Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Burst forgot to verify

**Disclaimer: This is in no way a bash on burst/nocster. Take it as a warning.

Today my system got rebooted for absolutely no reason. So I checked to see why and it was a burst employee that rebooted it. So I messaged Matt and here's what happened.

[07/30/2002 04:01] PCSteve2001: why the ****
    [07/30/2002 04:01] PCSteve2001: was my system shut off
    [07/30/2002 04:01] PCSteve2001: Last login: Thu Jul 25 16:22:36 2002 from fe-0-0-nat.scr1.hostnoc.net
    [07/30/2002 04:02] BurstCSM: when and who told you that you were shut off?
    [07/30/2002 04:02] PCSteve2001: one of your guys rebooted it
    [07/30/2002 04:02] PCSteve2001: Last login: Thu Jul 25 16:22:36 2002 from fe-0-0-nat.scr1.hostnoc.net
    [07/30/2002 04:03] PCSteve2001: this is BS
    [07/30/2002 04:03] PCSteve2001: you people log into our systems and reboot them
    [07/30/2002 04:03] PCSteve2001: wtf man
    [07/30/2002 04:03] BurstCSM: ok, your server may not have been responding after a router reboot that had to be done, and they may have rebooted it to pick back up the route
    [07/30/2002 04:03] BurstCSM: yes, on managed servers, if not responding, you are paying us to bring them back up
    [07/30/2002 04:04] PCSteve2001: it was responding
    [07/30/2002 04:04] PCSteve2001: my pings never stopped
    [07/30/2002 04:07] BurstCSM: lemme check
    [07/30/2002 04:07] PCSteve2001: please do
    [07/30/2002 04:07] PCSteve2001: im quite upset
    [07/30/2002 04:10] PCSteve2001: if it wasnt responding how would a tech even be able to login =/
    [07/30/2002 04:12] BurstCSM: your always upset
    [07/30/2002 04:12] BurstCSM: I think I'm going to go to Cosco's and buy you the economy size of Lithium
    [07/30/2002 04:12] PCSteve2001: lol
    [07/30/2002 04:13] BurstCSM: see, I know how to make you smile
    [07/30/2002 04:13] PCSteve2001: but i just dont like my server being hsut down
    [07/30/2002 04:13] PCSteve2001: without my consent
    [07/30/2002 04:16] BurstCSM: who knows where you house your server?
    [07/30/2002 04:17] PCSteve2001: ?
    [07/30/2002 04:17] BurstCSM: somebody called in and asked to have the server rebooted
    [07/30/2002 04:17] PCSteve2001: what
    [07/30/2002 04:17] PCSteve2001: and you didnt ask for verification????
    [07/30/2002 04:19] BurstCSM: I just yelled at the guy, it all happened at the time that Nick updated routing maps (100 % necessary), AT&T gave some difficulties, but all other providers were fine, and reboots picked up the new routing maps
    [07/30/2002 04:20] PCSteve2001: OMFG so youre telling me I can call and have cpanel boxes rebooted
    [07/30/2002 04:20] PCSteve2001: wit no verification
    [07/30/2002 04:21] BurstCSM: no, it's something we explicitely went over, it was because of the routing issue of it, which was a mistake
    [07/30/2002 04:21] PCSteve2001: but if someone calls you dont verify anything
    [07/30/2002 04:21] PCSteve2001: to me thats bad business
    [07/30/2002 04:22] PCSteve2001: what if the person that called asked to have the box formatted. would he have done it?
    [07/30/2002 04:24] BurstCSM: no, he would not have done it
    [07/30/2002 04:24] BurstCSM: I just told you we do verify things, but because of this situation, he failed to do so
    [07/30/2002 04:24] PCSteve2001: im sorry but thats bad man
    [07/30/2002 04:25] BurstCSM: I agree, and that's why I yelled at him
    [07/30/2002 04:25] PCSteve2001: im sorry but i have to post this on WHT cause this is just overly pathetic.
    [07/30/2002 04:26] BurstCSM: well, you do what you have to do Steve
    [07/30/2002 04:26] PCSteve2001: its nothing against you but your employees arent doing their job correctly
    [07/30/2002 04:27] BurstCSM: fine, well, I'm sorry about the situation, and it is something I brought up to my employees, anyway, you do what you feel you must do, and I will do what I must do
    [07/30/2002 04:28] BurstCSM: I can't take the mistake back, and I don't think running to a forum is going to be much better, but if you must, feel free
    [07/30/2002 04:29] PCSteve2001: hey i feel people should be warned about this. this is a major mistake. not a slight mistake
    [07/30/2002 04:31] BurstCSM: agreed, well, I'm sorry, and will expect you to do whatever you must do in order to feel righted in this situation
    [07/30/2002 04:32] PCSteve2001: how can i feel secure this wont happen again
    [07/30/2002 04:32] BurstCSM: and posting this on WHT is going to do what?
    [07/30/2002 04:32] PCSteve2001: i decided to stick with you guys and this is what i get in return
    [07/30/2002 04:32] BurstCSM: you say that as if intentional
    [07/30/2002 04:32] BurstCSM: it was not
    [07/30/2002 04:32] BurstCSM: the employee was verbally warned, and if happens again, he will be terminated
    [07/30/2002 04:33] PCSteve2001: and here i am stuck dealing with customers due to a unwarned system reboot and now i have to go and restart all my services.

