Thread: Download cart

Question Download cart

Many of you hosts and clients here have one or another type of e-commers-solutions. I have been sifting through a number of free solutions as well as demos of the ones you pay for. I finally decided to write my own script in perl (don't hang me for that, but it comes with linux). I have to set up a site for the company where I work, and I think I can fix that, because it will just send the order through e-mail and then they will pay normally through invoices and such.

But... I got and idea for my own site, and here is my question...
    I want to create a download cart. You pick out the images you want to download, and then you get it all in a nice zip-file, or maybe they are all sent to your e-mail, or something like that. I know some image-companies have that, but I can't find a script that have that particular setup.

Can I make something like that? What do I need my host to do for me? Anyone got a code-snippet I can look at to know what to do when I write my own script?
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Dear friend.

I m nuts in programming....but I know a pro-solution for your question.

Red Hat Interchange.

If you are good in Linux stuf and in Web technologies then use and modify Red Hat's Interchange.

It is Open source
    More than Pro
    Free
    AND ABOVE ALL.....LEGAL!!!!

ALex
    -------

I've got Mandrake, but I guess Red Hat is about the same. One problem though... I don't have my website on my own server, I host it, so... what can I do?

I was hoping for a piece of perl or cgi-code to help me or point me in the right direction.

Anyone?

Here's some code for creating zip files using PHP:
    http://codewalkers.com/seecode/65.html

Hope that helps...
    Modest Mouse Talk

Thank you! I'll take a closer look. Now a silly question... is php written in perl?

No, PHP is it's own language.
    Modest Mouse Talk

Oh, I see. Does Linux Mandrake with Apache support it, or do I need to install something extra? Or does it work like java?

A long the lines of "You pick out the images you want to download, and then you get it all in a nice zip-file, or maybe they are all sent to your e-mail, or something like that.", I can point you to an excellent script -- and it's Free!

I've been using it for over 2 years and it works very nice. It's written in Perl, but does require the MIME::TOOLS module. All the information you need is at the site: http://www.datatrendsoftware.com/automail_lite.html

It would require you to have the files on a Server and pre-packaged, which might be a pain. At the least, it will give you some ideas on what you can do.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Thank you!! Just what I was looking for! Now all I have to do is find a way to put it all together with a cart. I have to somehow add the jpg-files to a zip-file, and then e-mail it to them. Maybe I can translate the PHP to perl.

Unless someone else have an even better idea...

Originally posted by reptilian-fe
    Thank you!! Just what I was looking for! Now all I have to do is find a way to put it all together with a cart. I have to somehow add the jpg-files to a zip-file, and then e-mail it to them. Maybe I can translate the PHP to perl.

Unless someone else have an even better idea...
    Translate PHP to Perl...Why

PHP is free, and it runs on Linux, you should have not problems using it if you are already familiar with Perl.

http://www.php.net/