Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    this is getting funnier!

how come you think that?

Well, what good can come out of any of this? The only thing I can get from HG is an amusing stall before this ride begins.

And to think people flamed me for calling hostgator walmart a couple of months ago.

Does this move create an unhealthy market? YES

Quote Originally Posted by keepr View Post
    It was created by an unhealthy market in the first place.
    Got Fused?

Excerpt From An Interview With Nigel Tufnel, Head Of Hostgator Marketing

Interviewer: So tell us about the new 600/6000 plan at Hostgator?

Nigel: Well, Dreamhost started offering 500/5000, so I thought, Hey, lets make ours go to 600/6000, so when you want that extra, you know? It's like, 100/1000 louder.

Quote Originally Posted by keepr View Post
    And to think people flamed me for calling hostgator walmart a couple of months ago.

How does it create an unhealthy market? Everyone has their sand pits to play in, Hostgator just moved to the wettest. Fair play to them; if they want to battle it out with other providers in the budget service sector, let 'em at it. It doesn't affect the market as a whole. You're giving way too much undue credit to a budget hosting provider.

The move was bound to come. The Planet (their provider) offers unmetered bandwidth, so it was only a matter of time before HostGator took them up on that offer.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Quote Originally Posted by comeas View Post
    maybe!
    Temporary adjustment?
    I extremely doubt it's a temporary adjustment. Things like that rarely, if ever, happen.

As for the increase, if Hostgator can keep their service at quality levels, then good for them. That's really what it comes down to.

HG is paying big bucks on their affiliate program at CJ, they have to "fight" with DH, BH and some others offering that kind of plans, they decided to enter in this battle of low price/high packages on the previous plan change.
    I think that they support cost are going to be increased with this plan though, since they tend to attract to uneducated people.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    I wonder if Reseller Zoom will adjust their advanced plans to compete a little better with these new storage and bw specs from HG.
    Instead of this reseller zoom has increased the prices

Arrow [Reseller Zoom] Rate Increase on old B-1/RZ-1 Plans
    Our goal has always been to provide our customers with the best reseller hosting experience at an affordable price.

In order for us to stay committed to that goal it is necessary for us to raise rates on our old budget level 1 plans to continue to provide the level of service you expect, including:

• An uptime SLA guarantee of 99.9% with 3rd party monitoring
    • 24/7/365 free technical support
    • Enterprise class servers with continuous upgrades

Since launching Reseller Zoom in October 2004 this is the first time we will be changing our rates for our existing customers. As a valued customer, we are giving you advanced notification of this rate change.

Base Rate Change

Starting on November 1st, 2007, your new base rates for all budget level 1 plans will increase from $4.95/mo to the new rate of $6.95/mo. Budget level 1 plans include packages with the package ID's RZ-1, or B-1, or any reseller plan with a base rate of $4.95/mo. Your exact pricing will depend on any other add-on services that was added to your plan including ip addresses, site builder software, or Urchin stats.

Plan Name
    RZ-1
    Old Rate = $4.95/mo
    New Rate = $6.95/mo

B-1
    Old Rate = $4.95/mo
    New Rate = $6.95/mo
    RVH Cloud - Every day hosting solutions since 2003
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting VPS Dedicated Servers True 24 x 7 x 365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by IHSL View Post
    How does it create an unhealthy market? Everyone has their sand pits to play in, Hostgator just moved to the wettest. Fair play to them; if they want to battle it out with other providers in the budget service sector, let 'em at it. It doesn't affect the market as a whole. You're giving way too much undue credit to a budget hosting provider.

The move was bound to come. The Planet (their provider) offers unmetered bandwidth, so it was only a matter of time before HostGator took them up on that offer.

Simon
    Big dif between a dedicated server on a capped port with unmetered bandwidth and a shared hosting plan with unlimited bandwidth.

It's a shame to see a Company like HG join the ranks of the slimy Advertisers and Con man.

Using the old bait 'n switch they advertise their "Baby" package at $7.95 month but looks what shows on sign up:

Code:
    Billing Cycle:

Monthly @ $9.95
    3-Months @ $29.85
    6-Months @ $59.70
    Yearly @ $119.40
    24-Months @ $214.80
    36-Months @ $286.20
    Haven't had time to change their Billing script? Yeah right, where have we heard that before and how often.

