Thumbs up which laptop to buy ?

Hi.

say with around $800-$1000 bugdet,

which is the best laptop to buy.

I want your recommendation on the following:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/
    >> NoteBook Computers
    >> 900MHz or more

Ashton Digital Advance 7 / AMD Athlon 4 1GHz / 20GB / 128MB / 56K / NIC / 8x DVD / 14" XGA / Windows XP Home / Notebook

The Advance 7 is a brand-new Gigahertz notebook innovation utilizing the latest technologies. Powered by the AMD Athlon processor. The Advance 7 notebook also supports the new PowerNow... -- $999/-

P3 Direct / Intel Celeron 1.3GHz / 128MB / 10GB / 24x CD-ROM / 56K / NIC / 14.1" TFT / Windows ME / Notebook
    Notebook Price Destruction!
    P3's Intel 1.3GHz, 14.1-Inch TFT Super Deal!

You simply can't buy this much notebook for anywhere near this price! From P3 Direct comes this sleek,... - $899/-

http://www.interpromicro.com/commerc...=1027979101500

The A900 Series provides the maximum flexibility and caters to multiple needs no matter where you are. With its compact size and light weight, the A900 series is easy to carry and set up. Whether at school, office or home, A900 series provides the necessary basic computer functions and compatibility for all these environments. Expansion options are provided by way of 4 USB ports suitable for devices including card reader, CD-RW, Smart Handheld (PDA, mobile phone) and digital camera. To meet the needs of the modern Internet era, the A900 series also comes with a built-in V.90 56kbps modem and 10/100Mbps LAN adapter so that web surfing and e-mail retrieval can be done anywhere, anytime. Furthermore, the TV-out function is built-in for easier management of business presentation or home entertainment. There is also AC'97 Audio Codec to support SPDIF and to enable even better sound quality. The display system comprises a 14.1" XGA TFT-LCD screen with 1024x768 resolution; built-in 3D graphic engine and SMA shared video memory up to 64MB.

-- just $695 [but it has no PCMCIA slot]

http://www.interpromicro.com/commerc...=1028016150203

14" or 15.0" Active Matrix Color screen, Support Intel Pentium 4 Processors up to 2.4Ghz (socket N, 478 pins), 512KB or 256KB on-die L2 cache, No HDD included, 0MB DDR desktop SDRAM (512MB Max, PC21000-266/333MHz) 1 slots, supports up to 512MB, Optional: 8X DVD or Combo DVD/CD-RW , Built-in 56K data/fax modem and 10/100BT LAN Card, SiS 315 AGP 4X, 3D Video, Shared video memory 8/16/32MB, 3D stereo audio, Optional external Lithium Ion battery (no internal battery), Optional USB 3.5" FDD 1.44MB, Universal AC Adapter.

-- $1003 [no PCMCIA Slot either]

Things that I would run in the laptop:

#A

Win XP professional/home edition
    Micorsoft Office 2002
    Photoshop 7 / ImageReady
    DreamWeaver MX / Flash MX
    Windows Commander
    Cute FTP
    SSH Secure Shell
    Trillian
    Netscape 4.78
    Boson Router Simulator
    Opera
    Download Accelerator
    EPOC Connect -- for my diamond revo!
    Addweb 4
    eTrust eZ Antivirus
    Microsoft Money
    Offline Explorer
    NetCaptor [allows IE windows to be tabbed]

Main Browser: NetCaptor
    Main Email: Microsoft Outlook
    Secondary Browser: Opera

#B
    Redhat Linux 7.2 Install <can't live without it>

#C.
    <can live without it, but preferred>
    I might also install win98 SE, for:
    [i was never able to get good performance while playing games on win2k or winXP.. win98SE rocks for gaming]

>> need 4 speed
    >> midtown madness
    >> motocross madness
    >> quake 3
    >> unreal tournament
    >> half-life
    >> f22 lightening
    >> delta force 3

I am trying to replace my 600Mhz/256RAM desktop system as I am coming to the US and thus, don't want to lose my emails or my data. I will sell this desktop and then use the laptop only..

Mode of purchase: The laptop will be shipped to my friend in the USA. He will then DHL the laptop to me in Nepal. I have a friend in DHL here, so it is easy for me via DHL.

Please suggest on the best option for me.

-- all help appretiated..

Experienced OpenStack Admin For Hire
    regular as admin0 on freenode IRC on #openstack and #openstack-ansible channels

From past experiences, I would say that you shouldn't get any "generic" brand laptops. I recently purchased a Compaq laptop (is that generic?) from Circuit City and had to send it back to Compaq twice in the first few weeks of having it. Each time, they kept it for about a week.

I also purchased a new computer from ElitePC last year that just started to die on me. How ironic...it starts having problems 2 days after the 1 year warranty expires...???

I've learned from my mistakes....my next PC or laptop is going to be from either Dell or Alienware.
    "Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

To each it's own.. but my Compaq from work has had 0 problems. Never went back to Compaq or anything. It's still in perfect shape and there's nothing wrong with it. Treat them good, and you're usually ok. Unless you get a bad apple.

My only beef with it is, that it gets hot after awhile. But that's pretty much standard with laptops.. I guess.
    Jason

Originally posted by jayjay

My only beef with it is, that it gets hot after awhile. But that's pretty much standard with laptops.. I guess.
    Thats why I had to send mine back. It would get SO hot that it would turn itself off and wouldn't start back up. The first time I sent it to them, they said it was a software problem (lol). The same day I got it back, I had to call them again saying that they didn't fix it and that they needed to come get it again. Once the mainboard was replaced, I haven't had any problems with it turning off from the heat (although it still gets quite hot sometimes).
    "Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

What model do you have? Work bought us 700Z's. I've never had the heat problem where it shuts off. But it does get hot.
    Jason

Presario 710US

doesn't a heat-sink pad etc help ?

anyway.. so what is the recommendation ?

dell inspiron 2600 ?

Last edited by admin0; 07-30-2002 at 08:31 AM.
    Experienced OpenStack Admin For Hire
    regular as admin0 on freenode IRC on #openstack and #openstack-ansible channels

Just my 2-cents.

If I were going to buy a laptop on a budget, I'd take the first option - I've always been an Athlon supporter

No matter what you going to buy, every brand has their problems but you just can't realize that sometime.

ive had 3 compaqs and 1hp. the compaqs have had 0 problems, the hp had 2 or 3 i would go with a compaq. the one i have even has a nice slot for an extra battery.