Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Hi Dave...been a while. [waves]

I agree to a point with you but this whole thing has escalated over a seemingly lack of caring on LP's part over intruding in their paying customers businesses. Yes, it's cheap hosting but it's paid for cheap hosting. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Like it was previously stated: IF the customer was notified in advance (like any other change or addition to service they've done in the past) and given the opportunity to either opt out or stay in with the changes, this probably would never had happened.

But they weren't...they complained/voiced their opinions... and LP censored, deleted and banned it's customers from their forums! With no remorse either I might add.

The posting of how to create your own custom error pages to overwrite the ones installed by LP was their answer. Not "We're sorry we did this w/o notifying our customers. Please accept our apologies and assurances that we won't do this again w/o notifying you first".

All that's left to say is that LP has ruined the trust of it's customers that know about this issue and has effectively seen to it that nothing remains as evidence in their forums. There are postings here and on blogs all over the 'net about it but LP still stays in cover up mode.

At least the ones that DO know are seeking hosting elsewhere now. Small consolation, admittedly but a consolation all the same.
      0 Not allowed!

From their new TOS

In an effort to help create the best possible user experience we have created a series of content sensitive error pages which are displayed in the event any user enters an erroneous URL for any activated domain name within the Lunarpages server structure. You may use our error page at no extra charge and you hereby grant to Lunarpages a limited, non-exclusive license to use any right you may have in any mark consisting of, derivative of or related to the domain name for the purpose of displaying such error pages under your domain name or any sub-page thereof in the event that for any reason your page fails to resolve or does not exist. Such error pages may at the option of lunarpages contain links to your domain, to Lunarpages or to any other site or service. At any time, you may choose to disable the Lunarpages error pages by selecting a different message to display for errors within your Domain under your control pannel.
    I prefer an opt in as to an opt out
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MapleOne View Post
    From their new TOS

I prefer an opt in as to an opt out
    One really scary thing about there new TOS is this one line.
    You may use our error page at no extra charge
    Will this also change later ?
      0 Not allowed!

Not only were customers not notified in advance, but not at all for what I would realistically think to be the bulk of them, in other words, people who just use the hosting and don't spend time just hanging out at their host's forums so much that they were lucky enough to catch the short lived thread. Most customers (like my friend that I warned) will probably never even know about this and LP will be able to get away with it no problem... it is more than likely a very tiny minority that know about it and are pissed.

I'm thinkin the only thing that can really be done to teach em a lesson is some voodoo or somethin... hex their servers!
      0 Not allowed!

sandyf Guest
    If I've learned anything about the internet it's that you can't hide anything.

Even if your customers aren't tech savvy, the resellers will find out over time (when an angry customer calls them, lol). Resellers closing accounts has more impact than the average customer who doesn't even know there's a forum

Edit: actually it's the resellers I feel sorry for. They're going to feel the effect of the customer's anger if the ad-pages appear (why didn't they know, why didn't they create a custom error page).
    Last edited by sandyf; 10-10-2007 at 12:55 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I wonder if I'll ever get a response to my trouble ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble ticket
    So is there ever going to be a clarification on
    1) What post I was receiving a warning about
    2) What "rule" I was breaking with that post.

From your Acceptable Use Policy that is posted on the forums. (FYI these are support forums for paying customers)
    http://www.lunarpages.com/support.php
    Support Options:

* FAQs
    * Glossary
    * Online Tutorials
    * Control Panel Manual
    * Knowledge Base
    * Lunarpages Forums
    * Lunarpages Support
    * Telephone Support
    * Open Support Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by apu
    Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.
    So I'm still waiting to know what major violation of the agreement I'm accused.

If the mod are unable to provide this information, I request that My status be restored.

Or is it time to go looking for legal advice ?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaxley View Post
    Any ideas about a strategy to get the word out to the PR LP customers??? PM me......
    If you've got any ideas, I may have a place to post all about them.
    I'm really saddened to see another provider take this route to make a couple of bucks. At least be public about it, Hostgator & Bluehost pulled the same thing.

HostGator of course is "going to donate it all to charity", this ol' "funding our public school assistance" thing is equally as bogus. Quite frankly, it's sickening. I can't wait to see what's next.
    Last edited by David; 10-10-2007 at 04:06 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Bill in AZ Guest
    It could not hurt to let the domain owners know about the practices of their host. It might be amusing to email an Orthodox Temple asking why they are endorsing Christian singles dating services. A real estate agent might be interested to know his domain name is being used to hawk cheap mortgages. A bed and breakfast that has their domain name used to link to hotel searches is just going to be thrilled to know about their new user friendly error pages.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyf View Post
    I agree Dave, domain owners need to learn this lesson (unfortunately for some, it will be the hard way!). I know I will look closer at a host TOS.
    Great idea but Lunarpages changes their TOS as often as people change their underwear.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Unless you have your very own server, you are "borrowing" their space to put your stuff in when you sign-up for website hosting. Your contract with them dictates the terms of service, which you agree to even if you really don't.
    We are paying for hosting space, at no point are we giving the owner of the server the right to place advertisements on our domain, and yes I consider the 404 pages on my domain. Anything that has my address in the address bar is part of my domain.

I I wanted ad supported hosting I would sign up for GeoCities.
      0 Not allowed!

Bill in AZ Guest
    It is worth the domain owners attention that once a link is followed from these sleazy error pages, that the continued use of the domain name is seen on the resulting pages. As LunarPages is using these error pages for their own forum, you can see this in action. Following this link http://lunarforums.com/webhosting will most often (the page returned changes) pull up a page with a search this site box. If you enter web hosting in the search form, you will then go to a page at information.com that hawks competing web hosts. At the bottom of the page you will see some of the favorite searches attributed to Lunarforums.com including of course more links to competing webhosts.

It is an amusing excercise when done at Lunarpages expense, but what if it were your domain name being used and the ads were for your competition. If Lunarpages wants to shoot themselves in the foot like this, good for them, I hope the pennies earned are worth it. But for Lunarpages to pass a paying customers domain name to a sleazy operation such as this is completely unethical.
      0 Not allowed!

In light of Lunar Pages' actions, this law suit is interesting: http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/packets001559.shtml
      0 Not allowed!

Good research

I have an attorney on retainer so I will ask him his advice and what he makes of all this.
      0 Not allowed!

That should be interesting
      0 Not allowed!

BTW, some folks have copies of the deleted posts, threads, and comments. Could be the outline for an interesting book on ethcis
      0 Not allowed!

We should copy them to here to preserve them.

I hope the people who own this forum allow free expression.

And a reminder to everyone that we are not out to put Lunarpages out of business, nor do we want to slander the company. We only want them to reverse their decision and allow an opt in instead of an opt out on the 404 pages.

I consider a 404 page with my domain in the address bar as my property and I am sure most domain owners feel the same way.
      0 Not allowed!

I think there were 7+ pages and several iterations. Not sure they would want all that posted here? Guess someone could post them on their website and make a link from here to it? Most forums state that posts are the property of the posters, and not sure if PR LP had/has that policy. If they own them I guess they can do as they want. I can't get to check the forum because they banned my IP. However, I'm on a temporary WiFI and will be moving in a few weeks and will check it out....curious.
      0 Not allowed!

Bill in AZ Guest
    Yaxley, Were you banned for posting on the Lunarpages forum or was it in retaliation for posting here?
      0 Not allowed!

Dreamhost has a pretty fun blog post about it, and are offering Lunar Pages refugees their first year free!
      0 Not allowed!

Not sure exactly what you mean Bill. My posts were deleted and then I was banned for responding to a fellow who had mail problems. My post was :
    Don't know if LP is still blacklisted and if that is a problem? http://www.vistainter.com/reviews/L/lunarpages.com/

If they are not blacklisted, then someone should contact that site and clear it up.
    The thread was about people not getting email and that was a problem with me also. Go figure.

I think they banned my ISP address, but I'm now moving and will check them out again in a few weeks.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm still on the floor laughing,dwrunyon. There are some others out there but I think this is the best Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

I'm still wondering how legal the bans are.
    After all, they say the forums are a support option for paying customers.
      0 Not allowed!

My understanding is there are people looking at the legal options. I'm not a lawyer, but my sister is
      0 Not allowed!

I about died laughing when I saw that post from Dreamhost. Gotta love 'em!
      0 Not allowed!

I got a warning from moderator "Mitch" to stop as all I was doing was causing trouble. Stop or I would have to be banned from the forums for a period of time. All I was asking in there is what everyone else was asking... that they stop this nonsense and go back to the way they were. I even started another thread asking about these unusual search sitest that come up with http://wwh.found-not-help.com/search? or http://wwwh.found-not-help.com as an alternative, and this is COMPLETELY unrelated to the bogus Error404 pages at Lunarpages. There was a couple responses to it. One suggested looking at the thread about the 404error and another saying it can't be found.. then Mitch moved it to another spot, stating that lunarpages will be happy to help anyone configure their 404error pages, and if need more info, PM him. Then it was locked. Such BS
    I need to leav this site now and go to all my hosted add on domains at Lunarpages and upload my changed .htm files that do NOT have the Lunarpages logo at the bottom for referral.
    "I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it!"

Vern
    http://vernsdidj.com didgeridoo stuff
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast