hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Setting up a VPN?
Reply

Forum Jump

Setting up a VPN?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Caleb20103 Caleb20103 is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 328

Setting up a VPN?


Hi, I am looking to possibly setup a VPN on my VPS. I have tried to do this in the past, but there are always errors connecting and basically it doesn't work. I have tried on a dedicated and on a VPS with tun/tap enabled for VPN use. Can anyone link me to a full-fledged easy VPN setup guide? I've looked everywhere and can't seem to get it to work.


Thanks,
Caleb



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Slothie Slothie is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 44
While its possible, its not really recommended. VPN's are resource hungry where VPS's are resource starved.

  #3  
Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Slothie Slothie is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 44
Not very well, I run a VPN business as well and the throughput was disgusting for most VPS's I was on. Its generally easier to go along with a dedicated server.

IT may be because most of my VPN clients run p2p software

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Caleb20103 Caleb20103 is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 328
Ok, so say I do have a dedicated to set one up on. How easy is it really? Can you show me a guide?

My goal is to set one up so that my friends and I can connect to it and of course act like we are on a virtual LAN. Also, I think this is standard, but encrypted access or whatever i good. A plus would be that each person connecting gets a public IP assigned to them (assuming there is one available).


Thanks,
Caleb

  #5  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Riskable Riskable is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb20103 View Post
Ok, so say I do have a dedicated to set one up on. How easy is it really? Can you show me a guide?

My goal is to set one up so that my friends and I can connect to it and of course act like we are on a virtual LAN. Also, I think this is standard, but encrypted access or whatever i good. A plus would be that each person connecting gets a public IP assigned to them (assuming there is one available).


Thanks,
Caleb
Here's what I'd recommend: Get a cheap dedicated server with Ubuntu from some place like serverpronto.com. Install Webmin and then download/install the OpenVPN module (it is 3rd party but you can find it at webmin.com). It makes setting up an OpenVPN server a breeze. If you don't like OpenVPN you can also manage IPSec and PPTP VPNs through webmin as well.

__________________
-Riskable
"Those who choose proprietary software will pay for their decision."

  #6  
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
levat2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
i wanna setup VPN too, but i have no idea how

<---- noob

  #7  
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Caleb20103 Caleb20103 is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskable View Post
Here's what I'd recommend: Get a cheap dedicated server with Ubuntu from some place like serverpronto.com. Install Webmin and then download/install the OpenVPN module (it is 3rd party but you can find it at webmin.com). It makes setting up an OpenVPN server a breeze. If you don't like OpenVPN you can also manage IPSec and PPTP VPNs through webmin as well.

Ok, well I would like to try that on a VPS before I look into installing it on a dedicated. Would it really be a huge deal if I installed it and did a trial run on a VPS? There really are only going to be like 3 people using the VPN anyway so I don't know why a VPS couldn't handle it.


-Caleb

  #8  
Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Riskable Riskable is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb20103 View Post
Ok, well I would like to try that on a VPS before I look into installing it on a dedicated. Would it really be a huge deal if I installed it and did a trial run on a VPS? There really are only going to be like 3 people using the VPN anyway so I don't know why a VPS couldn't handle it.


-Caleb
If it is a Xen-based VPS I have no doubt that it will handle OpenVPN. If it is Virtuozzo or VMWare there's much more overhead so I don't know if I'd trust it to stay speedy.

It is surprising to me that you're not willing to go dedicated... ServerPronto (no affiliation) has dedicated servers for $30/month (I've hosted with them for about two years). How much are you willing to spend?

__________________
-Riskable
"Those who choose proprietary software will pay for their decision."

  #9  
Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Caleb20103 Caleb20103 is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 328
The VPS I am probably going to test it on is indeed Xen-based. How much RAM do you think I will need for this?

Also, I am paying $8/month for this xen VPS, and $10 for another VPS (openVZ). So currently I am paying $18 per month for 2 VPSs, still $12 short of a dedicated. Also, that $30 dedicated from serverpronto has similar specs to a VPS, except the dedicated 40GB HDD and you get the full processor all to yourself. Also, I've heard bad things about serverpronto such as crappy support and that canceling with them requires a lot more information and hassle than necesary.

Also, the reason I don't immediately want to jump onto the dedicated ship is because it costs more for one reason, and another is that I am looking for something to use my VPS for, and one of those things happens to be a VPN. I like the amount of control and customization that a VPS offers, while being pretty cheap.

You say you've been with them for 2 years, so what have you been using your server for for this time?


-Caleb

  #10  
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Riskable Riskable is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb20103 View Post
The VPS I am probably going to test it on is indeed Xen-based. How much RAM do you think I will need for this?

Also, I am paying $8/month for this xen VPS, and $10 for another VPS (openVZ). So currently I am paying $18 per month for 2 VPSs, still $12 short of a dedicated. Also, that $30 dedicated from serverpronto has similar specs to a VPS, except the dedicated 40GB HDD and you get the full processor all to yourself. Also, I've heard bad things about serverpronto such as crappy support and that canceling with them requires a lot more information and hassle than necesary.

