Unhappy Rack shack policy

Hey, I dont know if anyone else has had this problem before but, I ordered my first dedicated server from rack shack. Being the n00b I am to the web hosting world I automaticaly figured it came with a control panel. Also I spoke to an icq op and they also confirmed this a few months ago when I was in the market for a server. When I got the confirmation e-mail I realized that It did not say anything about a control panel or something. Being that you have to call and confirm the server I did just that and inquired about this to the operator. The operator said that a control panel such as ensim or plesk was not installed on the server. When I found this out I was upset, it was 8 p.m. est. (approx.) and I asked if I could exchange it. Being that I still wanted the server. The operator said that I would have to call back the next day when customer service was in. I did just that The next morning I called and was told that It would be 100$ to exchange the server, I did not feel this was fair for me to pay 100$ for a server that costed me 100$ a month to rent. So I asked for a refund. I was told that I could not get one. So I asked if plesk or ensim could be installed on the server for a fee. The customer service rep transfered me to technical suppport, where I spoke to an extremely nice rep. The only bad part of this was that he suggested that I get an illegal version of ensim and pay someone to insall it. I was suprised to hear this coming out of the mouth of an employ. But besides the point the real reason for this post is that I would like to request a change in the refund policy. I had the server for less then 24 hours and I reported the problem within 30 min. I would not have a problem if i had to pay a more reasonable fee for a restock or exchange, but 100$ is rediculous for a server that costs 99$ a month. If a change in the policy or something of the sort would be created I think that rack shacks customers would all agree it would be a good thing. Unfortunately I was forced to go with another company =\ I still want my rack shack server but I dont think that will ever happen.

I don't think they are goign to change their policy. I suggest if you do not like them to go with a different provider. There are hundreds of them out there. A few whose names commonly come up here are fastservers.net , webreseller.net, wholesalecolo.com , and eservers.biz. Have a nice day.

Isn't there normally a price difference between an Ensim server, and a whitebox?

IT differs with rackshack, but if you read it, it will say something like rh linux, ensim, plesk, whitebox.
    Patrick Schrader

IT differs with rackshack, but if you read it, it will say something like rh linux, ensim, plesk, whitebox.
    Exactly, you have to understand what you're buying before you do. Not only unmanaged servers but unmanaged sales . It's a tricky game, but you can only be so nice when operating business with such a low per-server profit margin.

Might want to consider learning a little linux before moving into the control panel arena. Linux by itself is very good and with the proper free scripts (such as WebMin) can make life very easy for you.

-Matt
    Matt Meier, RackNine Inc.
    email: mmeier@racknine.com
    web: http://www.racknine.com

I wouldn't suggest any newbies install webmin on a rs server, cause as soon as you **** something up, they will use it as an excuse to not help you.
    Patrick Schrader