* Well, might as well put it out there :-)

Well,

Seeing all the masterpieces posted on this site, I'm almost cringing to put my lil site on here, but I need some feedback. I have tested with my target audience and they seem to like it, but I would like some expert opinions.

Its pretty wierd, you put so much work in a site, it becomes like your child, and you get quite protective ... but, I've prepared myself and am making myself do this!

So, without further ado, here goes: http://www.teengalaxy.net

Thanks all,

--rockit

Oh yeah, if you want to log in and check out what it looks like after that, you can use this test account: rockit/gamora
    Last edited by rockit; 07-30-2002 at 01:25 PM.

Hi, humm well its not *that* bad... with a little work it can look alot better tho... here what i would do....

first ur logo is a little TOO colorful...i actually like the logo on u r board better... also not a big fan of u r bight purple kinda becomes an eye strain...maybe u should try a more neutral color like orange or something not so neony....I actually think the orange and blue combo on u r board works very well...u r font and pics seem to fit u r target audience. I don't really like u r nav bar.... it think it would work better as a horizontal nav bar across the top maybe under u r logo where u have all that white space. I would also move u r pic of 3 chicks all the way to the left...

humm lets see what else....oh u def wanna center u r layout for people with high res like me....people with low res won't be able to tell the difference...

other then that its pretty good....

oh one more thing more picks would be nice it still looks kinda empty on u r pages...

good luck...

I think its good. It's targetted toward teens who use the computer to instant message/chat/etc but don't know what a hard drive is.

Hello

I like the pixel art work of the girls at your site. Very nice...the purple is a little strong on the eyes, but it's okay since it seems to be targetted at a certain audience.

Keep up the great work

Kind regards,
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Thanks guys ... I agree that the purple is a little too bright, my lil cousins love it so I've left it until I do a new design. I wanted a more sober mauve color originally, but it was supposedly "not fun"

jhcashman ... how can I move the nav bar horizontally, wouldn't it look kinda odd to have buttons in that white space? Also, when you say center the layout, should I then make the sides have white or a light creme shade on the sides? Actually I like that idea ... I use a high resolution too, and it looks so small.

IT Hosting and GetBoxed ... thanks for the input, I really really appreciate all the suggestions and comments.

Thanks,
    --rockit

I like the site. I agree with some of the earlier comments about the colors being a little too splashy however, it is a Teenager site and it may not be inappropriate for your site. I would recommend reducing the intensity of the purple outlines around the three boxes on the right side of the main page (info, login, poll boxes).
    You may want to reduce the border width or possible eliminate them altogether.

i kinda like the site. it seems to work with the targeted audience. i also like the logo. even the colors within it. i just feel that the logo would work much better on a white or light background becuase it starts to blend in too much at "eng" of the logo. i say get rid of the "click here to place an ad...". it seems real out of place up there.

i find the 3 characters to be very interesting and want to see more of it. enlarge it more so that the purple background doesn't become over powering like others have stated.

i really like how you used the same colors from the logo and used them in your content. great use of unity. with that said, why don't you try to use more of that color and apply it to the outlined boxes on the right. i want to see more colors. too much purple.

when you go into the links like style, entertainment, horoscope, etc. i don't like that font as a headliner. use the same font you used from the logo. you're pretty much border line on the too may different fonts used. in your content, you used different types of fonts. it would also look better if you use the same ones and size to keep it consistent.

the message board looks good, but doesn't have the same feel as the whole site. the logo does not look as interesting as the main. you used the same colors, but let's try to make it interesting as the site you enter.

overall i like it. i want to see more use of colors because that is what the teen scene is all about. being able to stand out and be flashy as the next. a big part of that is colors.

i hope that helped.

good luck.

Wow, that was quite helpful. I see the font you're talkin about. Actually if you refresh the site, its a different group of 3 girls. There are 6 sets with different gradients in the font. I see the one you're talking about and will make the change accordingly.

I also see what you're saying about unity in the fonts. I've used different sizes of Verdana throughout ... not good? The section headlines I'll put up in the title font. So what you're saying is that change the boxes of the color so that each box is different?

ctdp ... would changing the color of each box be similar to what you're saying?

I was holding back on color thinking it would be overkill. I changed the right border to the lt gray to match the box interiors, cuz the purple was definitely overkill.

Again, thank you all so much!

--rockit

nice. i like how that you rotate the order of the characters everytime you refresh it. very good. i still think you should enlarge it. it is too interesting to kepp so small. it makes me want more.

yeah...try to keep all the font content the same size. it will also look more organized when doing so.

i'm not sure if they(boxes) should be in different colors. it doesn't hurt to try it out. now that i envision it, i could see how it could look nice. at the beginning, i was thinking one color in the logo. but try both of them and see which one you like.

too much color is not overkill if you apply it right. look at disney and legoland. they are surrounded in a sea of color. they just know how to use it.

purple was overkill. it doens't mean you don't have to use it. you have to balance it a bit. a good complimentary color to purple would be red. and red is a favorite color to the teens.

one more thing. i kinda want to see more color in the navigation on the left besides the roll over. the rollover is pretty cool though.

your site has a lot of potentional and i want to see get up there.

good luck.

Originally posted by rockit
    Wow, that was quite helpful. I see the font you're talkin about. Actually if you refresh the site, its a different group of 3 girls. There are 6 sets with different gradients in the font. I see the one you're talking about and will make the change accordingly.

I also see what you're saying about unity in the fonts. I've used different sizes of Verdana throughout ... not good? The section headlines I'll put up in the title font. So what you're saying is that change the boxes of the color so that each box is different?

ctdp ... would changing the color of each box be similar to what you're saying?

I was holding back on color thinking it would be overkill. I changed the right border to the lt gray to match the box interiors, cuz the purple was definitely overkill.

Again, thank you all so much!

--rockit

Yes, I think using one of the logo colors around the boxes on the right may work well.

Hey, just finished implementing some of the changes... tell me what you think ...

Thanks

Just in case you're wondering what is different
    1) Purple is darker
    2) Dolls are bigger
    3) Fonts are uniform (within boxes and then as text)
    4) The buttons are different color
    5) Less purple, making the margin a contrasting color for the purple.

Thats about it ...

12. i'm liking it more. i really like where you are going with the navigation. it flows very well with the design.

i don't know about the red there. now that is starting to feel too overpowering. it basically took the spotlight that the purple had. but not as bad as the purple had. i don't know what i would do with that area. maybe something lighter, not brighter. maybe i just have to get used to it. ask some one in your targeted audience and ask for their opinion. kinda hard for me since i'm nowhere near your target.

i was thinking of using the red to outline those boxes on the right.

it looks a lot cleaner by staying with the same font and size. i suggest you change the headline and change it to the logo font to keep unity in the design.

the ad on top should go or at least place it somewhere else.

it looks like it is coming along pretty good as well as interesting.

keep up the good work.

Originally posted by rockit
    jhcashman ... how can I move the nav bar horizontally, wouldn't it look kinda odd to have buttons in that white space? Also, when you say center the layout, should I then make the sides have white or a light creme shade on the sides? Actually I like that idea ... I use a high resolution too, and it looks so small.
    Hi just center the whole layout i don't really think it matter what the background it i would keep it at white....as for the other thing...

first of all I disagree with MANY of the "suggestions" that visualnewbie has giving you...

first of all now that you changed it u have not only a huge section of white but your top header takes up half of your browser window...which is really bad...you want u r visitors to see your actually site not a header with a huge chunk of white space....

as for the navigation i guess is okey to have it on the side i personally like it at top because it gives easier access to them....and it takes up less space...personally i would have made the picture of 3 girls smaller and put u r logo which i still think is way too colorful right next to it with a bar under it and maybe all ur links there on one line under that....

the other thing that is VERY Awkward is your post a ad here white box thing...that looks really bad.... u should get rid of that continue the purple across and if u do wanna keep u r nav on the side then place a normal size full length ad where the white space is...but u r header is def way too big....

as for what visualnewbie said:

"i really like how you used the same colors from the logo and used them in your content. great use of unity. with that said, why don't you try to use more of that color and apply it to the outlined boxes on the right. i want to see more colors. too much purple."

okey he is right and wrong...he starts off saying the right thing....visual unity is a good thing...however u have NO visual unity...if u look at u r site now it just a mess of all different colors all over the place with a really annoying bright purple backgorund....I really don't see how u can have visual unity with more colors?

u r board on the other hand does have visual unity take a look
    http://www.teengalaxy.net/forum.php
    u have a few nice colors that work well together that u carried thoughout the design....it is alot cleaner then u r site.... u r site right now has way too many colors that each contrast with each other there is no unity what so ever....

"the message board looks good, but doesn't have the same feel as the whole site. the logo does not look as interesting as the main. you used the same colors, but let's try to make it interesting as the site you enter. "

for me this is totally wrong.. ur site is not interesting right now...its a confuson of different colors....where as u r board is well structured....with a VERY nice and CLEAN design....u r logo on the board is also design quite well blending in very well with both the background and the navigation as well as the the rest of the site colors.

right now i think the thing to work with on u r site is the colors - u have to many - u need to chose a couple of colors that work well and use them through out the site. u r multicolored navbar and logo just does not work well in my mind....overall u r site just too flashy...and not very "clean"

remember just because u can [use all those colors] doesn't mean u should....sometimes simplisity is the best....

please note that i am used to designing for professional sites ... i realize that u have a totally different target audience and if u think that all those colors are all the rage with u r target then by all means feel free to do what u would like... these are just my suggestions and wether u take them or not is based on u r descision and what u want YOUR site to look like....anyways good luck and if u have any more ? or anything feel free to PM me....

14. jhcashman

i do agree with you on centering the site as a whole. my main concern was the left navigation looking awkward. so, i didn't mention it.

when i read your post, you don't really disagree with what i posted earlier. you actually reinforced my suggestions. such as the ad. what we really disagree on is unity and use of colors. which all based on personal opinion.

about the unity... it is all a question of perspective. i do see a visual unity, but perhaps you don't see. which is colors. nothing wrong with that, but you have to understand that this for a certain audience that neither of us are apart of. that is when i do suggest to find someone that is and have them critique it. also, go into a teen room and tell me what you see. a room full of clutter, colors, magazine cutouts, pictures, letters, etc. teens also use colored pens when doing school assignments as well as writing to friends in class. no matter how much we don't like it, that is them, especially now these day's. we also may think it is a mess. as much as i don't like the purple, the audience does and we have to cater to them. i remember purple being a favorite color amongst teens.

the boards my be cleaner yes. in my opinion yes it is much cleaner. but, that is my taste. and my taste is not what matters. it is the audiences taste that matters. which i can see can be too plain.

i can see your pain in which there is too much color. my style to totally different. i would never accept this account because i know i would not like it. i do really disagree about the "its a confusion of different colors". would that be in your eyes or theirs?

Originally posted by jhcashman
    please note that i am used to designing for professional sites ... i realize that u have a totally different target audience and if u think that all those colors are all the rage with u r target then by all means feel free to do what u would like... these are just my suggestions and wether u take them or not is based on u r descision and what u want YOUR site to look like....
    i agree with everything you just said. we agree to disagree...

take care jhcashman.