FastServers.net - My opinion

Based on this forum, I researched this company and spoke with Aaron this morning. Obviously I liked what I heard, I just signed up for a dedicated server (the P4, not Celeron), with the CPANEL add-on. They do the nameserver duty as well so that's another thing I don't need to worry about.

As I was in the same boat recently, I will use this thread to post my experiences with this company, so that others can know what to expect.

I placed the order and signed the contract about 30 minutes ago. I was quoted about 24 hour setup time. Hopefully, I'll be posting the next chapter tomorrow if it's ready to go by then.

Initially, I'll be setting up about 15 domains (these websites use little space and almost no bandwidth) under a virtual configuation (they'll all share one IP address). Once I set them up on the new server, I'll change the nameserver on TUCOWS and in 1-2 days everything should be golden. If all goes well with that, I'll start moving the bigger sites to their own IP addresses in the same fashion. Things I'm hoping are very easy:

1) Setting up domains (virtual or IP)
    2) Setting up email and FTP accounts (looks like cake)
    3) Setting up MX records (looks easy in CPANEL)
    4) Installing PERL modules (Aaron said it was easily done in the CPANEL)

I'm a little green running a real web server, been on AIT (www.ait.com) "Server3" setup for a few years and very used to their bad service and expensive options! Ready to be dazzled by a great company!
    Last edited by RandyL712; 07-29-2002 at 04:06 PM.

I"ll be waiting your review . They are our top choice for next purchae of a cpanel server, and webreseller for our next plesk server.
    Last edited by AcuNett; 07-29-2002 at 05:43 PM.
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

I think your review will be something like OUTSTANDING or A+++ or something along the line.

AcuNett, I guess we're neighbours now. Enjoy the superb customer service!

I'm eyeing FastServers for our next CPanel server as well... I'll be interested in hearing your review
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Originally posted by k6cheung

AcuNett, I guess we're neighbours now. Enjoy the superb customer service!
    I can fell the love j/k

I signed up at Fastservers.net recently as well, and was given access to the server on Saturday. So far, so good, I've been impressed at this point!

Fastservers.net My Choice for dedicated and co-location hosting

I must say Fastservers.net by far is my choice for dedicated and co-location services. Aaron is great and the company is fantastic. Aaron more orders coming your way I like your <a href="http://www.fastservers.net/dedicated/fsp1600-quarterly.shtml">FSP1600</a>Fastservers.net my choice for dedicated and co-location

Re: Fastservers.net My Choice for dedicated and co-location hosting

Originally posted by Bangs
    I must say Fastservers.net by far is my choice for dedicated and co-location services. Aaron is great and the company is fantastic. Aaron more orders coming your way I like your <a href="http://www.fastservers.net/dedicated/fsp1600-quarterly.shtml">FSP1600</a>Fastservers.net my choice for dedicated and co-location
    VB code only.

But yes, fastserver.net look good.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Bob, you mentioned in another thread that you were going to order a dual pIII server from them. Did you? What happened?

yes, they sound good, pretty fast response times so far!

30 hours later, about to call it a day here. No server yet, but communication is good and I have PCAnywhere so I'll be working on this tonight if it's ready!

Originally posted by freakysid
    Bob, you mentioned in another thread that you were going to order a dual pIII server from them. Did you? What happened?
    Not yet. I'll probably stay with NAC providers. Keeping my options open for now.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by RandyL712
    30 hours later, about to call it a day here. No server yet, but communication is good and I have PCAnywhere so I'll be working on this tonight if it's ready!

Randy:

Your should have recieved your setup e-mail about an hour ago. I just spoke with the installer and he told me it was done and in your hands.

Turnaround time on it was about 30 hours total. FastServers.Net average turnaround time is about 36 hours, with some installs happening in 18-24 hours and others taking about 48 hours. We do like to allow a little bit of time for the server to burn in when possible but realize that getting a server quick is important to a lot of people.

I hope you enjoy your server and let the rest of the WHT communinity know your honest feedback on our services.
    FastServers.Net
    More than a Server, It's a Solution
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation

Re: FastServers.net - My opinion

Initially, I'll be setting up about 15 domains (these websites use little space and almost no bandwidth) under a virtual configuation (they'll all share one IP address).
    options! Ready to be dazzled by a great company!
    Very similar to my own needs -- and I ordered yesterday -- so we have two of us reporting.

-Mike Hihn
    www.pugetnet.com

Latest update - the server was indeed setup last night and I've been playing with it, looks great and a lot of fun

Just waiting for the nameserver to propogate so I can start changing a real domain name over to the new server!

Again - service is A+. Had a few technical quesitons, I think they actually replied before I hit send

Some crossed communication led to about 24 hours of wasted time yesterday, but their tech support is still terrific and we get everything working! I'm not hosting domains on their server

The connection was pretty slow this morning, but things seem to be working fine now. More details to come.
    Last edited by RandyL712; 08-01-2002 at 12:42 PM.

Randy,

This is far from the status quo, I think you will find.
    In all honesty the flaky network this morning @ MAE West / HE is the 2nd time all year we have seen any widespread networking issues of this nature. I know it is difficult to just take my word for it, but I'm confident the rock solid connectivity we've been used to for 6+ years will be a constant for months to come, once things are completely ironed out today.

The network engineers are doing their absolute best.

Please let us know via our support team if you have any questions in the interim.

Our apologies for the trouble this morning.

Wow, thanks for the response- I had already edited my post to reflect that the speed is fine now! Thanks again.

They are the best in the business right now. If you are a growing company, Fastservers is the way to go. I already have three servers with them and I will be adding few more soon.

Just want to let folks know the status:

TERRIFIC. Answer my tech questions at all hours

Thumbs up

I used to have my servers at WeinBar and then Burst, but decided to move to Rackspace in April this year. Rackspace is nirvana, I don't need any help with the UNIX admin, but I am 100% sure the support is there when anything really bad happens. They respond within an hour and the support is very competent. With all these multi 100 GB offers that pop up now days I decided to try one out to be able to offer my clients plans with more bandwidth as well. Bandwidth with Rackspace is to expensive and my options were Nocster and RackShack. Since I reside in Europe the network connectivity is important. I monitored a couple of servers at Nocster and RackShack for a couple of weeks and the conclusion was that none of them was good enough from Europe. Latency to Nocster is very good from Europe, but packet lost occurred regularly. A Deja Vu from my time with Burst come to my mind. This was the reason why I left Burst. Packet loss is devastating for a server that is to be used from Europe. A rate of 3% makes the server unacceptable slow. RackShack did not show these kind of packet loss, but on the other hand, the latency did increase considerably during day- and evening time in the US. Latency between 500-1000 msec is not good enough.

I decided to pass these multi 100 GB deals an continue to offer my customers accounts with bandwidth far below 10 GB. But, then FastServers.net got my attention. They offered 200 GB and the network connectivity to Europe was very good despite they reside in the West Coast. They shown a continuous latency of about 180 msec which is acceptable and almost never any packet loss. I decided to sign up with them and took advantage of their WHT deal, 350 GB, and there support has been excellent. I do compare them with the support I get from RackSpace and so far it has been no less fanatical than RackSpace. The support admin person that set the server up was excellent, we had an dialog and he always answered promptly when I had any questions. I have only had one support ticket so far and that ticket was handled very good. The problem was addressed within 5 hours and solved as well. For a non-critical problem I am very satisfied with that. The support seems to be reliable and the Helpdesk seems to work. I don't need to hunt support through other channels, like AIM, phone etc.

Regarding the network connectivity, I am very happy with it from Europe. I continuously monitor the server and the servers at RackSpace. Feel free to look at the result. You will find it at http://akut.etableraweb.com:82/monitor .

I will of course keep my boxes with RackSpace, but it looks like FastServers.net might be an alternative as well as a complement in order to be able to provide high bandwidth accounts.

Best regards
    lennart