Thread: Write Your Own?

Write Your Own?

Hey folks,

I was playing around with FreeBSD and decided to install Cyrus IMAP and Postfix. With the help of a HOWTO I found online, I was able to get a simple Web-based administration program for Cyrus up and running and was able to add email accounts, set quotas, etc.

Unfortunately, neither of the 4 major control panels (CPanel, Ensim, H-Sphere, Plesk) support Cyrus and Postfix. I'm considering writing my own control panel as a result. Is it worth my time to try to support these two pieces of software by making a control panel, or should I just stick with the software the major ones install by default?

Thanks,
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Plesk uses Qmail which is suppose to be better than Postfix.

Writing a brand new control panel just because of a specific software seem a little extreme. Control panel developements take time and effort, not to mention the real possibility of failure.

I suggest you stick with existing software for now, but put in a feature request to support postfix for the control panel that you use .

Peter

Talking Wheel

Lets try to re-invent the wheel - j/k

go for it if you want to go for it, but consider its ALOT of time and effort and work...
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

all people

I think all the people trying to create free control panels for windows, linux and freebsd should get togeather and create a top control panel.

This would mean instead of re-inventing the wheel, you will all be creating a control panel to match Cpanel ect.

If your interested please email me [email protected]

PS. im helping to write a control panel for freeBSD and plan on writting on for windows!

You may want to contact the developers of http://webcp.can-host.com
    Web-cp: an open source control panel: http://www.web-cp.net

true

I have been following that project.
    But im not sure if it would be easy to change it to a multi server version.
    Also changing it to windows may be a problem!

Its hard to develop a cp in a large group, things get complicated and uncoordinated, editing other peoples code....
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

Re: true

I had some ideas how it could be done. If I get on it, I could probably get it done in less then a week.
    Originally posted by jbuckle
    I have been following that project.
    But im not sure if it would be easy to change it to a multi server version.
    Also changing it to windows may be a problem!
    Web-cp: an open source control panel: http://www.web-cp.net

well

Once the database stuff has all been done and the validation its not very hard.
    Most of the stuff is easy!!!
    but it would be hard to convert it to multiserver.
    Also multi platform ins't easy!

I've wrote a simple Control Panel for FreeBSD using Exim as mailseamon. Wasn't that hard. I think making the GUI and checking the input was the hardest thing to do.

I may be willing to give my code out, but ONLY if other people would like to contribute to it. And the code I'll be giving out is the (php)deamon, and functions that control the adding of users / email aliasses.

(users & email aliasses are the only options I currently have developped). PM / mail me if you would like to have more information and when you are really SERIOUS in contributing CODE!!

All is written in PHP & MySQL