I guess the writing was on the wall when HG starting using Client 404 pages to get free advertising for themselves.

It's a shame this had to happen as there will now be more people being sucked in by a Hoster that cannot provide what their Clients pay for. Yes, everything is spelled out by their TOS but knowledgeable people know, in order to abide by their TOS a person could get by with 1% of what the HG packages now offer.

6 TB of Data transfer for less than $10.00 a month -- I don't think so.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Quote Originally Posted by Techark View Post
    Big dif between a dedicated server on a capped port with unmetered bandwidth and a shared hosting plan with unlimited bandwidth.
    Not really, for this situation. I would imagine Brent and HG staff sleep a little easier knowing that if an end user actually plows through a ton of bandwidth, they are not on the hook for XXX.XX dollars. Unmetered enables hosts to offer unlimited with a little less worry, at least from a billing standpoint (the worries about actually offering unlimited are a different story).

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Quote Originally Posted by contactsonia View Post
    Instead of this reseller zoom has increased the prices
    Wow, I never heard of a host raising prices before. That is great.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    HG is paying big bucks on their affiliate program at CJ, they have to "fight" with DH, BH and some others offering that kind of plans, they decided to enter in this battle of low price/high packages on the previous plan change.
    I think that they support cost are going to be increased with this plan though, since they tend to attract to uneducated people.
    What is cj or bh. I am assuming DH is dream host.

I am with hostgator.com and your hosting there Jedito and I am not a uneducated person, I just needed more space and I do not have much money and they do have a lot of good reviews on this site.

I am just going to keep a closer eye on things as I just heard a few bad things over at invisionmodding.com about them which does have me worried but maybe there are good explanations for those.

When I was needing the more space I thought of going with downtownhosts.com top plan but then though how much more I was going to add and found that will not be enough.

I then looked at lunarpages.com but saw a few bad reviews even though my brother does not have a problem with them so I ended up going with hostgator.com .

Hello Amy

CJ is Commission Junction (cj.com) and BH is bluehost, however, I'm talking to the kind of people that they are going to attract with their new unlimited bandwidth package.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

ya I am honestly really scared of staying with them.
    Actually today I looked back on lunarpages but I will give it time and see how things go.

BestBudgetHosting Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob View Post
    I guess the writing was on the wall when HG starting using Client 404 pages to get free advertising for themselves.
    This was a major gripe for me when I was with Hostgator. When I contacted support, they told me in was in my ToS. But I could make my own custom 404 and override theirs. The problem for me being they're 404 pages override WordPress php404 pages.

hmm I did not think of that as a bad thing until now as I used it to prove to some people who I was hosted with.

BestBudgetHosting Guest
    It was really bad if you were a reseller, you would have a client with HostGator 404 pages.

Oh I can see how that would be a problem it does not bother me.
    Blue host did the same thing when I was with them.
    although bluehost did something a bit farther the favicon was theirs and I could never get it to show my favicon.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBudgetHosting View Post
    It was really bad if you were a reseller, you would have a client with HostGator 404 pages.
    AFAIK, HostGator didn't put custom 404 pages on reseller accounts. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

.... Ohhh noo....
    drew@slicie.com - Vertical Scaling Servers
    30 Minute Backups - Pay for what you use

Quote Originally Posted by Orien Wu View Post
    AFAIK, HostGator didn't put custom 404 pages on reseller accounts. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    Yup, IIRC reseller servers were exempt.

I must say Brent, I don't think the blog post really helps.
    There's no way to call yourself a scam in one sentence (even in the blog) & then in the next try to redeem yourself.

Quite frankly, you 'sold out' to increase sales rates the last time you made an increase in package sizes.. & it didn't bump sales for more than a few days.

You really expect it to be any different this time? You're selling yourself short if you've ever thought people were signing up with you because of resources & not support. People have been signing up with HG because of reputation, livechat & available phone support.

They couldn't give 2 hoots about your resource offerings.

A'las, such is life.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast