Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: is there anything more annoying than domain squatters?

Originally posted by rlynch
    there seem to be quite a few on this board. nothing pisses me off more than some loser trying to make money off someone elses work. what pisses me off even more is when they try to sell the domains for insane amounts (ie $50k). please, i beg u; get a real job.
    I think people are a bit errrr... annoyed at the topic because you mentioned that there are quite a few cybersquatters here on the forum. Even without mentioning names, people tend to guess.

The thing is that buying something for a certain price and then reselling it isn't anything new, and asking loads of money for something isn't either. It might be annoying to you, however if that's your only point and opinon, that's fine.

There was a domain that I wanted, I offered more than the highest bid on afternic (they posted it twice, both times getting bids under $500). They emailed back asking $150,000. I just ignored it. Their loss, I'll find other domains...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Hmm, I just saw this article "EC seeks public's views on cybersquatters." Here's the link:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2120092,00.html
    --- To Err is Human ... And Don't You Forget It---

What a load of BS. The basis of domain registrations is "first come first served". Why tag all domain registrations as squatting when done by the same person? I agree that if intellectual property is involved that's another story, but in essence all creative names are concepted upon registration. So if someone else comes up with the name they will have to pay to get it.

Originally posted by rlynch
    maybe cybersquatting wasnt the right word. help me out then.

wahts it called when someone buys a domain with no intent on using it and tries to sell it for $500k? i think its called being greedy , not sure though.
    I think it is called free ****ing market economy, after all it’s not like holding back some life saving drugs or invention from reaching market.
    Last edited by Chicken; 08-15-2002 at 08:42 PM.

I believe the title was "is there anything more annoying than domain squatters?" He made no assumptions about the legality of domain squatters. Nor did he make any assumptions about the free market economy (I really don't want to get into an argument about economics, but I have a phd in economics and grabbing a domain name and simply parking is not the best example of a free market economy, in fact it probably hinders it more than anything).

He was simply saying that if he wanted to devote a website for shoes and went to register the website name http://www.ilovenewshoes.com/ and found that someone has had it for 10 years with no interest in shoes whatsoever, then he would be annoyed. He's not saying its illegal, he's not saying that they are doing anything wrong, he's just pissed off. Wouldn't you be. God I can feel the heat from the flames as I speak. But hey, I'm bored today.

FYI, http://ilovenewshoes.com/ is not registered. So anyone wanting to make a website about new shoes might want to grab it before someone else does .

Rather than getting annoyed about it, I suggest, you should feel challenged, get creative and find another domain..i am sure there are lots of valuable domains avaliable, still...just spend some time, check for the avalibility and grab them..!

Infact, in the last couple of days, i have been searching for a couple of domains...in a particular industry...have tried more than 300 domain..but none are avaliable..I was surprised to see all of them were taken...But sure, i am going to find one relevant and nice one ( poll of ur tongue..as akash puts it ) very soon !

Domain reselling is a full time business. Its got a huge secondary market...there used to a time when cybersqatting was rampant...but now, i guess...with stricter rules and implementations...its minimised a lot...and timechange ...has clearly defined whats cybersquatting !

Another thing is that, when you search for the domain avaliability...youw ill bump into lot of interestings stuff...atleast that has happened with me !

Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12