Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is there anything more annoying than domain squatters?

there seem to be quite a few on this board. nothing pisses me off more than some loser trying to make money off someone elses work. what pisses me off even more is when they try to sell the domains for insane amounts (ie $50k). please, i beg u; get a real job.

Nope, they all suck
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

>is there anything more annoying than domain squatters?

Spam?

I can avoid domain name sellers pretty easily. Spam comes to me whether I want it or not.

Re: is there anything more annoying than domain squatters?

Originally posted by rlynch
    there seem to be quite a few on this board. nothing pisses me off more than some loser trying to make money off someone elses work. what pisses me off even more is when they try to sell the domains for insane amounts (ie $50k). please, i beg u; get a real job.
    Yeah I can think of something more annoying: Self-appointed, know-it-all forum vigilantes with no appreciation for free enterprizing individuals, posting BS at the forums. Also, seemingly uneducated people that have a hatred towards pressing the CAPS SHIFT at the beginning of a sentence or when letter "I" stands alone.

For your information, the term "cyber squatter" only applies to cases where individual "A" attempts to sell domain "X" to company/individual "B" when said company already owns related trademarks/rights to a variant of the name.

Just because I buy and sell domains does not make me a cybersquatter.

As they say in Australia: g'day mate.

Re: Re: is there anything more annoying than domain squatters?

Originally posted by timechange

Yeah I can think of something more annoying: Self-appointed, know-it-all forum vigilantes with no appreciation for free enterprizing individuals, posting BS at the forums. Also, seemingly uneducated people that have a hatred towards pressing the CAPS SHIFT at the beginning of a sentence or when letter "I" stands alone.

For your information, the term "cyber squatter" only applies to cases where individual "A" attempts to sell domain "X" to company/individual "B" when said company already owns related trademarks/rights to a variant of the name.

Just because I buy and sell domains does not make me a cybersquatter.

As they say in Australia: g'day mate.
    uhh....I'm on this guy's side....

What's the difference between buying a domain at a low price, and then selling it at a higher price?? It's called investing.

If you buy an old camaro (a car) for $1500, and then fix it up a little to make it look good (ie, advertise it) and then sell it for $15K, but NEVER drive it...would you call that car squatting??

timeexchange, why are u so offended? i never mentioned ur name once. and yes i agree with the idea of "buying low/selling high." of couse nothings wrong with that. but waht really gets me is when greed takes it course and these people ask for unjustified amounts. i guess it pisses me off so much because ive been affected by it first hand. u gota admit it is extremely frustrating. say for instance u wanted the domain utopiahosting.com, but some moron has it registered and has no intent on making it a valid website. he offers to sell for the small price of $100,000. now wouldnt you be annoyed?

First off, the name's timechange ®

Second, I haven't seen any domain squatters on this board, maybe you need to be more specific before you earn the wrath of anyone that does domain brokering, myself included.

Third and last, the basis for the entire domain registration process is this: first come, first served. If you came in second, you are already late. Someone else thought, invented or bought a domain you were late registering? Sorry mate, there can only be one (to quote "Highlander").

What they do with that domain is the owner's business. They can point it to a nameserver or not, point it to a collection of pages, redirect it to another domain, offer free email under that domain, or have it parked with a "for sale" sign.

Instead of feeling bitter about it, consider another TLD or name altogether.

yes i know. its their domain. they can do whatever they like with is, charge how ever much for it. this is all legal, thats why there is nothing legally i can do. however, i still belive charging $500k for a domain is unethical and greedy. of course the buyer is going to be annoyed.

earlier, akashd compared domain squatting to buying a car. that is not even close. to make the analogy accurate, u would have to price the car at say $150k

timeexchange, why are u so offended? i never mentioned ur name once. and yes i agree with the idea of "buying low/selling high." of couse nothings wrong with that. but waht really gets me is when greed takes it course and these people ask for unjustified amounts. i guess it pisses me off so much because ive been affected by it first hand. u gota admit it is extremely frustrating. say for instance u wanted the domain utopiahosting.com, but some moron has it registered and has no intent on making it a valid website. he offers to sell for the small price of $100,000. now wouldnt you be annoyed?
    If it was a domain that had good value for its name, and I wanted it, I would pay the price...unless of course I actually owned trademarks to the name. Like timechange has already explained, cybersquatting refers to people buying domains with a trademarked word or phrase in it and attempting to sell it to said company for any amount, not necessarily high amounts of $$$

yes i know. its their domain. they can do whatever they like with is, charge how ever much for it. this is all legal, thats why there is nothing legally i can do. however, i still belive charging $500k for a domain is unethical and greedy. of course the buyer is going to be annoyed.

earlier, akashd compared domain squatting to buying a car. that is not even close. to make the analogy accurate, u would have to price the car at say $150k
    Which domain did you want to register that you found it was already taken, contacted the owner only to be told you have to pay $500,000 for it?

And sex.com doesn't count

can't you read my signature??

hypothetically speaking...lets say someone registred yourname.com and wasn't using it...would you buy it from him if you wanted it??

put yourself in the sellers position, if there is a demand for something you own and no one else has, wouldn't you try to get the most $$$ out of it?

i honestly forget. it was a while ago, during the whole "domain name craze" if it was a domain like sex.com then i would see teh value. but it was some obscure made up word.

but it was some obscure made up word.
    try to find yahoo or xoom in the dictionary...are these not made up words?? if I owned these, and they weren't developed and someone wanted to buy them...i'd charge them a pretty penny for them

Actually, if they weren't developed, they wouldn' have brand recognition and therefore wouldn't be worth any more than other nice-sounding made-up names.

Originally posted by adland II
    Actually, if they weren't developed, they wouldn' have brand recognition and therefore wouldn't be worth any more than other nice-sounding made-up names.
    very good point

but anyone with good marketing skills would see that a 4 or 5, even 6 letter domain name that sounds catchy (ie, rolls right off your tongue) would be worth something....

Originally posted by akashd

put yourself in the sellers position, if there is a demand for something you own and no one else has, wouldn't you try to get the most $$$ out of it?

theres a difference between reasonable pricing and just plain greed.

maybe cybersquatting wasnt the right word. help me out then.

wahts it called when someone buys a domain with no intent on using it and tries to sell it for $500k? i think its called being greedy , not sure though.

wahts it called when someone buys a domain with no intent on using it and tries to sell it for $500k?
    depends on the domain but i'd call it investing

if the domain name does not infringe on any trademarks etc, than they are free to ask whatever they want for it. Why get annoyed about it, just look for another alternative, in todays market there are lots of people who are prepared to accept a reasonable amount for domain names that they are not using.

Buying a selling a domain name is a business just like any other business and it is not illegal (unless it is cybersqatting). You buy and sell real estate - someone buys a piece of land which is worth 50,000 and wants to sell it for 500k, then you as the buyer have a choice. Buy that land if you can and if you want to or buy some other land.

I know it sucks sometimes when we see a good one and someone is sitting on it. But hey, where have you been living so far - did you arrive in this world just now? Welcome to the jungle, if you got the money honey, you can have your domain (or something like that). Oh, what happened to axl rose, by the way? Is he still alive?

i never said that its illegal. thats why i say its annoying. becasue there is nothing i can do legally about it.

i dont know why poeple get so offended. do i not have the right to say its annoying?

rlynch, just curious what was the domain that was snatched away from your hands?

And did you contact the registrant; if yes, how much did they ask for?

So far your approach is whining about anybody taking any domain other than whoever was supposed to make specific use of it instead of selling it. I mean, come on.... like Gurudev said, it's like buying real estate property and instead of developing a mansion you just keep the field

like i said earlier, i honestly dont remeber. it was a while back, sometime around 1999-2000. i do however recall getting the email with his selling price of $50k. never have i been so shocked by one persons greed.

i agree taht there are domains out there taht are very much worht their selling price (ie business.com, sex.com) but, waht really gets to me is when poeple are greedy and extremely overprice. its just plain sad.

now if u want to get offended or upset at my comments, thats up to u. i dont know why u would though, cuase i never once refered to u.

and please, do not compare domains to real estate properties. they are only similiar on a very basic level.

now if u want to get offended or upset at my comments
    i am sure no one is upset or offended, i certainly am not, everybody is just expressing their viewpoints. Back in 1999, a lot of people were making one hell of a lot of money on the internet, those days are long gone and I doubt we'll ever see them return.

Originally posted by akashd

try to find yahoo or xoom in the dictionary...are these not made up words?? if I owned these, and they weren't developed and someone wanted to buy them...i'd charge them a pretty penny for them
    A...

Yahoo is in the dictionary. The word is almost 300 years old.

From m-w.com:

Main Entry: ya·hoo
    Pronunciation: 'yA-(")hü, 'yä-
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural yahoos
    Date: 1726
    1 capitalized : a member of a race of brutes in Swift's Gulliver's Travels who have the form and all the vices of humans
    2 : a boorish, crass, or stupid person
    - ya·hoo·ism /-"i-z&m/ noun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast