Question What should I expect for dedicated hosting under $200?

I'm looking to move 4+ websites on a dedicated server. Using I discovered some dedicated servers for around $100. Attractive price, but it seemed like they were skimping on something, like RAM which I don't understand because RAM is so cheap. I guess I would like to keep the price under $200. A 1 gig cpu with about 1 gig of RAM should be enough right? At least 2gigs hard drive space and 30 gigs transfer. Should I make sure they are on a T3, not a T1? And what is OC3? Also will I notice speed hits on IDE drives vs SCSI, etc... Sorry I'm so vague, dedicated hosting is new to me. We will be running plenty of multimedia on our sites, audio and videos, but the traffic load isn't too heavy right now.
    Last edited by Muze; 08-01-2002 at 02:02 PM.

Well i would never buy anything from anyone offering "n gigs of bandwidth" If i am going to buy anything i want a set number. Such as a 1/mbs line or 2 or 3.

Troy, Missouri USA
    A T1 is a dedicated phone connection supporting data rates of 1.544Mbits per second. A T-1 line actually consists of 24 individual channels, each of which supports 64Kbits per second.

A T3 is a dedicated phone connection supporting data rates of about 43 Mbps. A T-3 line actually consists of 672 individual channels, each of which supports 64 Kbps.

OC Short for Optical Carrier, used to specify the speed of fiber optic networks conforming to the SONET standard

OC-1 = 51.85Mbps
    OC-3 = 155.52 Mbps
    OC-12 = 622.08 Mbps
    OC-24 = 1.244 Gbps
    OC-48 = 2.488 Gbps
    OC-192=9.952 Gbps

Look for terms like Multi-Homed, and BGP4

BGP4 is a protocol that allows two (or more) Internet connections to work together. It's two main advantages are that it offers a high level of redundancy, if one line should fail the other automatically takes over without the customer ever knowing there was a problem. The second advantage of BGP4 is that it improves the speed of connection to our servers for the end user, this is because BGP4 can calculate the best and fastest route to it's destination and take that specific route

Avoid any place that has only one data line.

get at least 1GB of ram
    If you do any kind of streaming or have a lot of visitor at one time you want SCSI.

I hope some of this helps.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    For cheap servers, RAM is the most expensive part,

We can put together nice p3-1.2ghz tualatin boxes for < $400, yet the 512MB of ram alone is $130 most expensive part, of course you can always go for dirt cheap no-name brand, but i've been burned too many times by that to buy it again