As you can see I was quite upset. But I have a right to be. The employee made absolutely no attempt to verify information. Here I am now stuck having to restart all my scripts and everything else.

As you can see Matt is just as upset as I am. It's not his fault that some employees don't remember what they learned in training.

They need to implement a system like RackShack. I remember a thread where a guy was part owner of a box that needed to be rebooted. RackShack wouldn't even touch it due to the lack of information the guy provided. Personally I think that's very secure.

Can someone decode this for me?
    I just yelled at the guy, it all happened at the time that Nick updated routing maps (100 % necessary), AT&T gave some difficulties, but all other providers were fine, and reboots picked up the new routing maps
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Why does this stuff have to be posted publicly? This should be between you and Burst.

It baffles me.
    http://www.stodge.net
    http://pixellent.stodge.net - Pixellent Interactive

It's to warn any customers that their box may be randomly rebooted.

that stinks man hopefully burst/nocster will learn from this one

Originally posted by zdwebhosting
    that stinks man hopefully burst/nocster will learn from this one
    That is exactly what I hope happens.

My nocster box has 30 days uptime so far...

After they fixed their kernel issue, no problems with hardware or software, they just need to get some decent network admins in to keep the network up...

The up and down yo-yo sh*t doesn't fly...

Matt knows my system admins well enough that I don't think he'd take a reboot request from anyone else...
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Matthew said it was a mistake. He openly admitted that. Why isn't that good enough for you? What; never made a mistake? Never knew anybody that made a mistake? If I were Matthew I wouldn't even have talked to you with the way you acted. You should be thankfulll that he stayed on and found out what happened for you. I woulda booted you in a heartbeat.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yes the system was up for 36 days I think. Now I'm back to square one

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Matthew said it was a mistake. He openly admitted that. Why isn't that good enough for you? What; never made a mistake? Never knew anybody that made a mistake? If I were Matthew I wouldn't even have talked to you with the way you acted. You should be thankfulll that he stayed on and found out what happened for you. I woulda booted you in a heartbeat.
    Umm sorry but if your system got rebooted I'm sure you would be pist. I suggest not speaking until the shoe is on your foot.

Correct Matt was very helpful. I'm not mad at him. Just the employees need to think before they act.

He said that he addressed the issue.

He coulda talked like you and said things like, "WTF r u talkin about?? That server was never down!!" And just passed the buck and so on.

But, you feel you were abused so badly that you come here and register a different username so you can "warn" us all of Burst/Nocster.

And you are correct. If I had a server with them and it was re-booted without my consent or knowledge; I would be upset. However, I would have handled it much differently.

Also this was posted here as a warning and nothing more. It's not a bash on burst at all. If I was going to bash them I would have made it a lot worse. I was only warning people and letting them know my expereince. After all isn't that what these forums are for??

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    He said that he addressed the issue.

He coulda talked like you and said things like, "WTF r u talkin about?? That server was never down!!" And just passed the buck and so on.

But, you feel you were abused so badly that you come here and register a different username so you can "warn" us all of Burst/Nocster.

And you are correct. If I had a server with them and it was re-booted without my consent or knowledge; I would be upset. However, I would have handled it much differently.
    You and I are 2 different people. Isn't a NOC suppose to warn you of downtime? Aren't they suppose to verify information before doing anything to the systems you rent? After all isn't that what we pay them for?

Maybe someone could fill me in on just how many times Burst has done this?? I am not saying that this is an excuse, but you don't need to get so angry over it. Maybe you should have been the good guy and acted more like a businessman, telling Matt that you were not at all happy at what is worker did. You probably would have gotten further with with Matt if you had done such.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Well when my system gets rebooted for absolutely no reason. And knowing that anybody could call and have my system shut off. These things don't settle right with me. If the person verified my credit card number or something then I'd have no reason to be upset. But they asked for absolutely nothing. Not even root pass. How the hell can they not atleast ask for that. That alone is enough verification to me.

> Burst forgot to verify

No... they didn't. They made a decision that based on the situation. It turned out to be a wrong one. But I bet you'd be yelling just as loud or louder if your box couldn't be reached and you didn't have some piece of info like your customer number with you at the time. I agree they should have verified, but it was a mistake.

> You and I are 2 different people. Isn't a NOC suppose to warn you of downtime? Aren't they suppose to verify information before doing anything to the systems you rent? After all isn't that what we pay them for?

So if your box is down you want them to contact you before they reboot it?

> their box may be randomly rebooted.

What was random about it? They had an issue after some work, someone called with a problem. They put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5. A mistake yes, but random? no.

I think you are taking this a little to the extreme. It was a mistake, correct it, learn from it and move on.
    Lagniappe Internet L.L.C. - Wholesale Reseller and VPS Hosting.
    Lagniappe (lan-yap) - An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.
    HostEntrepreneur - Hosting news, reviews, tips, tricks, help and the occassional rant

That's right. I want to be notified when anything will be done to my systems I rent. What if there's something extremely important going on?

By random I mean without you knowing about it. Not saying they walk around the noc and hit buttons.

So; you want to be notified before a mistake happens. . . . . .

Well, gosh; that doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

ONE comment only:

I like very much the way Matthew handled the situation.
    A guy restarted the server, he yelled at him and when contacted by 'serverdown' he was very upfront about all this.

I'm not a Burst client but after reading this I must say: "Keep up the good work, Matthew"
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.

Originally posted by cyansmoker
    ONE comment only:

I like very much the way Matthew handled the situation.
    A guy restarted the server, he yelled at him and when contacted by 'serverdown' he was very upfront about all this.

I'm not a Burst client but after reading this I must say: "Keep up the good work, Matthew"
    I agree Matt did a great job dealing with it. I'm not mad at him. I talk to him everyday on AIM. We get along great. It's just the employees not verifying information that's scary.

serverdown,

Time to chill out. One server reboot is nothing to get all up in arms about. That is less then 5 minutes of downtime anyway. No big deal and no need to let us know about it because most of us really don't care. They were just trying to do their job so let them.

Originally posted by serverdown
    Well when my system gets rebooted for absolutely no reason. And knowing that anybody could call and have my system shut off. These things don't settle right with me.
    Sorry to break it to you, but you need to re-read the log that you posted above. Matt said that it was a mistake and the proper protocal wasn't followed by this employee. This situation resulted in a verbal warning for the employee, I don't know what else you expect them to do. Also, I found your log to be VERY AMUSING namely the following quote.
    [07/30/2002 04:25] PCSteve2001: im sorry but i have to post this on WHT cause this is just overly pathetic.
    This is the equivalent of telling on me to mommy.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Originally posted by labgeek
    [B]> Burst forgot to verify

> You and I are 2 different people. Isn't a NOC suppose to warn you of downtime? Aren't they suppose to verify information before doing anything to the systems you rent? After all isn't that what we pay them for?

So if your box is down you want them to contact you before they reboot it?
    he said the box was not down. It was rebooted on some one'S requests without verifying anything, that's scarry

but i am sure they are going to be more conservative in this regards from next time

[07/30/2002 04:01] PCSteve2001: why the ****
    [07/30/2002 04:01] PCSteve2001: was my system shut off
    PCSteve2001: wtf man

IMO, Matt did the great job as always because your laungage was quite abusing but he managed it professionaly.
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

Dont worry Steve im on your side.

This man pays for a service he should get it.

If i rented you a car then, you went to the bathroom at a gas station and i went and got it washed. Would you be mad..................

Originally posted by Abaddon

If i rented you a car then, you went to the bathroom at a gas station and i went and got it washed. Would you be mad..................
    Ahh but if you took your ferarri in to the forest and switched it for a ford and just as you were about to drive away, a tree fell and nobody saw it....did it actually fall at all?

Depends did it fall on a chicken?

2 things to say:

1. You aren't the only one this has happened to. I'm not talking specifically about burst.net. Sometimes techs mess up, especially when alot of activity is going on. He made a mistake and I'm sure he feels stupid after he did it.

2. You could have handeled this more professionally. Cussing at one of the techs isn't going to make him work harder/faster. If it was me I woulda sat down and started reading my magazine. Your server was rebooted and you were mad, I can totally understand that. Posting it on wht to try and warn people that this m ight happen to them after 1 incident is absurd. If it bothers you that make leave burst.net but you don't want to do that because you know another company wouldn't put up with the **** like you displayed here. If they format your system then post it here, 1 reboot didn't harm anything. Like I said, if it was that bothering then leave.

Im kind of tired of a situation where something goes wrong, and before you can explain it...
    'if this happens again I am telling a forum'
    or... 'I am going to cancel if * does not work immediately and tell people and the BBB and forums and the government'.... usually those are due to problems we didn't cause.

And I am REALLY tired of the language people use. I really think it is amazing how people feel they can talk over email or AIM to someone in business, when you know they wouldn't go to Best Buy of OfficeMax and yell WTF or this is F*ing rediculous ... etc. If they did their uncivilized butt would be kicked out and trespassed.
    This is not a personal attack on the poster, but the way he talked on AIM to Matt is just an example of my point.

No matter who a host really may be, they are still a business (well most of them )

I think that rebooting your server at someone's request without proper verification is not right at all, but either is posting a private message.

Re: Burst forgot to verify

Here I am now stuck having to restart all my scripts and everything else.

should of set them to auto start upon boot

Yes the system was up for 36 days I think. Now I'm back to square one
    uh oh
    the worlds over now
    kill yourself

your uptime is gone

give me a break

Originally posted by Abaddon

hahahah helll no man

just makes it cleaner

i wouldnt be mad, i would have that extra 2 hours it takes me to wash my car

I'm not aware of any specific details of this situation, but it is just a simple reboot! A 2-3 minute downtime....I don't see ythe big deal....most of our servers housed here are not mission critical 99.99999% uptime required, or else our NOCSTER clients would be paying for more than a $99.95 service, with a 99.5% uptime SLA. Also, reboots are really not that much of a security concern...I can see why identity verification was not requested. If a server was to be shut off, or a root password changed, etc....our staff would have definately verified the identity of the individual...but a simple reboot?....not really much of a security risk involved there....

Sean R.
    BurstNET

Well then I guess you don't care about your customers. Anything at all that has to do with customers should be verified. What if something was updating when they rebooted it? There would be problems. I don't care if it was a simple anything at all. The information should be verified no matter what. What if somebody changed a file so that when the box booted it deleted everything? You would have just helped him. Lets be real here. anybody in the world can find where our boxes are. All they gotta do is call and say hey reboot ABCD. So you do. Then 10 minutes later they call back and get a different tech. They reboot it again. It could go on for a long time. All I want is a little assurance that people just cant call and have my system rebooted. That is totally bogus.

Sean our stuff might not be mission critical to you but it is to us and our customers. Your comments are clearly stating you don't care about your customers. I'm starting to regret this move more and more. I have nothing against a lot of burst employees. In fact I know quite a few. I just feel you need to tighten up on security a bit. If I can't sleep at night cause some script kiddie is going to call and have my system rebooted than what can I do.

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say
    WE DON'T CARE!!!!

Call them personally. If a simple reboot is something for you to worry about I suggest you go get some mental help. End of disscussion.

Look, he already said that people can't just call in and ask for a reboot. There are certain situation when you need to make descions.

Take RS when their 2 fiber lines broke at the same time. Robert had to make a descion to cut the top 10 bandwidth overages for the network for the time being to ensure the quality of otehr customers.

In this case they had a lot of things going on at one time. When they were asked to reboot they did with little hassle. They had to make a quick descion...they didn't debate it for 15 minutes.

And no offense, but you try to manage your own datacenter. And if you screw up I want all of your clients to come post here

I only see a need to post in public when you can't contact the company. Not when you are angry!

And like Rob_AcuNett said... NOBODY cares. I would rather sit here and scratch my @$$

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by phpcoder

And like Rob_AcuNett said... NOBODY cares. I would rather sit here and scratch my @$$

Just my $0.02
    LOL!

Personally i dont want to prove who i am every time i phone for a reboot. Trying to explain my root password over the phone is a nightmare.

What name do you 'usually' post under in this forum, serverdown?
    You have blown that whole situation so far out of proportation that you can't even see it from where you're at.

And, for the record, and I don't believe I have ever done this before and it's kinda freakin me out . . . . . .

"I agree with Sean 600%!!"

You're just lucky he's nicer than me. I would just refuse to let you use a box of mine if 90 seconds of down time is going to hurt you so.

I think someone said it earlier, "You need . . . . . . . . [well doesn't really need repeating now; does it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast