Feedback on Hostpacket & JaguarPC

Hello all, I have spent far too many hours viewing all of the available options out there. With a great amount of help from those who responded to my bid request thread and all of the returns to my various searches on this forum, I think I have my choice whittled down to two possible hosts: JaguarPC and Hostpacket.

I would truly appreciate any feedback about either of these hosts. It would be really great to hear from people who have used both, or have been with one of them for a long while. Also, if you happen to have MovableType on one of these hosts I would love to know how the install and day to day running has gone.

I am aware of the HostGUI threads and have decided to leave that out of my decision altogether. Though it looks great, I am not going to count it as a maor feature until it is released.

Again, thanks for all of the great help!

Alex

You can't go wrong with JaguarPC, they were my first host 2-3 years ago (if you take a look at there hostsearch results, i was one of the first people to post a good recommendation on it), well i'm not sure if it was hostsearch they used to have a link in cpanel to it. Support was excellent, you really can't go wrong with them, everything is conducted in a professional manner. Also you will have alot of fun on their support forums, trust me on this one

Hello,
    I want to say that you can't go wrong with JaguarPC. JaguarPC has a great solid company there with good support. We have a server there and can't be no happier. Greg, is a great guy as well as Eric and the others that I know there. Support is excellent as he said. Give Them A Shot you can't go wrong!

Hi, I actually use both.

JaguarPC I've been with the longest. Well, technically, I was with Palmversa (signed up in October), who got bought by JaguarPC, and my account was still on Palmversa's servers. Recently it was transferred over to Jag's servers. I'm actually one of those customers who doesn't need much support, but the one ticket I sent (concerning my site being down due to the server move) was answered instantly. Uptime has been good, and my visitors haven't complained.

Hostpacket I've used since July 17th. My account was set up in an hour. Support answered my pre-sales questions promptly, and the server speed is alright. When I initially uploaded my large multimedia gallery, ftp was rather sluggish. But then again, I am on dial-up. For the price I pay, I'm not complaining.

You can try my sites out. It's eccentrik.org for JaguarPC and ReadOrDie.org for Hostpacket. ROD.org uses more resources than Eccentrik.

By the way, what version of MoveableType were you thinking of using? The older version or the MySQL version?
    It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed... DOOMED!

These have been great replies so far! This is a hard decision for me as both hosts have such strong reputations. I appreciate your taking the time to answer and I hope more people do as well!

Lain, I will be installing MT 2.21 with MySQL support. I can't wait to get cracking! Very cool sites by the way. I really liked the design of Read Or Die.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Alex
    Last edited by neverwhere; 07-30-2002 at 01:01 PM.

I havent tried either host, but I have spoke with the owner of JaquarPC, and he is one of the nicest guys I have ever talked to.

Just thought I would give you my $.02 cents.
    Coming Soon!

Originally posted by JaysonH
    I havent tried either host, but I have spoke with the owner of JaquarPC, and he is one of the nicest guys I have ever talked to.

Just thought I would give you my $.02 cents.
    Thanks Jayson, that is very kind of you. *blushing*
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

I have to agree with Jayson he is a friendly and nice guy...

No problem Jag, truth is truth.
    Coming Soon!

Well I have worked with JaguarPC and I would have to say you can't go wrong if you go with them....

Regards,
    Michael
    <?
    header("Location: http://www.hostevolve.com/");
    ?>

What are the benefits of having a unique IP? I notice that the basic shared hosting packages at jaguarpc don't have them. Any drawbacks to this?

IP

To get your own SSL (not shared) you need your own IP

On the note of Jag, ive just recently had the experience of talking to greg one on one for the first time. very, very nice guy. And congradulations on gaining such a loyal following! You obviously deserve it. Keep it up - its nice to see reviews instead of flames once in a while
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec