A strange trend I've noticed on the board...

Has anyone noticed lately that there seem to be a lot of newbies coming on and with their initial post talking about how great such and such a host is, and how their site is hosted by them?

It almost seems like hosts are creatively spamming the board with "incredible testimonials" (which also are incredibly vague, generally speaking), although when domain searches are done, the domain of the host site and the client site do differ in contact info (but I guess that could be easy enough to pull off as well.)
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

It ain't nothin' new.
    Colin

Just a busier place. Been going on all along. Although the moderators work really hard to keep those things down.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I only see people's fantastic cyberwing story posts on WHT.

lol

not sure maybe a customer signs up and then they later find out about this place and then post? not sure but either way praises are better then bashing (unless needed/necessary) IMHO

I'm not sure it is a trend. I ban hosts nearly daily for doing this. What is fustrating is that we have ad forums, four of them. Free. Post ads there, every 5 days. Free. Or pay for one, even a sticky.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I noticed that yesterday I got on at about 3-4pm and handled reports, and it was about 8pm before I could even just look through posts for enjoyment. May I got in a few threads, but soon found more garbage and that lead to research time, etc.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Anyhow... mod rant
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I have noticed more reviews posted, but that could just be due to the growth of WHT.

Originally posted by Chicken

Anyhow... mod rant
    Someone needs a vacation.

Apparently some hosts BEG to get good comments on WHT. That's sick stuff :X
    Kevin L. - WiseOnline Solutions
    Under New Management
    AIM: WiseSupportKev

Originally posted by mindboggle

Someone needs a vacation.
    I'm taking one in August
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken

I'm taking one in August
    Contact me via pm so that you can tell me what I need to do daily to moderate these boards

Originally posted by phpcoder

Contact me via pm so that you can tell me what I need to do daily to moderate these boards
    go ahead and contact me too

I'd assume headsurfer would take on some moderator responsibility while Chicken's away?

-Matt
    Matt Meier, RackNine Inc.
    email: mmeier@racknine.com
    web: http://www.racknine.com

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking a customer for a testomonial, but I don't think WHT is the place for it. It only makes the host look rediculous when a user with 1 post starts a thread about how good the host is. Doesn't really matter if it is the host making the post, or the customer if you ask me. It still looks rediculous.
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch
    Custom Imprinted Promotional Products
    www.promopunch.com 1-800-750-8530 x221

I mentioned this a few months ago actually so it's not too new. There was a bit of a growth spurt around the same time as a marketing group was advertising around the place promoting 'viral marketing' - ie: having their employees pose as customers and flooding forums with 'great news' and testimonials after the business in question sent them a bit of money.

The bit that ticked me was it then makes the forum in question less of a valuable, unbias resource.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Well, the more popular it gets...
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

A lot of people ask for recomendations without specifying any one host in particular. If a satisified customer replies to that, what do you do? I'm pretty new here, but I guess that someone comes on, and has been with a host for about a year or so, and then goes around recomending it.

Of course... if they START a thread...
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard