Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

CI Host - Chicago Down

CI Host's Chicago Datacenter (CDC-3) is down. Their network has been down since early, early this morning. See https://hostingsupport.com/networkstatus/ for updates.

They keep changing the ETA times. If its just a simple router upstream on their SONET Ring, there is still no excuse for it to be down this long. Also, where are their redundant connections?
      0 Not allowed!

I recommend you do a bit of searching on these boards for CIhost, and any other provider you wish to partner with in the future.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I recommend you do a bit of searching on these boards for CIhost, and any other provider you wish to partner with in the future.
    I already know. I just keep a colo machine there. Have for years. Its no big deal for me, but for others I'm sure its hell.
      0 Not allowed!

have you called them for status?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by moosh28 View Post
    have you called them for status?
    Yes. They say its a router. I find it interesting that the entire datacenter went down just after the first. And that its taken this long to fix a router and that they'd have such a bad single point of failure in the first place.

I am assuming thay CI Host didn't pay the bill with Equinix. I'm waiting for my colocated machine to come up so that I can pull my own MRTGs, get credit as I find a replacement.

I know that you get what you pay for, but its just a server for a couple of personal projects. I never thought that this would happen. Ah well. Live and learn I guess.
      0 Not allowed!

CI isnt with Equinix. They actually have their own facility in the city. Just wondering, did they ever come back up?
      0 Not allowed!

CI isnt with Equinix. They actually have their own facility in the city. Just wondering, did they ever come back up?
    According to their network status page, it's still ongoing... the new ETA is 08:30 CST.
      0 Not allowed!

Absolutely correct, however, their network transits through Equinix.

Just came back up. Time to rsync to somewhere else!
      0 Not allowed!

I heard they had a break in at the datacenter, can anyone confirm?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes they had a break in
    No one from CIHOST will return our calls or emails.

I had to call chicago police department to confirm there was a break in.

Story is wishy washy but they did file a police report and had photos and finger prints taken.

we lost $15k worth of equipment
      0 Not allowed!

Last time this happened, I read that they didn't reimburse anyone either. Seems the security there is outstanding, isn't it?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nkrapf View Post
    Yes they had a break in
    No one from CIHOST will return our calls or emails.

I had to call chicago police department to confirm there was a break in.

Story is wishy washy but they did file a police report and had photos and finger prints taken.

we lost $15k worth of equipment

can you provide proof of that?
      0 Not allowed!

I did a web search and found this thread. Awesome. I noticed my server (appx $4k) , colocated at the Chicago CI Host facility had been offline since early last week. Likewise, I was getting various excuses.. "There was a power outage".. "There is a router problem".. and ETAs that were all drastically incorrect. Finally I received a call in the afternoon on Thursday I believe, from Matthew Rappaport at CI Host. He told me there was a breakin and theft, there was a known weakness in the wall that the intruders used to gain access. An employee was alerted and when he showed up he was tasered. He believes it was an inside job but he doesn't know for sure. I was also given a detective's name and number as well as a case number -- Detective James Swick, 312-744-8263 Case #HN-623601

The detective basically told me that this CI Host facility is horribly insecure, he also thinks it's an inside job (all of the cameras/recording equipment were taken)

Matthew at CI Host offered to setup a temporary server for me, not even remoetly in comparison to the computing power of the server I lost. I was a customer for about 4 months.

I am consulting a lawyer and am completely prepared to take legal action against CI Host as they are obviously in gross negligence which is a violation of the contract.
      0 Not allowed!

Class Action

Can you let us know what your lawyer says? This is not the first time this has happened. It kind of feels like a theme...something is not right here.
    The detective said it seamed like an inside job.
      0 Not allowed!

wow this is insane....
      0 Not allowed!

I've been a customer out there for a little over a year.

When did a break-in happen before?
      0 Not allowed!

For those of you that have lost equipment and cihost has not contacted you here is the info:

Police Report Number for this incident is HN 623601. The detective assigned to this matter is Detective James Swick, Area Three, Property Crimes, of the Chicago Police Department. Detective Swick may be reached at (312) 744-8263.

you may also want to contact cihosts legal department :
    James M. Eckels jamese@cihost.com

CIHOST provided us a inventory sheet to fill out and fax in to them for the police department.

Nkrapf
      0 Not allowed!

Isn't the equipment in locked cabinets?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    Isn't the equipment in locked cabinets?
    If you're going to break down a wall to gain access, cabinet locks aren't going to slow you down.
      0 Not allowed!

Just terrible.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    If you're going to break down a wall to gain access, cabinet locks aren't going to slow you down.
    couldn't have been much of a wall.

Anyone here been to the Chicago CI Host facility ? I'd be interested in seeing some pictures.
      0 Not allowed!

I was there briefly a year or so ago to pickup a client's hardware, and needless to say, I wasn't impressed. Though I didn't snap any pics, I do remember a lot of loopholes in security, mainly in their sign in and access measures to the floor.
      0 Not allowed!

What a horrible situation!!!

Has anyone gotten any updates, compensation, anything from cihost at all?
      0 Not allowed!

F$%k Me

I had ALL of my servers last year. It was a major disaster and cost me a lot of customers. And, I had the majority of my data backed up between servers and not off-site.

Now, I had two of my three servers stolen. Luckily the third server was left and am able to limp along as I try to weather this substantial financial hit again.

It has been a disaster. I can also say it has to be an inside job. It as the exact same M.O. as last time just a different, non-reinforced wall.

Like to know of who else got ripped off.

-j-
      0 Not allowed!

it's amazing that this isn't getting more press as this is the *SECOND* break-in they've had.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast