Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    David I would be living in a fairyland to believe people shop on support and reputation alone. "it didn't bump sales for more than a few days." Actually we were hitting record sales almost every day until our competitors did their next round of plan increases dwarfing ours. Most of us have been at unlimited for a while now so let's not kid ourselves.

From the HG blog:

Anyone we find crashing a server will be moved onto a server with only twenty accounts on it for the same monthly hosting price, instead of being suspended. Twenty customers will be paying us just shy of $200 a month on a server which at our cost has a $1,200 setup and about $250 a month leasing fee. You heard me… We are going to be giving abusers hosting below our cost.
    I think this is one of the most benevolent server resource policies I've ever seen. I applaud this way of thinking. The old policies (not just with HG) of just shutting people down was really kind of un-cool... I always liked to know of hosts that would spend a little time working with resource abusers rather than knee jerking with a boot from the server, but this takes things that large, extra step further and I commend Brent for this way of being... good on you!

Otherwise, the whole idea he has outlined in the blog post makes perfect sense to me, really. Sure, it's not completely accurate (the plans, and what can actually be used), but pure reality dictates that it is both necessary, and will work just fine. It takes guts to go against the purest grain, but the purest ain't really the one payin the bills, and I can both respect the need to pay the bills, and applaud the ability to employ many others and help them to do the same.

May The Force be with Hostgator... always!
    Last edited by dwrunyon; 10-06-2007 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    David I would be living in a fairyland to believe people shop on support and reputation alone. "it didn't bump sales for more than a few days." Actually we were hitting record sales almost every day until our competitors did their next round of plan increases dwarfing ours. Most of us have been at unlimited for a while now so let's not kid ourselves.
    Kind of reminds me of the Cold War.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

The blog wrote in a very nice form and told the true story. Even though having more bandwidth from provider could mean saving for the hoster but there is still some degree on how much they could save. Having along the line that you would switch back to the old plan is really nice since HG want to become larger.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrunyon View Post
    From the HG blog:

I think this is one of the most benevolent server resource policies I've ever seen. I applaud this way of thinking. The old policies (not just with HG) of just shutting people down was really kind of un-cool... I always liked to know of hosts that would spend a little time working with resource abusers rather than knee jerking with a boot from the server, but this takes things that large, extra step further and I commend Brent for this way of being... good on you!

Otherwise, the whole idea he has outlined in the blog post makes perfect sense to me, really. Sure, it's not completely accurate (the plans, and what can actually be used), but pure reality dictates that it is both necessary, and will work just fine. It takes guts to go against the purest grain, but the purest ain't really the one payin the bills, and I can both respect the need to pay the bills, and applaud the ability to employ many others and help them to do the same.

May The Force be with Hostgator... always!
    ya I do not like hosts the just close your site its not right.
    I mean did downtownhost.com close my site when I was using to much cpu cycles no they worked with me and when another site on the server i was on was causing cpu cycle issues i was moved to a new server so my site did not keep going down.
    It is these types of things that make a host good.

Thinking about this a bit more, if you put the resource hog onto a server with 19 other resource hogs, that ain't gonna work... the server would ALWAYS be down, wouldn't it?

Also, there are two kinds of resource hog... one uses bad scripts and whatnot that would bring down even a single dedicated server... these types cannot be dealt with in any workable way in a shared environment.

The other type is one who simply uses too much for a single shared server that has other hogs on it too. For these, I think the Dreamhost model is best, in that they look for a server that is filled with very low usage sites to place that type of account on, which balances out for everyone. It would take some effort on the host's part to find a suitable spot for em, but I do think it's better than just lumping all the "trouble makers" onto one server together.

Actually we were hitting record sales almost every day until our competitors did their next round of plan increases dwarfing ours.
    What, a week later?
    Seriously -- you're better than this.

Sales shouldn't be your only method of survival. Growth is great but an active, loyal clientbase that is content as hell will always trump out a brand new sale who is looking for the cheapest, largest plan.

You're marketing to the wrong folks if your sales skyrocketed when your plans did.
    On the other hand I still have copious amounts of respect for your ability to build & retain your reputation and company, all the while still being able to trump millions of other competitors out there. It's when you do things like these "for sales" rather than learning to cater to your existing clientbase that make me lose immense loads of respect.

You've got a half a million people (or more) utilizing your services. Sell 'em something new for a couple of dollars and you've increased your revenue by a million per annum. Anywhom, </thread> for myself.
    Last edited by David; 10-06-2007 at 01:07 PM.

they should do what downtownhost.com does with sites that have bad scripts.
    They will first tell you which script is casing the issue and you have a chance to move it.
    such as when my shoutbox was causing cpu issues.

