Thumbs down Espresso Tax *tsk*

It's a little wordy:
    http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~public/init77.htm

so he's the gist of it:

WHEREAS, the People in their legislative capacity find that espresso beverages, as distinguished from other forms of coffee, are luxury items; and that in raising revenue it is appropriate to tax the privilege of engaging in the sale of a luxury item in order to allocate tax responsibility among persons who prefer a luxury item and can thus better afford to pay the tax; and

WHEREAS, an urgent need exists to provide early learning and care for children to be financed with the proceeds of a tax on the privilege of engaging in the sale of espresso beverages within the City;
    taxing espresso! I did see a rather funny quote on another forum regarding it though:

Eventually, they'll bring back the tea tax, and we can all go down to the waterfront and throw Starbucks employees into the Sound
    Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Noooooooooooooooo!

Why don't they levy a tax on beer at our fancy new stadiums or something? Good grief.

I could see that Espress tax, *if* the day care and preschool services were made Free.

Originally posted by JTY
    I could see that Espress tax, *if* the day care and preschool services were made Free.
    heh, yes. I've done a bit of pricing of daycare in washington. Made me think I was in the wrong job.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Yeah, tell me about it. I've got a friend that works in it. She makes good money.