* How efficient are topic titles like "BLOWOUT", "SPECIAL" and "KILLER OFFER"?

I keep seeing these new titles for advertising offers. Even I used them many times. I am asking though, how efficient are they? If people start seeing same old titles for "blow out" offers here on WHT, will they still be attracted to click and see more?

What words do you usually use to announce your offers? Are you somehow feeling you always use the same formats? What do you think the best way to place a title on your offers is?

Keep them coming....
    Community Manager @ Cloudflare
    I'm on Twitter too. DMs open.
    Passionate about photography.
      1 Not allowed!

Smart consumers know that these types of offers are great for buying furniture or cars, but bad for web hosting. Hosting is a long-term situation, not a one time sale, and they want to know that their host is going to be there long-term. Crazy sales make a web host look desperate. If you are having a special, be reasonable about it, and use a simple, honest word like "special."

I think its ok to use sales to encourage potential customers to be more decisive and spend less time thinking about your competition, but phrases like "Blow-out" and "killer offer" make it sound like you'll be out of business tomorrow.

I guess it all depends on the type of clientele you want to attract.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.
      1 Not allowed!

They don't do much for me

Thread moved.
      0 Not allowed!

thanks for putting this in the proper forum anon. would be interesting to hear from others too.
      0 Not allowed!

I think it depends on the type of market you are trying to attract. People who want to spend $1/month for 10gb account will probably find it helpful to see the big BLOWOUT SPECIAL FIRESALE text.

I think that any serious website owner who is looking for high quality hosting will be much more concerned about the company, rather then the price.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!
      0 Not allowed!

just put " free web hosting" in your ad titles.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post
    just put " free web hosting" in your ad titles.
    That would get the moderator's attention
      0 Not allowed!

right. better again use the plain old "on sale"
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    That would get the moderator's attention

perhaps, but that doesn't mean they will do anything about it.

free webhosting......then the ad says to get it you have to pay for something first. riiiiiiiiiiight. that's ok.

Sneaky Little Hobbitses
      0 Not allowed!

It could be just me, but these words don't mean that much. Although they might get my attention a bit, they'll be a two edged sword. If the special is not all that special, I feel tricked, and when I feel that you tricked me, I don't like you that much anymore.

So, the most important thing is IMO, to make your special special.

Second, in my case, the special is very unlikely to be the reason to choose a company. So, while I'd probably take advantage of the special because it's there, I was going to buy your product anyway.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 09-21-2007 at 09:11 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Heh, it's a very good question actually. I've tried those words a few times and perhaps some capitals - but I don't think it does much good, they're all expected (especially at WHT)!

With my recent offer, I decided to stay quite simple and put this trailing the topic title: "premium web hosting for top notch premium websites" - I wonder if this will attract anybody? After all, I do consider our service as a premium one and I'd like to attract people who want to do serious business hosting their website - not just on-the-fly clients who host anywhere and everywhere.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post
    perhaps, but that doesn't mean they will do anything about it.

free webhosting......then the ad says to get it you have to pay for something first. riiiiiiiiiiight. that's ok.

I put "unlimited space, bandwidth, etc." in one of our ad titles. Then in the body I put something like "...is ridiculous. For some realistic offers...".

I had a record number of views, for our ads, on that one. That's not something you can get away with more than once though.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    I put "unlimited space, bandwidth, etc." in one of our ad titles. Then in the body I put something like "...is ridiculous. For some realistic offers...".

I had a record number of views, for our ads, on that one. That's not something you can get away with more than once though.

--Tina
    Love it Tina, very interesting. Don't have to say any numbers or anything, but I'm curious if it actually converted more sales than a normal thread? Would be interesting if those looking for unlimited actually went for the realistic offers...
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Love it Tina, very interesting. Don't have to say any numbers or anything, but I'm curious if it actually converted more sales than a normal thread? Would be interesting if those looking for unlimited actually went for the realistic offers...
    Actually, because it deviated so far from our reputation, a lot of people looked to see if we had lost our minds. Quite a few posts about how they couldn't believe we were doing something like that.

I can't remember the details, I think its been at least a year ago.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

When advertising, I always use keywords that will interest buyers that the product would suit. For a smaller plan, for example, phrases such as "small business" or "personal" would work better than "blowout" or "killer offer". If a person just wants a place to put up some family photos, they aren't interested in killer offers or blowout sales. They are interested in something that will fit their needs. Using titles that are descriptive usually help attract customers. If you needed a large plan, and you saw an ad that said "Killer Offer! Tons of space and bandwidth!" and one that said "Enterprise Plan - For large bussinesses", which would you choose?
      0 Not allowed!

Might get some more views, but it never really converted more sales. Better to stick with more normal titles.
    LaneHost.com | Professional Web Hosting Solutions
    Affordable Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers at Great Prices!
    Follow us on Twitter!
      0 Not allowed!

For me I usually get irritated by those offers stating these words, unless it came from a reputable company, which most do not make such form of advertising.

These words do indeed attract attention. You can sell 1GB disk space with 10GB bandwidth for $100 on your website, and say 90% discount, and it is still a large discount, but in the end, the discount only brings the reasonable price, while the actual price listed on the website is ridiculous.
      0 Not allowed!

wow, you sure like to revive the "dead" - this thread is sooo old, but yet so currently overused for those keywords
      0 Not allowed!

Found this thread from another thread, and I just came in to get some insight on marketing tips.
      0 Not allowed!