anybody familiar with a socket program?

We want to have a Socket program which is written in C Language for Linux O/s which will allow our Special Clients To Establish Connection On Specified port for transmission of Data. This Program will be Running 24 hours of the day. and also require to have Database Support & Queuing System. Tell us which database we should use. How to go about accessing it. And How to Execute the program.

I havent heard of anything like this but this person wants to do this in a shared environment, should this person need some sort of dedicated box?

I would suggest a dedicated box. I dont see them running this without shell access, and I think they will end up needing one. Also this seems like a heavy job, they appear to know not much, and are expecting you to help them a lot.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

httpd is a "socket program" in this sense. All they are asking (it seems) is if they can run a daemon on your server to serve something other than web pages, being access by some client application.

I would say "no." The simple fact is that if they are running a specialized daemon on your server, you have no idea what it is doing and you have no easy way to monitor bandwidth usage, actually no way at all if they are on a shared IP.

Their best bet is a virtual dedicated server or a dedicated server.
    <!-- boo! -->

Good Lord. Do they want you to comb their hair and tie their shoes for them too?

They're asking an awful lot, especially in a shared environment. Unless you offer true shell access (allow background processes, IRC bots, etc.), they'll be s.o.l. in a virtual environment.
    - joey

Thanks for your input, it was so vague we needed some sort of hint. we dont allow any of that garbage.

I have seen this done before, its normally ok as long as you make sure the daemon is running as their username, just dont stick in xinetd config and have it running as root
    Jay Kramer - Operations Manager
    Affordable Colocation and Dedicated Servers
    www.colostore.com 1-877-719-3698

Yeah, I wouldnt allow any background daemons. IRCd would fit into that description and you certainly dont want that running on your server.
    Kevin Bombino
    Founder
    Action Verb, LLC