2+ Year Review of PlatinumServerManagement (PSM)

Source: www.platinumservermanagement.com

We've been a customer of PSM for almost 2.5 years. They have been providing support for a single test server we had at The Planet.

Pro's: They are cheap... you get whatever you want for $29 a month. Staff was always friendly and helpful and was able to resolve most issues I presented them. They were quick to respond when the server went down and always worked closely with The Planet to get the server back online.

Con's: They care cheap... I found a few times where the attitude was, "Well, this is what you get for $29 a month". I had a ticket or two that met their SLA's but in my opinion, they could have done a much better job on resolving them.

Overall, I was very happy with PSM. If you have an ummanaged dedicated server and are new to the game, PSM is likely the right choice for you. They will secure your box and respond to all of your questions.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I've been using platinumservermanagement for a year now and I love their service. I've come across many difficult problems with my server that I just coudn't figure out but they were there for me and took care of it for me. The response I usually get to my tickets are usually less then an hour.

I've used another server management company in the past and I was very unhappy which is why I chose platinumservermanagement. They do everything they say they do and more...

Keep up the work guys!!

Cool review sirus! Thanks for taking the time to post because many people dont, only when they are upset. I have been using PSM for awhile now too and they are just great. I love them

Thanks for the reviews and compliments!
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 21 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

I think the only con is that they only support servers that are CPanel based.

sirius,

Just wondering... Do you think you've helped PSM by this review?

Quote Originally Posted by Costaud View Post
    Why would I be interested in that? I post to provide my 2+ year review on the services they provided... not to help nor hurt them.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Costaud View Post
    sirius,

How about: Did he help WHT members by this review? Why would it be a pre-requisite to post that the vendor benefits?

That would make this site quite useless.

- Tim
    Slick Shop Development
    development .|. hosting

We always prefer managed servers so we don't have hold multiple companies to manage our servers

I require support once in a blue moon, but when i need it, i expect a high standard. Suffice is to say i'm not happy at all with the quality of PSM support. They bungled my resolver configuration which busted my site's mirror system for a day while i was away, costing me several hundred dollars in bandwidth overage.

The 6 hour response time and 24 hour ticket resolution time is really not acceptable when you rely on third party server management solely for emergencies and admittedly this is something i overlooked. I'm probably going to leave them and get competent support on-demand at an hourly rate when i need it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidguy View Post
    I require support once in a blue moon, but when i need it, i expect a high standard. Suffice is to say i'm not happy at all with the quality of PSM support. They bungled my resolver configuration which busted my site's mirror system for a day while i was away, costing me several hundred dollars in bandwidth overage.

The 6 hour response time and 24 hour ticket resolution time is really not acceptable when you rely on third party server management solely for emergencies and admittedly this is something i overlooked. I'm probably going to leave them and get competent support on-demand at an hourly rate when i need it.
    As we stated in the ticket, we did not mess up your resolver configuration. If you would've contacted us first prior to your post and gave us a chance to discuss, we would've explained why the main ip was listed, and that is because you were setup using an internal resolver. It is perfectly fine to have the main ip for both the primary and secondary resolver ip. Unless you want to use your a remote resolver such as your datacenter, your configuration was setup perfectly fine. According to the ticket prior to this one, the resolver was setup and tested and working perfectly fine.

Also, our 6 hour response time and 24 hour resolution time is the "maximum" time it can take, but it is much less on average. Our average is less than 1 hour for a response and less than 3 hours for a resolution.

I checked your tickets over the past 4 months that you have been with us and the response/resolution time was less than "3 Hours" on average for all responses and resolutions overall. Some of your tickets were even answered in as little as 15 minutes!

Anyway, if you have a problem with something we did, then you should open a ticket to the feedback department to discuss it with us first and give us a chance to explain. That would've avoided this entire situation because we did nothing wrong, this is simply a misunderstanding, and now you are giving us bad feedback for no reason. I don't know what you feel you have gained by your post, but it was unnecessary and completely avoidable if you would've simply contacted us first. Any business would expect the same from their customers too. I'm sorry to hear you are dissatisfied and I hope you can find another provider that meets your expectations.
    Last edited by ServerManagement; 10-31-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 21 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

You closed my ticket without responding when i tried to reconcile the situation. Setting primary IP as resolvers caused a multitude of errors across my server and all server issues were immediately remedied when i reestablished the correct resolvers and restarted httpd. I'm not sure why you would choose primary IP resolvers on a cpanel server running bind. WHM very clearly states the importance of correct resolvers in the resolver setup and to postpone any change to the configuration until you have the correct resolvers from your webhost.

I'm not looking to damage your business. I consider a healthy discourse of positive and negative feedback beneficial to your business in the long term. My suggestion for the future would be to communicate your intentions in tickets, prompt the user on important configuration changes and be more forthcoming when mistakes occur, regardless of who is at fault.
    Last edited by sidguy; 10-31-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidguy
    I'm not looking to damage your business. I consider a healthy discourse of positive and negative feedback beneficial to your business in the long term. My suggestion for the future would be to communicate your intentions in tickets, prompt the user on important configuration changes and be more forthcoming when mistakes occur, regardless of who is at fault.
    You seem like a smart guy but you still failed. Why didn't you just contact PSM in the first place and say "Hey, man I got a problem with you guys" then explain your issue and I am sure they will see to it help you out. What is the whole point in making a post complaining about their service if you are not even willing to sit down and tell them. PSM isn't a mind reader, speak up and tell them if you are having an issue

Just to clarify,

Quote Originally Posted by Frimon86 View Post
    PSM isn't a mind reader, speak up and tell them if you are having an issue
    You closed my ticket without responding when i tried to reconcile the situation.

You closed my ticket without responding when i tried to reconcile the situation.
    Absolutely none of your tickets were closed without a response. Even when you replied saying it's been fixed and you said to disregard the ticket, we still replied explaining the situation. You then re-opened the ticket again with your last comment at the same time you posted here with the same thing, so since you felt like this was a matter of public discussion, I have responded accordingly to your post here instead.

Setting primary IP as resolvers caused a multitude of errors across my server and all server issues were immediately remedied when i reestablished the correct resolvers and restarted httpd. I'm not sure why you would choose primary IP resolvers on a cpanel server running bind. WHM very clearly states the importance of correct resolvers in the resolver setup and to postpone any change to the configuration until you have the correct resolvers from your webhost.
    It is perfectly fine to use local ips as your resolver, and it is also perfectly fine to use remote resolvers too, there is nothing wrong with either way. If you had a specific preference, that's fine but then you have to tell us, otherwise we have no way of guessing or even knowing what your datacenter's resolvers are. Keep in mind, we support servers in datacenters all around the world, and many datacenters don't even have remote resolvers so the servers have no choice but to use local resolvers. In fact, most servers come with local resolvers setup by default anyway.

I'm not looking to damage your business. I consider a healthy discourse of positive and negative feedback is beneficial to your business in the long term.
    I agree that feedback is a healthy discuss regardless of whether it is positive or negative and that's why we encourage our customers to contact us any time they have any concerns. But that also means to post both positive and negative, not just only when you have a complaint, and the majority of posts for any company in the world on forums are always negative, as people rarely take the time to post when they are happy. Additionally, when someone makes a public post without even discussing it with us first, and makes derogatory comments like saying you are moving to a competent provider insinuating you feel we are incompetent, is where you cross the line from being a healthy discourse to a damaging discourse. If you are looking to be helpful, then contacting us directly would been more beneficial. We could've discussed your ideas and worked together to make this better, instead of arguing in public about how you feel your setup should have been done versus the way we do it by default. There's never been any other complaint about how we setup servers and we've setup literally thousands of servers over the past few years, so I am confident that we are completely knowledgeable and competent in setting up servers.

My suggestion for the future would be to communicate your intentions in tickets, prompt the user on important configuration changes and be more forthcoming when mistakes occur, regardless of who is at fault.
    Upon account activation, our welcome email asks you to notify us of any customizations or special requests. Since you never made any specific requests about your resolvers, we have set it up with our standard configuration, and it was definitely and undoubtedly working when we set it up as per the previous ticket.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied, and I appreciate your feedback. I feel it would've been best for the both of us if you would've contacted our feedback department first. If you still felt you needed to post your situation publicly, that's your decision, but at least give us the professional courtesy of discussing it with our feedback department first.
    Last edited by ServerManagement; 10-31-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Just to clarify,
    Again, absolutely none of your tickets were closed without a response. Even when you replied saying it's been fixed and you said to disregard the ticket, we still replied explaining the situation.

You then re-opened the ticket again with your last comment at the same time you posted here with the same thing, so since you felt like this was a matter of public discussion, I have responded accordingly to your post here instead.

There's no purpose at all in discussing the "same" issue in 2 different places at the "same" exact time.

The key here is to discuss it directly with us first, not at the same time, and not after. Then once that's done make your decision if you still want to post it publicly.
    Last edited by ServerManagement; 10-31-2007 at 11:26 AM.

I've been with platinumservermanagement now it's been close to a year and If I have any specific modifications that cannot be changed under any circumstances I open a ticket for the feedback department and they note it and that's done. Did you do such a thing? It appears like you did not do that so how do you expect platinumservermanagement to know or guess? Mind reading I guess that would come in handy if possible. But since that's not possible you should of told them.

I think your wrong for coming on WHT and not telling them first and try to discuss the situation with them first. I'm sure platinum would of fixed whatever the misunderstanding or problem you said happen, but no instead you decide to come on WHT and post this here. I believe that to be very childish and not professional. Any company would see that as an insult and I take as an insult too, as one of their customers because they have been nothing but good to myself and my company. For any issues we've had, they have always been there for me and they have a customer here for life.

I understand your point of view and retract my inference to your incompetence. I also concede that my public remarks were premature. Next time, if there is a next time, i'll use your complaints department.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerManagement
    Absolutely none of your tickets were closed without a response. Even when you replied saying it's been fixed and you said to disregard the ticket, we still replied explaining the situation. You then re-opened the ticket again with your last comment at the same time you posted here with the same thing, so since you felt like this was a matter of public discussion, I have responded accordingly to your post here instead.
    sidguy, how did you think one of your tickets were closed? Maybe you didn't refresh your browser or something because I have been with PSM for an very long time and not once have they closed a ticket without explaining about the issue.

I'm not looking to damage your business. I consider a healthy discourse of positive and negative feedback is beneficial to your business in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerManagement
    I agree that feedback is a healthy discuss regardless of whether it is positive or negative and that's why we encourage our customers to contact us any time they have any concerns. But that also means to post both positive and negative, not just only when you have a complaint, and the majority of posts for any company in the world on forums are always negative, as people rarely take the time to post when they are happy. Additionally, when someone makes a public post without even discussing it with us first, and makes derogatory comments like saying you are moving to a competent provider insinuating you feel we are incompetent, is where you cross the line from being a healthy discourse to a damaging discourse. If you are looking to be helpful, then contacting us directly would been more beneficial. We could've discussed your ideas and worked together to make this better, instead of arguing in public about how you feel your setup should have been done versus the way we do it by default. There's never been any other complaint about how we setup servers and we've setup literally thousands of servers over the past few years, so I am confident that we are completely knowledgeable and competent in setting up servers.
    I agree with PSM, and its a common factor. Every time someone isn't happy with something they make a complaint, they never or rarely post an actual review saying "Hey I am happy with this service" - but when one little issue comes along and you're not happy with it, you are quick on them hands to open a thread or reply to a positive comment and say "man these guys are making me upset" when instead you couldn't even take a moment of your life to post a positive review about the company when you were initially happy with them in the first place, its just this little issue and you get angry and make a post.

Quote Originally Posted by jshtoch
    I've been with platinumservermanagement now it's been close to a year and If I have any specific modifications that cannot be changed under any circumstances I open a ticket for the feedback department and they note it and that's done. Did you do such a thing? It appears like you did not do that so how do you expect platinumservermanagement to know or guess? Mind reading I guess that would come in handy if possible. But since that's not possible you should of told them.

I think your wrong for coming on WHT and not telling them first and try to discuss the situation with them first. I'm sure platinum would of fixed whatever the misunderstanding or problem you said happen, but no instead you decide to come on WHT and post this here. I believe that to be very childish and not professional. Any company would see that as an insult and I take as an insult too, as one of their customers because they have been nothing but good to myself and my company. For any issues we've had, they have always been there for me and they have a customer here for life.
    I completely agree.

I understand your point of view and retract my inference to your incompetence. I also concede that my public remarks were premature. Next time, if there is a next time, i'll use your complaints department.
    I hope you do understand and someone who sounds as bright as you seem, especially as a business owner should know. If you've got a problem with a company, try to talk with them first and sort things out rather than blabling out and saying "hey they didn't do this right, ive been with them for a long time but until this point Im unhappy so Im going to make a public post about it" yet within all that time you've been with them you havnt made one positive comment when you were happy. I mean would you like it if someone has been with you for awhile and then all of the sudden they post a comment like "man they said 30 minuet response guaranteed, its now been 40 minuets without a response" instead they could have responded to the ticket or opened another one saying something like "ticket id soso hasn't been responded to and its now 45 minuets, you guys guarantee a 30 minuet response ..... blahblah" explaining your issue is proven to be more effective than just taking the route you took. Their should be a next time, no reason to cancel because of one little problem you're having when you are not willing to sit down and talk with the company and say "hey, i got a problem with you guys" rather than going out in public and making a post. Maybe this just proves how incompetent you are? Go outside.
    Last edited by Frimon86; 10-31-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for your reply and understanding