* Just starting help needed

OK, I purchased my own domain name from a registrar along with 2 years of service from a separate web host. My initial reason for doing this is to have a place with dependability to park an ancestry website as I'm developing content for the actual domain site. It dawned on me that by the time I get my business ideas going, the website will have been identified with genealogy too long. In other words, I'm concerned about a poor business impression.

As it stands, the ancestry site is on a sub-domain matching the upload file. I really need to get the advertising gunk off of the primary domain page. Would a breezy two-liner about "website in process," on the primary page suffice? Or do I need to go into more detail about what I plan to offer, link to an existing site on another host (academic) and offer "start-up" low cost services while this is being developed.

Many thanks to whoever wants to deal with these questions!

It's best to have the site showing something of yours than the ads the registrar provides as a parked page. Use a lot of text as opposed to a "coming soon" statement, including important keywords that you eventually want to be found for. I'd even go so far as setting up several pages, interlinked, with information on the topic of the eventual business. This will get you in the searches and speed up being "found" once the site changes and goes live.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

You could also put up a small directory of good quality links to relevant topics on external sites (in addition to the text-rich overview that bear mentioned). People like getting links and in time some of these folks may be willing to reciprocate.
    -Bette
    Forayweb - Online Solutions for Your Business
    Expert Hosting and Pay-As-You-Go Web Services