Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question CPanel, Cogent, Nocster - What do you think?

So, I would like to know the following.

In your opinion (feel free to answer any or all questions):

1. Is CPanel better than Ensim?

2. Is Nocster a reliable choice as a dedicated server provider (reliability is defined by good uptime and responsive customer service).

3. Why do lots of people dislike Cogent so much, and why would it be such a bad thing to have a server that's bandwidth came from Cogent.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts

Re: CPanel, Cogent, Nocster - What do you think?

3. Why do lots of people dislike Cogent so much, and why would it be such a bad thing to have a server that's bandwidth came from Cogent.

Ask yourself why more 50% on WHT members are actually hosting on Cogent ;o) They ALL have Cogent but it's better to say "oh no not Cogent"...

Re: CPanel, Cogent, Nocster - What do you think?

That's a subjective question... but yes.

2. Is Nocster a reliable choice as a dedicated server provider (reliability is defined by good uptime and responsive customer service).

Very responsive customer service. Good uptime despite the occasional network flood.

I wont begin to try to answer this question. Try doing a search on these forums for "Cogent."
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Re: Re: CPanel, Cogent, Nocster - What do you think?

Originally posted by FDrive
    That's a subjective question... but yes.
    Hi FDrive,

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply. I appreciate your comments.

Can you tell me why you personally think CPanel is better?

I take it you have a server with Nocster - and that your familiar with CPanel. You seem to be happy with it - I am considering signing up in the next day or so. How long in your experience does it take them to get a server together for a new order?

From a personal standpoint, I like both. But end-users seem to love cPanel over Ensim.

2. Is Nocster a reliable choice as a dedicated server provider (reliability is defined by good uptime and responsive customer service). We've had something with them since they started. Couldn't be happier.

3. Why do lots of people dislike Cogent so much, and why would it be such a bad thing to have a server that's bandwidth came from Cogent. I have asked myself that question several times. Good luck getting a valid answer out of someone that says Cogent is no good.

To sum it up; go with Nocster. You won't be disappointed.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    To sum it up; go with Nocster. You won't be disappointed.
    × Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

From a personal standpoint, I like both. But end-users seem to love cPanel over Ensim.
    Hi SoftWareRevue,

Thanks, your comments are very helpful.

Are you using WHM/CPanel for resellers, and if so how have you found it? Are you able to set-up resellers pretty easily and also give them their own nameservers?

A valid answer? Here's one

Cogent is slow. Poor peering arrangements result in packet loss and network latency, and you are bounced around their network a lot. Saying that, Cogent are improving - they have acquired quite a few carriers recently.

I don't hate Cogent. I just think there are far better options available, that aren't that much more expensive than Cogent is.

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Hosts like using cPanel for their resellers. Yes; it is easy to do what you want.

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    Cogent is slow. Poor peering arrangements result in packet loss and network latency, and you are bounced around their network a lot. Saying that, Cogent are improving - they have acquired quite a few carriers recently.
    Thanks Matt. That is a the kind of thing I was looking to hear about.

For those of you currently hosting at say Nocster - have you had any complaints/comments from customers about this sort fo thing? Becuase that is the main point here really, are the customers happy with the connectivity they have to their web sites.

Only problem, traceroute to sites hosted on Cogent are 40 ms faster than trace route to your site. ;o)

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    A valid answer? Here's one

I don't hate Cogent. I just think there are far better options available, that aren't that much more expensive than Cogent is.

Matt

CPanel is the BEST Panel i ve seen so far. Tried 80% of control panel but nothing like Cpanel. Best part is end user scripts which comes with it and lot of plugins out there. Easy to use as well as its not that BUGGY as ensim is. No problem with upgrades just one click and u r don e

Originally posted by lanie

Thanks Matt. That is a the kind of thing I was looking to hear about.

For those of you currently hosting at say Nocster - have you had any complaints/comments from customers about this sort fo thing? Becuase that is the main point here really, are the customers happy with the connectivity they have to their web sites.
    We have not received one complaint from customers. Or even a, "Hey; why are our sites slow?" kinda thing.
    Nothing. Nota. Zip.

