Any downside to cheap SSL certificate?

We're looking to purchase two certificates, one for www.domain1.com and one that'll work for *.domain2.com. My new host offers the Geotrust for $120 (I think the *.doman.com is more expensive).

Any reason NOT to buy these cheaper certificates, versus the standard Thawte / Verisign certificates I've used in the past? Pros/Cons?

2. The GeoTrust ones work fine. They are just as compatible as Thawte. Just make sure you aren't getting the QuickSSL version they aren't as compatible as the normal ones. I think quick SSL only is compatible with about 90% of the browser market. However with QuickSSL you don't have to fax any documentation in. You get it in a few hours. With the regular GeoTrust you need to fax in your biz documents and wait a day or two.

We just got a GeoTrust QuickSSL cert and it works fine for most people. Note, that you can get the Quick SSL cert for $49 from RackShack
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

i got a geotrust cert with that true site id thing
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

If you take a look at a lot of fortune 500 companies -- they are running QuickSSL (internally & externally). My feeling is that it is growing faster than any SSL cert out there --- it is definitely the fastest growing product we have.....

Anyway, I am not here to advertise. I like the feedback -- we want to keep making our products better and I am pretty happy with QuickSSL right now.

Neal

Should the *.domain.com cert cost more? How much, from Geotrust?

Those are wildcard certs that secure multiple domains. We have them priced at $500. We have not changed that price in a couple years. The reason it is so high is that we have some folks securing hundreds of sites off the same wildcard.

What are you trying to do? Maybe I can suggest a better way to get to the same result.

Neal

Well, we wanted to sell space on a secure server: https://username.domain.com I guess we can charge a little less and go with https://www.domain.com/~username... for $500 I'll live with it

Can a wildcard cert be used on multiple servers or only one? For example: https://server1.server.com https://server2.server.com or do all the wildcards have to reside on the same box?

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

I don't think the cert cares - it just looks at the domain name.

Originally posted by RandyL712
    I don't think the cert cares - it just looks at the domain name.
    Yes, but I am not sure if this would work as the same cert would have to be on multiple servers, so I am not sure if it can be done

I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable, good question

Yes it can be done...... You just have to import the same key file over...

to each server....

Neal

Neal,

BTW - we're ordering our GeoTrust cert today

If you want to know more just call our support and ask for Tony V. --- "Mr. SSL"