Thread: Memory Usage

Memory Usage

Hi. Can anyone tell me how to Set the Limit on Swap space.

and how to limit the Buffer Size

Why would you want/need to do that?

I have 30 sites on the server and my memory is High

Mem: 192672K av, 174548K used, 18124K free,

Swap: 131536K av,
    812K used,
    130724K free
    76264K cached

HTTP server seem's to take all the memory
    A Tipical amount of Visitors in a period of 30 days is

is this ok
    Last edited by cobalt-serve; 07-30-2002 at 06:01 PM.

I think you need to add more ram first...............

hi.. i'd also like to know how to set swap space on a raq... i have 512mb ram and everyday i get an email saying 95+% is being used....

hi

I have an crazy question

Wat is diffrend between mem and swap? What is swap actually?

TNX.
    Regards.
    Babak

In a nutshell, swap is hard disk space used to hold data when there is not enough physical memory to accomodate all the processes running on the server. Swap isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it's slower obviously due to the physical read/write process to the drive.

Cobalt-Serve, add more memory. You've got 192MB, must be a 128MB + 64MB configuration. At a minimum, replace the 64MB SIMM with a stick of 256MB server grade RAM for $40. That's the obvious solution for you.

Waverz, what are you using your box for? What model is it, 3 or 4? I'd bet you've got an overloaded box, or a poorly coded application, or a (mis)configuration issue that's causing your problem. You'll need to fix what you've got, or if that's not the problem, upgrade to a new platform with more capacity.

HTH,

Brandon

If you need swap space on a Raq and have 512 mbs of ram, id recommend moving some sites off instead increasing the swap.
    Or check what drives the memory crazy.

On raqs its usually the analog logrotate and parsereport.pl that runs everyday causing the server to scream high on ram when there are lots of websites. Ortherwise, the logrotate is not working properly.

Ive also realized running the scheduled default raq backup utility everyday is not a good idea if you have lots of sites.

Ive also realized running the scheduled default raq backup utility everyday is not a good idea if you have lots of sites.
    It's not a good idea because it's a worthless exercise. Go with raqbackup.sh instead.

Brandon