Dedicated Advice Needed Please

Please can somebody with a little experience help me out here please.

I am looking for a cheap dedicated server to host some of my clients sites, I have had a few problems with downtime on my one of my reseller accounts and my clients have been very understanding regarding the issues.

I have promised to rectify the downtime issues and would like to offer a handfull of them some space on a dedicated, my problem is I really dont want to pay that much (as everyone doesn't I'm sure).

I have been looking at www.zerosetup.com but cant really say I'm confident that their cheap service is really worth it, can anyone recommend any other companies?

I would like a windows setup but knowing the cost difference I would consider Linux too.

Thanks for any advice you can offer me.

SP

It sounds like all you need is some reliable connectivity. I don't see why you must have dedicated hosting. You maybe better off simply looking for quality reseller host. This will save you the time and also the money.

Dedicated is more expensive than reseller for a reason. If you don't need it, don't pay for it.

Peter

I'd like to move away from reselling packages, unfortunately no matter how good the provider, the fact remains that they do overload/crowd servers, I feel I can avoid this risk if I try to move toward dedicated hosting.

So this isn't a simple client-move, but a step toward dedicated-based reselling? You didn't mention it.

What is your budget, and what kind of requirements do you have? (the kind of sites you host, storage, transfer, etc...)

Also, how much experience do you have administering servers (windows or linux)?

Peter

Hi,

I have redhat 7.2 installed at home for developing and IIS5 installed for .asp/.aspx development, I use WHM/CP for my Linux reseller accounts and HC2002 for my Win2k Accounts, as far as 'administering' remotely goes, hey that'd be new to me .

My budget would be around $100/mo but would like to spend less if poss .

Can you recommend anything? I'm really stuck and don't want to make a bad decision, I'd really like some first hand info is possible

Hope u can help, thanks,

SP

Hmm...When you work at home on your Linux and Windows (servers, I presume?), how much do you deal with network connection or service? (HTTP/FTP/Mail/etc)

Also, what kind of sites are you hosting?

Peter

http/mail/ftp etc all the time, these are the among the fundamental services associated with hosting/development??

My clients websites are MOTR (middle of the road), no game sites, or resourse intensive structures, mainly company/commerce.

Running the server doesn't bother me, I have a HND/NVQ Lvl5 (UK) in network administration (nt) I'm bothered by just making the wrong decison regarding my dedicated provider. I see many posts on WHT where ppl have had bad expereinces, I'd really like to avoid this any get some positive feedback from anyone who is happy with their provider and the cost associated.

Ok, enough for the questions. Here's some answers.

You should probably go with Linux, even though your strength is in Windows. Reason? One word: cost. You know enough of Linux (by using Cpanel) to operate a server, and a windows server merely adds to the costs. (unless you need to run asp pages, then you have to go with Windows). Having a Windows server over a Linux one adds at least $25 a month to your cost.

Next, post a request in the web hosting request forum and wait for offers. You probably won't be able to get a managed server for $100. But since you know enough about server/network, this shouldn't be a problem. When you get the offers, look at each providers and search for their names on the forum archive, that should give you enough info to make a safe decision.

In case you are anxious to start researching already, I recommend that you take a look at prioritycolocations and nocster to start with. Rackshack is also an option if you don't need any kind of support.

One more note: you may want to consider virtual dedicted servers. This is an option between shared and dedicated hosting, and may just be what you need, in your budget range.

Peter