hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : what is better for windows hosting? More CPU or more RAM...

Forum Jump

what is better for windows hosting? More CPU or more RAM...

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

what is better for windows hosting? More CPU or more RAM...

Hi,

I am providing linux hosting for a while now, but want to expand my services to windows hosting as well.

I am looking to get a dedicated server, but could use some help in deciding what to chose.

What would be better for windows 2003 hosting? It would normally be used for asp.net pages, and people can use ms sql (but the free msde edition). There will also be mysql on the server.

What would be better, more ram or more cpu?

config 1: less cpu, more ram

Xeon QUAD-CORE Clovertown E5130 (4 times 1,6 Ghz)
8 GB ECC DDR2 ram

config 2: more cpu, less ram

Dual QuadCore 5310 8 times 1.6GHz Cores
4GB ECC DDR2 Ram

Also, I am looking at offering ajax for asp.net. Does this take a lot of resources on the server?

And what about running apps in isolated application pools for every user. Does this take a lot of server resources?

Thanks for your help guys!

Sponsored Links
Old

Hi DCvoluwe,

Be careful about using MSDE/SQLExpress - it has some limitations in terms of maximum DB size, concurrency, etc.

In terms of RAM & CPU, they should usually be matched, 1-2GB per CPU is ideal - but it really depends on the workload of your servers and what types of applications you'll be hosting. Generally though RAM is better than CPU.

AJAX on asp.net - it doesnt necessarily take any more resources on the server - if coded correctly it can actually reduce the load on the server (only part of the page has to be re-rendered, not the whole page). Depends on how the developer writes the code.

www.BitFlowHosting.com

Old
******* Unleaded

Unless you are running the 64 bit version or are using one of the AWE aware products, you cannot use the extra 4GB.

On second thought, yes you can if you are using virtualisation software.

uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Last edited by plumsauce; 09-29-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
Unless you are running the 64 bit version or are using one of the AWE aware products, you cannot use the extra 4GB.

On second thought, yes you can if you are using virtualisation software.
we will be using the enterprise edition of windows 2003, so I don't think that will be an issue?

Old

Does anyone know if running apps in isolated application pools for every user takes a lot of server resources?

Thanks!

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCvoluwe View Post
Does anyone know if running apps in isolated application pools for every user takes a lot of server resources?

Thanks!

It would take more resources than if you were to put everybody in a single application pool. However, there are tradeoffs - using isolated application pools prevents one bad app from taking them all down. GENERALLY speaking, I would not recommend putting different apps in the same app pool - especially if they're different customers in a shared environment.

www.BitFlowHosting.com

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCvoluwe View Post

Thanks!
Typically 7mb of ram per wwp.exe.

I would highly recommend practicing strict app pool/virtual directory/etc best practices from STEP ONE. This will save you a lot of time in the future.

Keep your inetmgr, and directories extremely organized or you will completely regret it in the future. I've had to administer some shared server clusters containing hundreds upon hundreds of domains that were a complete joke, and I'd spend more time tracking down tiny little logistical details than actually troubleshooting and resolving issues.

Last edited by mrjit; 10-04-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Microsoft Surpasses Amazon as Largest Windows Hosting Company: Netcraft Web Hosting News 2014-02-27 17:05:44
Newtek Web Hosting Listing 2014-01-08 18:51:28
JaguarPC Listing 2013-12-11 23:26:58
Rackspace Launches Free Cloud Assessment Tool for Windows Server 2012 Migration Web Hosting News 2013-07-31 13:27:03
Windows Azure Processes 4.7 Billion Authentication Requests Weekly Web Hosting News 2012-11-27 17:21:03