How do you transfer a domain?

I never did that, so I'd appreciate a kind of step-by-step tip.

I have done my first registrations at godaddy and lunarpages. Those are only one domain each, but I like the names, and want to keep them.

I want to transfer then to where I have my other domains: at Answerable.

Is there some code to unlock the domain with a registrar, and transferring it over to another? And how do I know it is going there? Is there some destination code?

Thanks!

Best to ask Answerable there procedure

General Transfer Procedures are as follows:

1. Need to update your whois info on the domain to reflect your current contact info. especially registrant and admin as that is where the transfer approval email will be sent.

2. You need to unlock the domain at the current registrar (this depends on the registrar as each has their own way of doing it)

3. Acquire the EPP/Authorization code (for .com/.net/.org/.info/.biz) domains

4. Submit a transfer request at the registrar of your choice and provide them the code.

5. Approve the transfer when you receive the email

6. Be patient and wait. Transfers normally take anywhere from 3 to 8 days to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by domainintelligent View Post
    General Transfer Procedures are as follows:

1. Need to update your whois info on the domain to reflect your current contact info. especially registrant and admin as that is where the transfer approval email will be sent.

2. You need to unlock the domain at the current registrar (this depends on the registrar as each has their own way of doing it)

3. Acquire the EPP/Authorization code (for .com/.net/.org/.info/.biz) domains

4. Submit a transfer request at the registrar of your choice and provide them the code.

5. Approve the transfer when you receive the email

6. Be patient and wait. Transfers normally take anywhere from 3 to 8 days to complete.
    Thank you!

Will it be the same process, if those domains have been registered private ( which I do with all my domains)?

The process wouldn't change. The private WHOIS data is typically a proxy service that will forward the email to what you have on the account. So, make sure your information inside your account is correct for the WHOIS data.

If the WHOIS shows your email as xie98333k30kjfw@domain.com, and I email that, the proxy service should forward my email to whatever email address you have in your account (what's being masked by the WHOIS data).

Sometimes, depending on the registrar, once you have approved the first email for the transfer, you may be able to call up the current registrar and ask them to approve the transfer. Since the burden of proof lies with the gaining registrar (who you are transferring to), some registrars will be glad to help and move the process along for you.
    BurstNET® - an INC500™ Company -sales @ burst.net - 1-877-BURSTNET
    New! Pentium-D Dual-Core Servers and Dual/Quad Xeon 3GHZ Servers
    netBAQ™ External Backup Storage | Unmetered Servers | VPS | Co-Location
    http://www.burst.net - http://www.nocster.net - unrestricted.net

Here is some information at answerable.com that should help you:

http://manage.answerable.com/kb/serv...et/cat121.html
    WebHostingReviews.com (Established 1999)
    Web Hosting Customers: Happy or unhappy with your host? Let others know on our web site.
    Web Hosting Companies: Drive traffic to your site by getting listed in ours.

i had some dispute the registrar or the guy from where i have got the domain,
    how can i get authorization code? if possible

You said that you have registered thro' GoDaddy and LunarPages?
    You have registered from them directly or thro' any of their resellers?
    If so, you have to get Autho code from them itself by submitting a Ticket or talk to them for the same.

All the Best
    Best Regards,
    Liasion A,
    ============
    Born For Fun..! Loyal To None...!

Here is transfer process:

Initiate the trasfer with Answerable.com with domain name and transfer secret code. Answerable will send the confirmation mail to the admin id of that domain. Administrator have to approve that confirmation mail. Now Answerable will forward the request to the respective registry and registry will confirm the same with loosing registrar and your domain will be transfered!