with the registrar limits their liability to reg fee only. You could find an attorney if you paid him upfront but doubt you will find one willing work on spec and get paid from a possible court judgment.

You're dreaming. The current registrant is the legitimate owner of the domain. Move on.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by lostit View Post
    It would be ideal for the registrar to pay for the domain name, and the attorney.
    Indeed it would be. But as you know, we live in the real world where things aren't always ideal.

It might interest you to know one member here (I forgot who) said it took him/her 6 years to finally get the domain name they wanted. Are you willing to be that patient?

You don't own the domain anymore and the reseller doesn't have any responsibility. Paying for an attorney would be just a waste of money. Just learn from it and be careful next time.