Quote Originally Posted by amichan View Post
    they should do what downtownhost.com does with sites that have bad scripts.
    They will first tell you which script is casing the issue and you have a chance to move it.
    Definitely. Essentially these are the kinds of things that let us know that a host respects us as humans behind the account numbers. I think it's even cool to disable a bad script and contact the account holder to inform them of the issues and options.

I'm sure it really makes a big difference though (or should) based on the degree of resource hoggage severity. I don't know about the "lowly techs", but I'm sure Brent does his best to have benevolent policies in general, he's always seemed to put a lot of personal effort into shaping his business as positively as he can.

Yep I could not agree more. I am now using a totally different shoutbox that does not have that issue at all but it does have less features but i am not upset about that nor are my members.

I don't know what are chances people shop on support and reputation alone, but I am one of them. For a hosting company out of 100 million competitors to stand out and become so successful, a young guy with no background to get so successful, I don't know what are reasons that differentiate him from hundred millions competitors that try to get beyond him? except luck, hardworking, I think there are more, the spirit of what people belives your company has that is unique from others. ) add oil

I cannot comment on hostgator's new plans because this is something that is hostgators business. I hate it when other hosts who are supposedly competitors make posts about other hosts.

I think this should be banned on WHT as its simply cheap. If not then hosts should not be allowed to post signatures in such posts.

I feel stupid when paying for something like 600GB of space which I will not be able to use. As If I pay money for whatever you have told me or advertised, then provide what you have promised.

Whenever seeing such large space quota, I just close the browser and never return to that company, because you will never know what will happen to the server or what happen to your account.

Most of us have been at unlimited for a while now so let's not kid ourselves.
    You should have just summed up your blog post by saying what you did, but in a single sentance:

"we are lying to you, but the others do it as well, so we think that makes it ok"

Tell yourself what you want, but what you have admitted in that post is very clearly saying that you are false advertising and that is illegal.

The problem I see now, where can you go when your competitors start to take the new sales again? When you offer everything, the only other option you have now is to start dropping prices. If you take in less money for the same service, only the customers suffer from cost cutting measures.

In the end, it can only be downhill for your company now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    You should have just summed up your blog post by saying what you did, but in a single sentance:

"we are lying to you, but the others do it as well, so we think that makes it ok"

Tell yourself what you want, but what you have admitted in that post is very clearly saying that you are false advertising and that is illegal.

The problem I see now, where can you go when your competitors start to take the new sales again? When you offer everything, the only other option you have now is to start dropping prices. If you take in less money for the same service, only the customers suffer from cost cutting measures.

That all makes since to me. I am leaving them soon any way do to the inode issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post

The slippery slope of marxism.

oh come on, this isn't new. lets not kid ourselves here.

They were offering plans that their clients couldn't use to their max before and now they are doing it again and people are complaining?

They also dropped their shared hosting price by 30%.

It used to be 6.95

Hostgator basically has an unlimited supply of diskspace and bandwidth so we don't care who uses what, and some actually will use it all.
    We are still going to continue putting our 200ish accounts per server and anyone that causes downtime will need to be moved. This is the same thing hostgator has been doing since we launched.

To sum it up....

Cause downtime = in trouble
    Not causing downtime = eat your heart out

I always love the short, to the point replies of any HG representative here. All clear!
    hi there!

Hostgator basically has an unlimited supply of diskspace and bandwidth so we don't care who uses what, and some actually will use it all.
    We are still going to continue putting our 200ish accounts per server and anyone that causes downtime will need to be moved. This is the same thing hostgator has been doing since we launched.

To sum it up....

Cause downtime = in trouble
    Not causing downtime = eat your heart out
    well that makes me feel a little better but that guy on live support was rude about the inode thing.

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    I always love the short, to the point replies of any HG representative here. All clear!
    That because everyone loves Brent. He wins hearts

Quote Originally Posted by HostSentry View Post
    That because everyone loves Brent. He wins hearts
    Ya he is cool.

Our prices haven't dropped at all we just added a two year and a three year offer that we didn't have before at a discounted rate. We don't recommend paying for more then a year up front with us or any hosting company for that matter. We've never done this before but I'd imagine the percent of people who pay two to three years up front is going to be less then 1%.

So why did we add something we don't recommend doing?

About 30% if not more of our sales come from affiliates. If you take a look at pretty much any affiliate comparing hosts they usually list the really cheap two or three year option. Example.... www.hosting-review.com

Hostgator was ending up on the bottom of any list if on it at all because our price while the same as the others on a month to month basis was being compared to the other hosts three year option without them knowing it. It's the old bait and switch and while we held out from doing it for years that has now changed.

If you don't convert you don't get listed. And to convert well your plans have to be close to everyone else's along with price.

I thought you had 3 years when i signed up as i thought thats what I got.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com