Static IP: Best service and how to use?

Hello,

My ISP here in the UK does not provide static ip addresses. I'd like to be able to set my server to only accept root access attempts from a set IP.

I am aware of how to set this up on my server, but not on my own machine.

I'd appreciate if anyone recommend the best service to use when seeking a static IP address and also point me in the right direction of documentation that explains how to utilise this IP (connect through it so when connecting to my server it sees the static IP and not my dynamic ISP IP).

I've had a search on WHT and Google but most of the documentation I've encountered is for people who want to run a web server from their home machine and so want a static IP for incoming connections.

Edit: I am using a windows machine (xp pro).

Many thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by Tom M; 10-18-2007 at 03:51 AM.
    It can only be attributable to human error.

Hi,

Can I just confirm, is your server and home (xp machine) in the same local location or is the server in a datacenter? Its not very clear what has dynamic IP's and which way you want to secure it.

For getting aroundd dynamic IP's use something like dyndns.org, its free and very good.

Thanks
    Stuart Munro

Thanks for the reply,

When I connect to the net I have a dynamic IP, I'm looking to have a static IP address instead of a Dynamic IP address. The Datacentre is not anywhere near me no, its a leased server.

So when I want to SSH to the server, it will only accept connections from the one static IP.

Thank you for the DynDNS recommendation, could you tell me the package I should be going for? They offer several and I'm a little confused as to which will do what I require.

Tom
    It can only be attributable to human error.

May be you can buy static ip at your ISP in UK and use it.