Talking Google bot finally visits my site

Google bot after two months finally visited my site today!! How long does it take for the new pages to show on the search engines.....also i have exchanged links with lot off sites lately...still it shows only four site are linked to mine y is that???

Yeah the deep crawl has been going on for the past couple of days, following the update last week. The next update will be at the end of August (based on past practices), so that's when you should expect your new pages to appear.

Same for the new links: those are presumably also being crawled right now, and will appear with the August update.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

thanx man!

A month or so ago I noticed about 20-30 guests viewing my forums at an odd time of day, I resolved their ip's to hostnames and found that they were all google bots. They index my entire site, and all of the posts on my forum. Crazy. I don't mind though, it brings lots of hits .

I submitted to all major search engines in late March & noticed the bots a few weeks later. I finally started getting referals from Google 2 days ago, but the googlebot only visited for the 1st time today. I understand that submissions to dmoz.org help with getting noticed by Google.

Yes post to dmoz as this is faster and it will appear not only on google but also yahoo, and others who use the listing.

Yep crawled mine like 4 days ago, i just wish i remembered it looks at the text .
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Something I do on ALL my sites and my customers is create a summary page.

This page has all the keywords and a great description.

I have no links to this page but I do have a sitemap setup that links to every other page in the website. Its great for the search engines.

Originally posted by Tux-e-do
    have no links to this page but I do have a sitemap setup that links to every other page in the website. Its great for the search engines.
    No links to the page at all? It's not likely to help much on any search engine, and certainly not at Google. They explicitly state that a page must be linked to in order to be listed, and even if for some reason such a page were in their index, its PageRank -- a key component of Google's ranking algorithm, and a measure of nothing but incoming links -- would be zero.

The site map's a good idea, though.

[edit: fixed a typo]
    Last edited by JayC; 08-01-2002 at 11:12 PM.

I think he meant it is a gateway page. He submits that page to search engines, so it grabs the text and keywords from that page...

Originally posted by iamdave
    I think he meant it is a gateway page. He submits that page to search engines, so it grabs the text and keywords from that page...
    Sure, but the use of orphaned pages as gateways or doorways, while it worked a few years ago, isn't effective today. With the exception of Inktomi -- which specifies limits as to how many doorway pages can be submitted (and of course charges separately for each one) -- the search engines will at least tell you not to do it; and some, like Google, have designed their algorithms in such a way as to make such pages ineffectual.

Originally posted by JayC
    Sure, but the use of orphaned pages as gateways or doorways, while it worked a few years ago, isn't effective today. With the exception of Inktomi -- which specifies limits as to how many doorway pages can be submitted (and of course charges separately for each one) -- the search engines will at least tell you not to do it; and some, like Google, have designed their algorithms in such a way as to make such pages ineffectual.
    I know that they are basically useless now, I just thought you didn't understand what he meant.