Are you using WHM/CPanel for resellers, and if so how have you found it? Are you able to set-up resellers pretty easily and also give them their own nameservers?
    That takes 1 minute. And if you are extra careful or newbie, it can take 5 minutes.

You can ask for demo in the request forum Hopefully someone will help you.

The things which I like the most about WHM/cPanel:

a) nightly updates and security fixes
    b) root whm to root whm account move across the servers
    c) cpanel skins where you can customize your services
    d) a good community of users willing to help you

Hosts like using cPanel for their resellers. Yes; it is easy to do what you want.
    Thanks

I have been using Ensim for a while, and even though the new 3.1 reseller control panel is great, I am sick of my provider. I am going to keep my Ensim server, but mainly for my own sites. I want to put my customers somewhere I feel confident is reliable. Plus I just bought PerlBill and it intergartes with CPanel, so that works out well too.

Well unless anyone has any negative experiences to report about Nocster, I think I will be getting a server there in the next few days.

I have a Nocster server and they get an A+ from me -- probably the best company I've delt with so far.

nocster needs to drastically cut the time needed to respond to support tickets. I'm averaging around 18-20 hours.. Not good when you are trying to set up a new server.

masood,

Can you explain point b) above?

Thanks!

Maybe I read too fast!

Originally posted by WebHozt
    Can you explain point b) above?
    WHM (WebHost Manager) has a feature of account move from one server to another. You can just click a few buttons and it will move the whole account (including database, files, passwords etc.) from remote server to your server. You must know the password of the remote server though

I just happen to have moved 50 websites like this from another provider to our server. It took a few hours, but it worked like a charm!

Why do lots of people dislike Cogent so much, and why would it be such a bad thing to have a server that's bandwidth came from Cogent.
    Just as Matt said, Cogent does have network issues mainly due to oversubscription, poor peering and poor routing. Some one asked "Why does 1/2 of the users here are WHT use Cogent". Because it's dirt cheap!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Originally posted by alain
    Only problem, traceroute to sites hosted on Cogent are 40 ms faster than trace route to your site. ;o)

Traceroutes aren't a great way to test speed because of geographical variables involved.

If you have a Cogent only server, and a multihomed server in the same location, and you trace to the same location, $5 says the multihomed server will have less latency and will be reached in fewer hops
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Is Nocster just on Cogent? I don't think so.

I just traced three sites and one goes thru Alter.Net, the other thru Sprint, and yet another thru Cogent (remote on Cogent).

Isn't it multihomed?

Or are they planning to ultimately move all the nocster servers on cogent alone?

[edit] 4th trace is going through AT&T [/edit]

Re: Re: Re: CPanel, Cogent, Nocster - What do you think?

Hi FDrive,

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply. I appreciate your comments.

Can you tell me why you personally think CPanel is better?

I take it you have a server with Nocster - and that your familiar with CPanel. You seem to be happy with it - I am considering signing up in the next day or so. How long in your experience does it take them to get a server together for a new order?
    Hi lanie;

Yes, I have a CPanel server with Burst. CPanel automates a lot more things from the sysadmin's point of view than Ensim, and it has many more features for your clients as well. (At least compared to my Ensim 3.0 box, never tried Ensim 3.1).

It took a while (4-6 days?) for my server to get set up because they were out of the size SCSI hard drive that I needed. I would imagine most orders would be quicker than that.
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Ok, I found this on their network page:

IMPORTANT: Please note that the NOCSTER service plans only utilize the Sprint™ & Cogent™ backbones on BurstNET's™ current network. A 3rd backbone provider is scheduled to be added by the end of 2002.

http://www.nocster.com/network.shtml

BGP routing can be done so it's X providers in and Y providers out, so while you would see Alter, Sprint or ATT going in, you wouldn't see the Cogent coming out, and thus get misleading results. This is the way Rackshack has it; if you look on the MRTG graphs there's barely any incoming traffic on the Cogent line, but lots of traffic is being pushed out it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast