register.com refused transfer - what do I do now?

A client of mine wants to transfer 2 domains to my enom reseller account. register.com have refused the transfer (after about 10 days). My client also told me that register.com emailed him because of the transfer request and offered to renew the domains for $12 each. He did not respond to the offer.

So what do I do now? Do I contact enom to see if they can help? Do I lodge a complaint with ICANN against register.com?

Ah the joys of domain transfer.

You'll need to figure out how to work through these. 80% or more of your transfers will fail the first time. Half of these will fail the second and third time as well.

You need to contact register.com and find out exactly why it failed, fix the problem, and resubmit. Repeat until you finally jump through all the hoops they are putting in front of you.

ICANN will not be any help. eNom may.

Good luck. We have a person doing this almost full time with hundreds of transfers "stuck" in the pipe at any one time. It's not fun, but it's part of the business.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Originally posted by thewitt
    80% or more of your transfers will fail the first time. Half of these will fail the second and third time as well.-t
    Are you just talking about Register.com or all domain transfers? I've transfered doezens of domains from an OpenSRS Reseller to an Enom Resller with out any problems.

Register.com just needs the business...lol...maybe thats why they're giving you a hard time. People know they can get it cheaper elsewhere, so they do!

From OpenSRS is probably the least problematic of all registrars. The OpenSRS folks know that trying to block a transfer by obfuscating the process is not the way to make friends. Most of the other registrars are not nearly so straightforward in their dealings with customers.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Ask your customer to forward you one of the mails from register.com, If I remember correctly (Its been a while since I dealt with a domain transfer from register.com) their transfer approval mails start by asking you if you wish to renew with them and you have to read the mail carefully to realise that its the approval email.

If that is the case, resubmit the transfers and ask your customer to approve the transfers when they recieve the mail(s) for the second time and it should go through.

HTH

Originally posted by thewitt
    The OpenSRS folks know that trying to block a transfer by obfuscating the process is not the way to make friends.
    A lesson some others have to learn (Nsol, register).

When transfering domains for my customers, I ask them to simply forward me any emails sent by the registrar. Then I read them carefully and respond as appropriate.

Another alternative might be to chance the admin contact email to your own and then try it..

Good luck!
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I transferred my domain name away from Register because I couldn't afford their price, but also because they continually spammed me with reminders that my domain name was due to expire in over 4 months!!

Luckily, my transer elsewhere worked beautifully, and I'm very surprised to hear that you're having such problems.
    http://www.stodge.net
    http://pixellent.stodge.net - Pixellent Interactive

Originally posted by mrzippy
    When transfering domains for my customers, I ask them to simply forward me any emails sent by the registrar. Then I read them carefully and respond as appropriate.

Another alternative might be to chance the admin contact email to your own and then try it..

Good luck!
    Thank you to those that have offered that excellent advice. Yes the client received and email (as the registrant) and it did appear to be an inventation to renew at a special price rather than any sort of confirmation email. Also enom got back to me and asked whether the admin contact confirmed the change - but of course the admin contact is register.com So I will change the admin contact over to be myself, and reapply for the trasfer.

Thanks all!

i have transferred quite a few domain names away from register.com to enom and have never had trouble doing a transfer even once. They went smoothly every time.

My client also told me that register.com emailed him because of the transfer request and offered to renew the domains for $12 each. He did not respond to the offer.
    Register.com sends a letter to the listed registrant and it starts by asking them to stay with Register.com and they will only charge you $12 to renew. But as you read further, there is a link in which you are meant to click in order to approve the transfer of the domain name away from register.com. If your client simply did not respond to this email, and ignored it, this is more than likely where the problem has occurred.

I have transferred names away from Register.com and in some instances the whole transfer has been completed in less than a day.

Originally posted by stodge
    I transferred my domain name away from Register because I couldn't afford their price, but also because they continually spammed me with reminders that my domain name was due to expire in over 4 months!!

Luckily, my transer elsewhere worked beautifully, and I'm very surprised to hear that you're having such problems.
    that's a positive note..
    stodge: where did you transfer the name's too? what registrar?

I've never had problems with Register.com until this month too! I have 6 domains right now that have failed and each time it is them not returning the request from the other service. Never had a problem with them until now and I'm pissed!!

Phone tomorrow again ..

I had a similar problem with Godaddy refusing a transfer away from them. I re-initiated 5 times and they admitted it was a mistake on their side and promised to transfer the domains.

After 1 month I filed this with the Better Business Bureau and a few days later the domains were magically transferred.

You can also file a registrar problem report with internic.com. Although they won't actually do anything for you, they will also send a copy to the registrar involved. Got this info from the sitepoint forum.

I see, this happened to me too. Register.com puts the transfer confirmation at the bottom of an e-mail which advertises a $12 deal. What a scam!
    They know most people don't read their crap.
    Rich D.
    EBS

They are also using cheap tactics. When you get a transfer message in your email, the first link they put in the mail, is the one to stay with them for the reduced price. But if you click on your transfer link to ok the transfer process, it takes you to a messed up page. The buttons to ok the transfer are way to the right off the screen, you have to scroll to the right, otherwise you won't see them. I use 1024 x 768, who knows what they designed the page in, it was designed this way on purpose, it's no accident.

They're scum
    Rich D.
    EBS

I tried to transfer my domain from register.com to eNom and it was refused by "loosing registrar". I called register.com: they gave me eNom number and advised to request transfer in writing. eNom representative told me that they had problems with register.com which are now resolved. So he advised me to initiate new transfer online. Same result after 10 days. eNom ignored my 2 service requests I sent them by email.
    So:
    eNom: good price, bad service
    Register.com: bad price, bad service

Originally posted by ethos
    I tried to transfer my domain from register.com to eNom and it was refused by "loosing registrar". I called register.com: they gave me eNom number and advised to request transfer in writing. eNom representative told me that they had problems with register.com which are now resolved. So he advised me to initiate new transfer online. Same result after 10 days. eNom ignored my 2 service requests I sent them by email.
    So:
    eNom: good price, bad service
    Register.com: bad price, bad service
    Why does eNom have bad service for not being able to resolve an issue of register.com not releasing your domain? The problem you have is with register.com, not eNom. If register.com doesn't want to release your domains, then there's nothing eNom can do.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Why does eNom have bad service for not being able to resolve an issue of register.com not releasing your domain?
    Only because they didn't reply to my support request as I mentioned in my previous post.

pls give me a hand with this

hi all
    i have a problem with register.com. I have 2 domains registered with them and want to move them to a new provider. Well, there the trouble starts, they want a 200$ for each domain!

Is this normal? Is there a way arround this? I need this domains, one of them is my main company domain.

Pls help!

Thx

Hungarian

Re: pls give me a hand with this

Originally posted by hungarian
    hi all
    i have a problem with register.com. I have 2 domains registered with them and want to move them to a new provider. Well, there the trouble starts, they want a 200$ for each domain!

Is this normal? Is there a way arround this? I need this domains, one of them is my main company domain.

Pls help!

Thx

Hungarian
    No the 200.00 fee is for internal change of ownership. If you transfer the domain name AWAY to another registrar you only need to pay the gaining registrars transfer fee NOT the 200.00 to register.com
    Domain Maven

I would never do business with any company that holds the domain hostage and/or charges for transferring.

I've transferred hundreds of domains back and forth between enom, godaddy and opensrs with no problems whatsoever. First time, every time.

I hope you get your domain transferred and remember the name of the errant registrar for future note.

fewcoin

just transfer the domains away from register.com to any other registrar without contacting them if you are the administrative contact.

contacting them usually causes confusion whenever you mention the word 'trransfer' they think its ownership transfer which costs $200 !
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Hi all,

seems you guys are right, maybe I missunderstood the text they state on the pages.

Thx a lot

Hungarian