Also, the reason I don't immediately want to jump onto the dedicated ship is because it costs more for one reason, and another is that I am looking for something to use my VPS for, and one of those things happens to be a VPN. I like the amount of control and customization that a VPS offers, while being pretty cheap.

You say you've been with them for 2 years, so what have you been using your server for for this time?


-Caleb
I switched from SuperbServers two years ago to ServerPronto because Superb was charging too much and they offered absolutely no upgrade path from Fedora to a better server distribution (Fedora SUCKS!). At the time I was a huge fan of Gentoo (still am) so I went with ServerPronto because they were one of the few companies that provided Gentoo boxes. Here's what my first server did:

* Email server for ~10 domains + 50 accounts + Spam/AV filtering
* Web server for 30+ websites (mostly blogs and a forum or two with squirrelmail)
* My personal VPN (before I decided to start doing it commercially)
* I occasionally ran Nessus on it when Comcast was blocking a lot of well-known hacks (I used to be a professional security consultant). I also used it for running fast nmaps and metasploit.
* VoIP server (asterisk). Still runs my personal PBX! I pay about $10 every three months to sipphone.com for my home phone's outgoing calls.
* Personal torrent/media download server. I have a script setup to auto-download podcasts via rtorrent that checks every hour for new releases. My home theater PC (at my house) synchronizes every hour with the server and files older than two weeks get auto-deleted. So when I'm browsing the video folder in MythTV I have an always-up-to-date list of my favorite Internet shows. All of this is LEGAL BTW.
* Encrypted storage server. I have my most critical digital files stored on the server on an encrypted loopback partition in case my house burns down or something. If the server reboots the only way for that data to be accessed is via a passphrase that must be entered in manually after I've logged in via my personal shell account.
* Database server. Both PostgreSQL and MySQL. The MySQL database for VPNOut is actually still on this box because it is really small and very low volume.
* Webmin and reports server: I manage my servers via webmin's clustering features and I've setup "custom commands" to help out with my VPN business customer administration tasks. I also have setup many custom MySQL reports in Trac that run off of this server.

Not bad for a $38/month (added the 1000GB option) 256MB Celeron box with a 40GB hard drive!

So far ServerPronto has been so-so. The price can't be beat and they've been pretty stable. Their data center has lost power a few times and trouble tickets can take a couple hours to respond some days. So to summarize:

* Their support sucks. Fortunately I'm a Linux guru so I don't really need it (unless something hardware-wise breaks).
* Their service is pretty stable and plenty fast (12MB/sec downloads many times via my server).
* They offer more operating system options than anyone else that I've seen.
* They're extremely cheap.

So overall not that bad but not that great either. I may or may not be sticking with them in the long run depending on a few factors. Fortunately my VPN setup is clustered and configured for high-availability so if one VPN server goes down it only causes my customers a brief blip (still working out the kinks). The problem I have with ServerPronto is that when they have a problem ALL your servers have a problem (i.e. the data center loses power).

__________________
-Riskable
"Those who choose proprietary software will pay for their decision."

  #11  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Caleb20103 Caleb20103 is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 328
Yeah, after reading old threads and descriptions of their cancelation procedure, I've decided if I get a cheap dedicated I will search elsewhere. If anyone knows where I can get one at an absolute max of $35-40/month, let me know.

  #12  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Wojtek Wojtek is offline
Aspiring Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 373
Pardon my ignorance, but why would you want to VPN into a VPS?

  #13  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Caleb20103 Caleb20103 is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 328
Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to?

VPS is cheaper than dedicated, so for me it's good....

  #14  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Wojtek Wojtek is offline
Aspiring Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 373
My question was more of a "why setup a vpn to a vps/dedicated in the first place"
I though VPN was used by people to connect to workplace networks so they have access to their shared drives and intranet.

Hence why I'm wondering what does setting up a vpn to a vps/dedi do.

  #15  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 AM
tsj5j tsj5j is offline
WebHosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
My question was more of a "why setup a vpn to a vps/dedicated in the first place"
I though VPN was used by people to connect to workplace networks so they have access to their shared drives and intranet.

Hence why I'm wondering what does setting up a vpn to a vps/dedi do.
A VPN can double as a proxified tunnel.
Privacy is golden, especially with all the spying people do.

Anything that goes through the VPN (to http or https) can be encrypted, at least till it reaches the VPS.

Reply

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Hivelocity Offers Customers Free Cloud Storage Web Hosting News 2014-01-13 15:16:53
Setting Up A Successful Affiliate Program Blog 2013-12-05 14:23:29
Inerol Solutions Launches XEN VPS Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2013-04-08 12:32:06
Working draft of Cybersecurity Executive Order leaked Blog 2012-09-25 12:40:14
Web Host Rackspace Adds FreeBSD 9, CentOS 6.3 Support to Cloud Servers Web Hosting News 2012-07-30 12:47:10


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?